cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When selling an item, what does "Display large photos in search results" mean?

Could you show me examples? I've tried it any didn't see any difference.. not sure what it is for.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Photos displayed in a search used to be really tiny, therefore, sellers could opt to pay for an enlarged photo to give browsers a better view.  (Some categories did not charge for this feature.)  The search photos contained the symbol of  a magnifying glass . . . hover and see a bigger photo.

However, when eBay began displaying much larger photos in search, the feature ceased to exist -- although it is still touted as a "feature."

In other words, don't pay for it because you will get nothing.

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Photos displayed in a search used to be really tiny, therefore, sellers could opt to pay for an enlarged photo to give browsers a better view.  (Some categories did not charge for this feature.)  The search photos contained the symbol of  a magnifying glass . . . hover and see a bigger photo.

However, when eBay began displaying much larger photos in search, the feature ceased to exist -- although it is still touted as a "feature."

In other words, don't pay for it because you will get nothing.

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@michaelrx50 wrote:

Could you show me examples? I've tried it any didn't see any difference.. not sure what it is for.

It is just more proof that eBay is run by people that know NOTHING about selling.  Once, there was only pictures that were in the description and I sold things like crazy, the only complaint was that my large pictures took too long to appear.

Then "Gallery" was created, a small thumbnail picture that was "FEE" based, and then free, and then REQUIRED.

I had always used an image hosting site for my Pictures, currently Photobucket, for the images in my description (still very big, but the Internet is faster now), but now eBay has their own image hosting and eBay wants us to use that and of course, they demand we do a LOT MORE WORK to use it.  Since it's part of Gallery now, we have to do things that most sellers or buyers couldn't care less about.  Most sellers just scan or photo their items and "pixels" don't mean anything to them.  All we care about is that it looks good.

All this interference by eBay has mostly resulted in fewer sales.

One disgusting development is the Mobile App.  It only allows buyers to see the Gallery pictures, limited to 12.  I have lost a sale because a buyer cannot see ALL the pictures in the description on an item he bought using his phone.  Had to give a refund.

What pictures and how big should be up to the seller.  Remember the things we list belong to US, not eBay.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

This is not correct. The feature with the magnifying glass to view larger images on the search page has recently returned, and I am very happy about it. It allows you to see a larger version of the main image plus all the other images shown in the listing (in gallery). Since you can see all the details without having to go to the item page, it saves buyers a lot of time while seraching for items.   

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Note: I was replying to the answer marked "solution" but it didn't show there.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Would you think this feature should be free as it makes the item better seen, thus sell better.  win win for everybody

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@jrsnakes wrote:

Would you think this feature should be free as it makes the item better seen, thus sell better.  win win for everybody

Ebay does not care about win/win, only that THEY win.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply