cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is eBay lying to us?

This is a response to eBay’s claims that the new “Application Access” authorization is to repair the avatars and feedback that have been missing from the eBay community, originally posted here: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Share-Community-Platform/Intermittent-issues-on-Community-platform-mis...

The information mentioned is freely available to anyone. You do not need any form of application authorization to retrieve this information. 

As evidence to back up this claim, I will have to give an explanation of exactly what these “Grant Application Access” messages are, how the eBay API works, and what information is freely available.

What is the eBay API?

The eBay API is basically a system that will allow software to communicate with eBay and exchange information/data. Much of eBay’s website uses the API to retrieve the information that it displays on the “My eBay” and “Sellers Hub” pages.

What information is available through the API?

In basic terms, there’s basically two classes of information that are available on eBay. For this explanation I’ll be calling them Public and Private.

For example, when you’re browsing eBay and looking at other users' listings, the information you’re seeing is “public”. This means anyone can see the information. You could see the item they posted, the photos, the pricing, etc.

In another example, if you go to revise your own listings, you’ll see all the “public” information that was shown, but since you’re logged in to your own account, you also have access to seeing additional information such as rate tables, handling time, promotion values, etc. This is the “private” information. Typically, you could only see “Private” information on your own account. 

Some functions of eBay are private as well. If you try to create a new listing, that is considered a “private” function. Nobody else could create new listings for your store. Only you could.

What are these “Grant Application Access” pages?

Let’s say for example that I’ve created a piece of software to assist with creating listings, and checking recent orders to see if any of the listings that were created sold. We’ll say in this example that the name of this software was “ExListing Manager”

By default, “ExListing Manager” could use the eBay API to check information that is public.

Now you’ve learned about “ExListing Manager” and you’d like to try it. Once you’re registering for the software, it’ll direct you to a webpage that states:

Grant Application Access: ExListing Manager

If you agree to this request, it basically generates a token (let’s say like a password) that will allow “ExListing Manager” to access your private eBay data. 

Prior to agreeing, if “ExListing Manager” attempted to create a listing on your store, it wouldn’t be allowed. But after you had agreed, it can send the request to create a listing to the eBay API, and it can now use the token, and eBay would allow the software to create the listing on your behalf.

“ExListing Manager” also is supposed to track if the listings it creates are sold. So it will also be using API to check your sold listings. It could check for notifications from the API with your token to confirm if an order is processing, and then typically once an order is paid, that would trigger the software to basically say “The item sold! Let’s increase the sold number by 1”.

How are we being lied to?

EBay had claimed that this new authorization for the eBay community was to restore the avatar images and feedback modules that had not been working for a couple months now. For those of us who have experience with the eBay API and know what the Application Access grants, we know this is a lie.

The store avatar images and feedback? Those are both pieces of PUBLIC information. You do not need any private access to retrieve these images. Just like how you could go to another sellers store page and see their images and feedback on the eBay website directly, software could do this with the eBay API without any special access.

To prove this, I’ve tested it myself. I browsed to the eBay homepage and one of the daily deals it’s giving me is for this listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/202694169021

If I use the eBay API call “GetStore”, with this sellers name: “harmanaudio”, I do not have any “Application Access” for them. I will only be retrieving public information. The full information is quite long, but this is an excerpt from the results that I receive from the eBay API:

{

"$": {

"xmlns": "urn:ebay:apis:eBLBaseComponents"

},

"Timestamp": "2021-11-19T18:23:12.611Z",

"Ack": "Success",

"Version": "1177",

"Build": "E1177_CORE_API5_19110890_R1",

"Store": {

"Name": "Harman Audio",

"URLPath": "harmanaudio",

"URL": "http://www.ebay.com/str/harmanaudio",

"SubscriptionLevel": "CustomCode",

"Description": "Welcome to the official eBay store for the Harman family of brands: JBL, Harman Kardon, AKG, and Infinity. Shop premium wireless speakers, headphones, home speakers, car speakers, and more!",

"Logo": {

"URL": "http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTE0WDIwMA==/z/FqcAAOSwdBRZg6by/$_1.JPG?set_11.JPG?set_id=807"

},

Sure enough, you could see in the “Logo” > “URL” section, there’s the avatar image. Again, I want to stress this is all public information freely available to the eBay API without any Application Access.

