cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do? item says delivered, but buyer saying he never got it

I shipped to buyer. The tracking says delivery was unsafe and left notice. I told buyer just that, but still opened complaint saying he never got it. Do I fight it, or just refund him so that I don't get a defect?  Any help would be great, I don't have a lot of experience yet. This is the first time this has happened. 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

open a case with ebay.

you're protected. customer sounds like a jerk.

let ebay deal with the customer.  you're covered by the usps tracking information

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

If it was usps they can gps to the exact spot it was left at.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

It happened to me....they buyer loses; as long as it says delivered you are covered.  IMO DO NOT refund, let them open a case if they want to and deal with it through eBay. 

THey can call the USPS, ask who is the driver for their route and actually talk to them (usually in the PM) or the Postmaster can talk to them.

You should win!!

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I agree with the other posters. Don't cave in a give a refund when you're right. The tracking number is your insurance. Good luck!!
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Did they leave the package?  Or did they leave notice of attemtpted delivery which it seams is what you are saying.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

First, stick to your guns - you can show  the tracking and it will be either undeliverable (failed to pick up) and returned to you at which time you can refund the order less any shipping, or they have to go to the PO window to pick it up. 

It is a common thing with some unscrupulous buyers - they claim not delivered or late delivery hoping for a refund and soon as you do the refund they go to the PO and pick up the package.   Whatever you do do not refund until you have it back in your hands. 

Secondly, you can go to USPS and file for lost or stolen mail report stating that the buyer claims it has not been delivered,  the post office will either make another delivery attempt (to see if they catch them at home) or leave another notice - they will hold for pickup for some days generally 7 to 10 days before they return to sender.  In some cases, US Postal Inspectors will investigate and that knock on the door from guys with guns and badges can scare some would-be scammers straight.  

If they Do somehow gain a refund (I can't imagine how, unless they have some way to scam or smooth talk an ebay rep)  you can file a mail fraud complaint with USPIS and IC3.gov  (because if they get a refund and then go pick up the order at Post office, that is Mail Fraud.)

However, just stick to your guns and keep explaining that buyer must go to the post office to pick up their package because the mail carrier will not leave the package without delivering to the actual person it is addressed to. (It could be the buyer has already pulled the same thing, got reported, and USPIS is requiring packages to that buyer to be signed for.)  It'll either be returned (and then you refund when you have it in your hands) or it gets delivered. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

If it says delivery and your have a tracking number that all you need. No you don't give him a refund at all and if there opened complaint you just give ebay the tracking number and you win the case..
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I actually noticed that I posted this in the seller hub and not the selling forum, so I redid the post in the selling forum. Just like you guys everyone gave me great advice.

I ended up winning the case. I felt bad for the buyer because I wanted him to get his package. I tried messaging severa times and he never replied. Finally, when I won the case , did he respond. I'm hoping gets his package. I atleast wanted to give the guy good customer service and help him out in anyway I could.

But, thabks everyone for taking the time to help a newbie like me! I know I can always come here and get the support I need!
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

So the delivery spot was unsafe, but the driver left the package there anyway?  Why couldn't the USPS driver leave a note saying to pick it up at the PO?

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@willsfindsandtreasures wrote:

I shipped to buyer. The tracking says delivery was unsafe and left notice. I told buyer just that, but still opened complaint saying he never got it. Do I fight it, or just refund him so that I don't get a defect?  Any help would be great, I don't have a lot of experience yet. This is the first time this has happened. 

First let the buyer know they need to go pick item up at their PO. via ebay messages.  Send along a screen shot of the Tracking showing unsafe location.

Then enter the tracking into the case, call ebay and ask to have the case closed in your favor.

Refer to the "Buyer needs to pick up" message you sent due to unsafe location.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@postalnomore wrote:

open a case with ebay.

you're protected. customer sounds like a jerk.

let ebay deal with the customer.  you're covered by the usps tracking information

The seller isn't responsible, but I don't understand why you think the customer is a jerk. Some buyers are not aware that they don't have a case when they don't get items. They will learn.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

You should not feel bad.  You can't do a thing to make delivery better on his end.  You never know the situation the packages are in when left.  Maybe they need to get a po box.  Now that you have won you can still do whatever you want.  But unfortunately the old days of ebay are gone forever.  The best thing is probably forget the transaction and just move on. 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Do not refund .This is a problem between the buyer and the postal carrier at this point . Once a seller provides a tracking number  and ships , its out of their  hands . Your buyer is trying to make you take the fall for this issue  when he really should be contacting the postal service , get their address and go get the  package  himself . Trust me ,, they have it .

Message 14 of 14
latest reply