cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning to eBay Sellers about buyer fraud

Apparently some buyers have figured out that they can get free merchandise by filing frivolous complaints. I ended up losing time, the $220 shipping cost, and the original item to this con artist. I'm extremely frustrated by what has happened to me, so I'd like to warn other sellers of the danger here. 

Tips:

1. If a buyer is aggressive or argumentative in any way before the item has been shipped, cancel the transaction immediately. In my case the buyer was discussing "refusing shipment" before even receiving the item, which was a big red flag.

2. Clearly list and photograph every deviation from new condition in your listing, or else put "as is" or "parts only" in your listing. Treat it like a legal agreement. Otherwise you risk a buyer getting a full refund and you lose your item, even if it is valuable. Unfortunately eBay tends to side with buyers, no matter how careful the seller is. The appeals process is slow and frustrating.

I'd love to hear other tips to avoid experiencing this again.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Unfortunately it is unavoidable with the number of reasons a buyer can open a claim. I always gauge it by the price of the product and how willing I am to spend my time on an argument. Most of the time I ask for the item to be returned and then give them back the percentage that is allowable depending on if the item came back in the same condition it was sent. You are 100% correct that the pictures and description of the item mean everything in whether eBay will side with the buyer and give them the full refund even if you only deem a percentage necessary. 

The percentage of buyers I have had doing this though is small in comparison to the percentage that are good and honest. 

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I should add that the $220 shipping cost was for an oversized 50" x 30" box containing a lighting modifier. This was the actual FedEx shipping cost.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

@teltuooutlet wrote:

Unfortunately it is unavoidable with the number of reasons a buyer can open a claim. I always gauge it by the price of the product and how willing I am to spend my time on an argument. Most of the time I ask for the item to be returned and then give them back the percentage that is allowable depending on if the item came back in the same condition it was sent. You are 100% correct that the pictures and description of the item mean everything in whether eBay will side with the buyer and give them the full refund even if you only deem a percentage necessary. 

The percentage of buyers I have had doing this though is small in comparison to the percentage that are good and honest. 

I believe this is true, too.  We hear the bad stories in the forums because people come here needing help or needing to vent and it's easy to get a jaundiced view.  But IMHO, the vast majority of people are decent and honest.

But it's good to always follow best practices, yes.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

That has been my experience also. Most buyers are fine. They communicate well and are in most respects good folks who, while looking for a bargain, are basically honest.  Are there any good warning signs for the occasional bad buyer?

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Are there any good warning signs for the occasional bad buyer?

We don't get too many, but we don't sell high fraud items and we no longer sell outside the US except Canada.

When a potential buyer emails us asking for additional pictures and we have many in the listing, wants to see a specific "area" of any item, asks exactly how we might "pack" it, "ship" it, I usually have my spidey sense up.  When potential buyers email ahead to ask if we use "signature confirmation", I usually wonder why they ask that on a $30 item.

The other posters are correct - most buyers really are not a problem.  We always remember the doozies though.  

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@gamer*gear wrote:

That has been my experience also. Most buyers are fine. They communicate well and are in most respects good folks who, while looking for a bargain, are basically honest.  Are there any good warning signs for the occasional bad buyer?

Your first point - pre-purchase or pre-shipment wrangling - is the clue for me - that's different from simple questions which I'm happy to answer.  It doesn't happen very often, just from time to time. 

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

When buyers complain the only response should be "return for refund". 

When they file with eBay, if you want any chance of getting the item back, you must approve the return.   You have to issue a label.  If the buyer does not return the item, then you can go after them via legal means.  

I wouldn't even offer shipping on an item that costs that much to ship, it would be local pickup only, in person payment only. 

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

So I assume you fought the return and let ebay step in?

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

This is false comfort: "Clearly list and photograph every deviation from new condition in your listing, or else put "as is" or "parts only" in your listing."

Buyers can still claim not as described. They don't even have to give a reason. This is because many sellers in here are also liars.

Our tip would be to use the Block List whenever you get the slightest hint of a problem. Ask a question already on the item page? BLOCK. Make a lowball offer that won't even cover shipping costs? BLOCK. Ask for additional info on the item that would take us an hour to answer? BLOCK BLOCK BLOCK!!!

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

> I wouldn't even offer shipping on an item that costs that much to ship

Makes sense -- thanks, I will keep that in mind for new listings. If it can't be returned easily, it's more vulnerable to this type of fraud.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

I always insist that the item be returned before I give a refund.  Half the time, the con artists trying to get a free ride won't follow through.  Also put on your listings that the buyer has to pay the return shipping.  That also deters frauds.  

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Feel free to put "buyer has to pay return shipping" on all your listings.

However, that is certainly not true if the buyer opens an item not as described case.

If you will take the time to read eBay's Money Back Guarantee for buyers, you will see that, if a buyer opens an item not as described case, the seller is required to either send a prepaid return label or to reimburse the buyer in advance for the cost of return shipping.

Maybe you already know that, but, when I see advice given here that could be misconstrued by the reader, I have the impulse to make sure the reader gets the whole picture.  

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@funfir_14 wrote:

Also put on your listings that the buyer has to pay the return shipping.  That also deters frauds.  

Actually that just lets them know you don't know how ebay works and that you are an easy mark.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

The only times I have been able to have warning signs are from people who send us messages trying to "school" us. Mostly this is when they do not pay attention to the fact that we offer multiple forms of shipping in our listings. We have only ever had a few of them, but it's always "I've been an eBay seller for 20 years and I know that ....." Well if they have been an eBay seller for 20 years they should know to look at the shipping options to see that there are cheaper options available. They should also know how to speak to other sellers in a respectful way. Other than this type of buyer, I can't say I have ever had a warning sign from a buyer that ended up giving us some heartburn. 

Message 15 of 17
latest reply