Then I could use the GetFeedback API call on the same store and here is another excerpt:

{

"$": {

"xmlns": "urn:ebay:apis:eBLBaseComponents"

},

"Timestamp": "2021-11-19T18:26:23.179Z",

"Ack": "Success",

"Version": "1201",

"Build": "E1201_CORE_APIFEEDBACK_19196963_R1",

"FeedbackScore": "197512",

As you could see, this information is all public, freely accessible information that does not require any form of Application Access.

And then for the URL links to others listings? You could literally do that with a URL and a simple store name:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/zamo-zuan/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from= 

Just change zamo-zuan to the username. You do NOT need the eBay API at all for this one!

The data already exists in the Community Forum servers

One more alarming thing is that we're being told this access is what's restoring the images. But if you take a look at existing posts in the dev console, you can see that the avatar images already exist on the Khoros/Lithium servers!

zamozuan_1-1637351297450.png

For the record, I retrieve that on another PC that was NOT logged in and NOT authorized! As you could see in the screenshot, the image already exists on the lithium server. No access to eBay is needed, and certainly not API access.

If the images already exist on the Lithium server, if we're not seeing them, then Khoros/Lithium itself is blocking us from seeing information on their own servers.

Yet we're being told that we need to approve access in order to see this information...?

So this brings me back to my original question…

Why is eBay lying to us about Application Access? What information is really being retrieved from our stores?

The only reason for Application Access would be to access any private information. What private information could the eBay Community possibly need? 

Furthermore, they’re not even following their own terms, as they are supposed to be transparent about the reasons they’re requesting access in the Application Access request itself. It even states if you click for more information that “Additional capabilities as described to you in the application or by the application’s provider” - and the eBay community does NOT describe what additional capabilities are being accessed. And as mentioned, the reason we’re being given does not require this type of access.

To make things even worse, it says “Just go to my eBay if you change your mind”. I tried to go there to monitor our 3rd party authorizations, and the preferences page isn’t even loading to allow us to see what applications are accessing our accounts, or remove their access! 

zamozuan_0-1637349991235.png

So what’s really going on here, eBay?

What private information is being accessed by the Community software?

Why is the request not even informing us of what is being accessed?

Why is the wool being pulled over community members' eyes?

Why are members being told reasons that could easily be debunked?

Message 1 of 81
latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

Why is eBay lying to us?

Because ebay thinks the majority of sellers are too dumb to put the pieces together and don't care about the ones who are smart enough to figure it out.

Message 2 of 81
latest reply

Why is eBay lying to us?

Frankly, I don't care.   I get to see FB and listings links now that were MIA for a few months.  The machinations ebay or khoros had to go thru to make it work is not my concern.

Message 3 of 81
latest reply

Why is eBay lying to us?

@zamo-zuan wrote:

To make things even worse, it says “Just go to my eBay if you change your mind”. I tried to go there to monitor our 3rd party authorizations, and the preferences page isn’t even loading to allow us to see what applications are accessing our accounts, or remove their access! 

It loads just fine on my selling accounts that did not grant access to the forums. I get the error you depict above when trying to load that page through this posting ID.

Message 4 of 81
latest reply

Why is eBay lying to us?

@zamo-zuan 

My question also. I use the grant flow in my own API access and have asked the team why permission is needed when the data is in the public API database. As you know from the API, the application must provide a scope for the call. The grant screen has a link to what is being requested (the scope), but it wasn't yet working. Can you reach it now? I'm apparently not passing through that grant screen, so can't test.

In the community, there is also the option to use the Khoros login to access the core site. Can you find that in your quest? That might be the reason for the grant flow.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 5 of 81
latest reply

Why is eBay lying to us?

@alcoforever wrote:

Frankly, I don't care.   I get to see FB and listings links now that were MIA for a few months.  The machinations ebay or khoros had to go thru to make it work is not my concern.

The point is, the API access should have nothing to do with restoring those. Especially considering the information is already on the servers.

