cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wayyyy!!! too much carp displayed to the buyer on the Item page

for a few months I've been getting more and more disgusted with the amount of carp being shown to me when I click on an item to view it.  It used to be that what I would see would be what is actually being offered for sale, with tabs for additional detail.

This morning I clicked on a typical lot (https://www.ebay.com/itm/354226352231) and received what prints out (terribly, by the way) as 12 pages, with only 2 of the 12 actually related to the item being offered.

Yes, the first screen shows the actual item pictures and would allow me to place a bid, but following that is a row of "Similar Sponsored Items", then a row of "Related Sponsored Items", occupying a full screen worth of space.

Then comes the almost hidden space for the item detail  tabs.  This item did not have much of a description, but there were so many images surrounding it that it was easy to miss it entirely. 

Following that was another row of "Similar Sponsored Items" then a row of "Explore more sponsored options: State"  Each pair of rows takes up a screen of real estate.  Then comes another row of "Related Sponsored Items" which appears to be an exact duplicate of the one presented earlier.  Then I get a row of "People who viewed this item also viewed", followed by a FIVE ROWS of "Find more sponsored items"

This totals ELEVEN ROWS of advertisements, totaling 55 image blocks.  The item itself is almost lost within the advertisements.  Even the item itself with 3 images, only gets to display one of them at a time, so it is outnumbered 55 to 1.

Almost all of this is related to me, personally, through my userid as a buyer.  When I ask a browser utility to capture the page (by doing an independent http retrieval), almost none of this is retrieved - just the basic item data.

The reason I put this in a seller conversation is that the entire eBay website is dynamic content and it is nearly impossible for a seller to see what a buyer sees.

THIS IS ABSURD.   Amazon makes recommendations, but AFTER the pertinent data on the item being clicked on.

Message 1 of 89
latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

Re: Wayyyy!!! too much carp displayed to the buyer on the Item page

I think you just offended 99.9% of the world's Koi population.

Anyway, I digress. Carry on... 

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 16 of 89
latest reply

Digress on - that gave me a good chuckle.  "Offended Koi of the world unite.  You have nothing to lose but your positive feedback percentage"

Message 17 of 89
latest reply

HAHAHAHA...agreed

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 18 of 89
latest reply

We know...it's the scramble so we can use the word.  Like SUK for...you know....  

The point of the post is getting through.

Can carp be eaten?  I see them on Andy Griffith Show and wondered if Carp are edible.  The town hates them!  Ha!

Message 19 of 89
latest reply

I get what you're saying, but I personally like to be informed.  Thanks.

Message 20 of 89
latest reply

We can?!?  Cool... We usually see ***** .  Thanks!  

To quote Bart Simpson: "Crap! Crap! Crap! Crap!"  That WAS fun!  Smiles!

Message 21 of 89
latest reply

I never look at an eBay page without an ad blocker.

Message 22 of 89
latest reply

You really need to stop carping about an issue you can't do anything about, and isn't going to change.

Message 23 of 89
latest reply

Just checked out one of your listings of a stamp with a duck,  and was shocked to see no less than 10 rows of sponsored adds, most of them of stamps with ducks!

So as a buyer, I get to compare your duck stamp with 100 other duck stamps on eBay without leaving your very own listing.

This comes as a surprise to me, as when I do buying for myself, I am usually in a hurry and very focused on the item’s description, so I ignore the adds, but for someone doing more leisurely shopping, surely a hundred adds offering very similar items would be a distraction. 

Message 24 of 89
latest reply

Yes, as a buyer, I can see that there are positives, but as a seller, I create a store with the idea of offering and organizing items so that buyers can buy from ME.  If I am outnumbered 50:1 by offerings from other sellers, it kind-of defeats the purpose of working to prepare a store.  Unless I pay extra, my other closely related items will probably no be included in the 50.  **bleep**?

Message 25 of 89
latest reply

5.30am when I made this post, so my maths is a bit out…

10 rows of ads equals 50 items, not 100. But that’s still a huge amount. 

Message 26 of 89
latest reply

not sure where you got the 100, but even 10 is too many, and they belong at the end of the listing, not in the middle.

Message 27 of 89
latest reply

I didnt read through all the replies -- but I agree. I sometimes just want to go look at the shipping details or the bidding history or the seller's store/feedback and its almost a maze on the android mobile app. I'm a millenial, if I'm struggling with technology and apps and finding stuff, how is anyone else doing it 🤣🤣

Message 28 of 89
latest reply

@ducks2k wrote:

Yes, as a buyer, I can see that there are positives, but as a seller, I create a store with the idea of offering and organizing items so that buyers can buy from ME.  If I am outnumbered 50:1 by offerings from other sellers, it kind-of defeats the purpose of working to prepare a store.  Unless I pay extra, my other closely related items will probably no be included in the 50.  **bleep**?

ding ding!! now you're getting it. 

You NEED to pay more. Period. It's not EVER going away. 

If you can't beat em, join em. 

Message 29 of 89
latest reply

but it is not even the paying that is bad - the advertisements just dominate and obscure the actual listing.  And when you click on one of the advertised items, they will be polluted as well.

Message 30 of 89
latest reply