cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it eBay telling me have an outdated browser when my browser is current and up to date??

Why does eBay sends me a message that my browser is outdated, when it's the latest version, secure, and up to date???

"We noticed that you’re on an outdated web browser that may compromise your security as you shop online.
As of June 19, 2018 you will no longer be able to check out on eBay with your current browser."

I already dropped my eBay spending about 85% due to horrible search results and most of good sellers leaving, do they want to lose another paying customer???

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Why is it eBay telling me have an outdated browser when my browser is current and up to date??

Where is this email coming from - ebay's email or your personal email?

Are you sure it is even legit and not phishing?

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

@mrv71 wrote:

Why does eBay sends me a message that my browser is outdated, when it's the latest version, secure, and up to date???

"We noticed that you’re on an outdated web browser that may compromise your security as you shop online.
As of June 19, 2018 you will no longer be able to check out on eBay with your current browser."

I already dropped my eBay spending about 85% due to horrible search results and most of good sellers leaving, do they want to lose another paying customer???

What browser are you using and what version?

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

"You may need to update your browser: You will not be able to access your PayPal account using an outdated browser after June 30th. See if you need to update your browser."

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-check-and-update-my-web-browser-faq3893

Check the list of browsers that PayPal SAYS they will be supporting. That's probably why eBay sent the notification.

This is the same thing USPS did a month or two ago. (USPS still shows a red banner for browsers I'm using that work perfectly fine with the USPS website and meet the TLS requirements).

In short, PayPal is no longer going to support browsers that don't support TLS 1.1 or preferably TLS 1.2 protocols to comply with PCI DSS requirements, but their warnings and list of browsers goes way overboard in term of restricting what browsers they will permit (only pretty much the newest)

Hopefully, just as with the USPS rollout of the new security requirements, they will allow older browsers not on their list that meet the PCI requirements (ie: they say Firefox 49 or better, but Firefox 23 supports TLS1.1 and Firefox 24 supports TLS1.2). I suspect they may be going to TLS1.2 minimum, which will prevent access by some browsers.

Big chart of browser capabilities in the middle of this page for those interested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security 

More background info:

https://blog.pcisecuritystandards.org/migrating-from-ssl-and-early-tls

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

I got the same email, but since I'm suspicious of those type of emails purported to be  from ebay, I went to my ebay account and found the message.  It gave me a link to click on, and if the link worked your browser was OK which mine was. 

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

@mrv71 wrote: 

You have joined the ranks of those who preceded you.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

@mrv71 wrote:

Scattershot.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

It was a real eBay message, in My Messages eBay folder. My brower is SeaMonkey v. 2.49.1. I vaguely remember recieving a similar message from PayPal, and it passed the test - I know that there's nothing wrong with my browser.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

@mrv71 wrote:

It was a real eBay message, in My Messages eBay folder. My brower is SeaMonkey v. 2.49.1. I vaguely remember recieving a similar message from PayPal, and it passed the test - I know that there's nothing wrong with my browser.

You sure? https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/resolving-technical-issues/technical-issues?id=4220

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

@mrv71 wrote:

My brower is SeaMonkey v. 2.49.1.

That says it all right there. Time for a new browser.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

•My brower is SeaMonkey v. 2.49.1

eBay isn't known for getting things like this right, possibly just based the determination on a simple reading of the browser user- agent and Seamonkey wasn't on the list of invited guests even though PayPal determined it was fine (either via useragent and looking up browser capabilities from that, or via deeper testing and possibly checking TLS support capabilities - which is what this is all about)

If PayPal says you are ok, I wouldn't worry about it.
Message 11 of 27
latest reply

Automatic updater is still broken for SeaMonkey. Current version is 2.49.3. Download from here https://www.seamonkey-project.org/ and to meet PCI Compliance requirements under Edit>Preferences>Privacy & Security>SSL/TLS make sure TLS 1.0 is unchecked.
Message 12 of 27
latest reply

@berserkerplanet wrote:

"You may need to update your browser: You will not be able to access your PayPal account using an outdated browser after June 30th. See if you need to update your browser."

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-check-and-update-my-web-browser-faq3893

Check the list of browsers that PayPal SAYS they will be supporting. That's probably why eBay sent the notification.

Opera is not on that list, however fully updated Opera passes the sandbox test. I've been checking out on Ebay with no problems.  USPS also makes no mention of Opera, but I have full access to their site.  So anyone using Opera, if you're fully updated you're good.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 13 of 27
latest reply

It's a peeve of mine that there are alot of charlatans in IT.  So you have in-house people that don't know anything farming work out to body shops that don't know anything.  It's development by magazine buzzword.  You remember that part of Anchorman where Ron Burgundy would read whatever somebody put on his cue cards?  Same principle.  All it would take to shut down half this country is for CIO Monthly to print a story about keyboards being secret Kremlin synergy stealers.  An emergency alert would go out, every keyboard in the building would be trashed, and scores of personnel would be idled for however long it took the sparkling intellects to realize what they'd done.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

Usually, sites will detect your browser's user-agent string before reporting that your browser may be 'outdated' and 'no longer supported.' It's entirely possible to spoof / edit your user-agent string to purport that you're using a newer browser version, or a different browser entirely. I'm using a Firefox derivative called Pale Moon, and it's a rather outdated version that's specifically tailored to my computer's configuration. But I spoof my user-agent string so eBay and other sites get the impression that I'm actually using the latest version of Firefox. As of yet, none of eBay's functions have become broken or inaccessible to me.

But I guess I should caution against doing this in some cases, as old browsers can have major security flaws. In this case, you appear to be using SeaMonkey, which should be perfectly safe. Just be proactive about checking for browser updates. If eBay or PayPal continue to report compatibility issues, then you may consider spoofing your user-agent string via an extension such as this one: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/user-agent-switcher/
Message 15 of 27
latest reply