And the access is granting them access to check who knows what of the private information on our account. It's a privacy concern. And it's all the more concerning when the reasons we're being told can be verified as false.

Message 6 of 81
latest reply

Why is eBay lying to us?

@coffeebean832 wrote:

@zamo-zuan wrote:

It loads just fine on my selling accounts that did not grant access to the forums. I get the error you depict above when trying to load that page through this posting ID.

That screenshot is directly from the account I am posting on now, which is our main account, and not a posting ID.

Message 7 of 81
latest reply

Why is eBay lying to us?

@shipscript wrote:

@zamo-zuan 

My question also. I use the grant flow in my own API access and have asked the team why permission is needed when the data is in the public API database. As you know from the API, the application must provide a scope for the call. The grant screen has a link to what is being requested (the scope), but it wasn't yet working. Can you reach it now? I'm apparently not passing through that grant screen, so can't test.

In the community, there is also the option to use the Khoros login to access the core site. Can you find that in your quest? That might be the reason for the grant flow.

I'm not sure how to get the access request back again, I attempted on different PC's and it's no longer asking us. And of course, since the revoke access page isn't working, I can't remove it to try again, lol.

Even if that were the case, it would leave much unexplained. As this account has always used the eBay login rather than the Khoros one. They were saying this is the reason for listing link not to appear, and you literally don't need anything but the store name to fill the URL for that. And as mentioned in the post, the images are on their servers already. The reasons they are giving would still be false. 

Message 8 of 81
latest reply

Why is eBay lying to us?

My point was that I didn't have a problem accessing it on an account that hasn't visited the forums. I only had an issue accessing it with an account that has visited the forums. Presumably, the forum access is the cause of the error.

Message 9 of 81
latest reply

Why is eBay lying to us?

@zamo-zuan 

@coffeebean832 

I have had this error for the past few months on this account. This account once had a selling manager token and a long string of tokens for all of the File Exchange sites.  I had suspected something happened after File Exchange closed, but that is just speculation. On another account, one that had accessed Khoros and had used File Exchange until a year ago, the page opens and there are no 3P (third party) tokens at all.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 10 of 81
latest reply

Why is eBay lying to us?

@coffeebean832 wrote:

My point was that I didn't have a problem accessing it on an account that hasn't visited the forums. I only had an issue accessing it with an account that has visited the forums. Presumably, the forum access is the cause of the error.

I had actually had that message before granting permissions and after. So it doesn't seem that the community access request is causing this problem, it must be something else.

Message 11 of 81
latest reply

Why is eBay lying to us?

My selling account used to use selling manager- never used file exchange- has no issues loading that page.

This account has been used for nothing but posting on this forum and it's getting that error.

Your guess is better than mine- just relaying what specs I can to help you and zamo figure it out.

Message 12 of 81
latest reply

Why is eBay lying to us?

@zamo-zuan  - thanks for this in depth explanation! I was definitely wondering what is going on with this because yesterday when I logged in, my avatar was back but I was never presented with the grant access screen and have not agreed to the new permissions....at least as far as I'm aware of.

sheila@ebay  can you address these questions and concerns?

Message 13 of 81
latest reply

Why is eBay lying to us?

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@zamo-zuan  - thanks for this in depth explanation! I was definitely wondering what is going on with this because yesterday when I logged in, my avatar was back but I was never presented with the grant access screen and have not agreed to the new permissions....at least as far as I'm aware of.

sheila@ebay  can you address these questions and concerns?

Yep, it's very strange that we're being encouraged/forced to accept access to private information under false pretenses. On our end, it wouldn't let us log in to the community forums until we accepted access. So we were literally forced to give private access to our account in order to use the community forum.

If @valueaddedresource was not required to do the same, that makes it even more strange. What is determining these requirements? It doesn't feel good that we were forced to do it when others weren't.

Message 14 of 81
latest reply

Why is eBay lying to us?

We were told that ebay/Khoros could either 1. bring back the avatars etc later (I suspect when some sort of regularly scheduled API sort of thing occurs between the two companies) or we could get them back NOW but have to go through the authorization (which I gather eventually will be unnecessary. 

Doesn't bother me. I see nothing sinister here, I see no lies. 

Message 15 of 81
latest reply