cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WOW!

eBay Accuses PWCC of Shill Bidding

eBay leveled a strong accusation and took action against one of its largest clients in the trading card category Tuesday.

In a message sent to customers who have done business with PWCC Marketplace, eBay indicated it had “restricted” PWCC’s selling privileges and listings.  At issue, according to the statement from eBay, is shill bidding–the practice of placing bids on an item in an effort to increase its selling price.
https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/ebay-accuses-pwcc-of-shill-bidding/?fbclid=IwAR2kFjztXZSyFWFxa...

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: WOW!

@cwsdenver wrote:

What happened to innocent until proven guilty?   Do we live in 18th century France?  Has the #Me Too movement taken over the U.S.  Seems like too many people on eBay want to tear up our Constitution.

Ahh eBay aint going to do what they did to this user with out proof... They have it for sure:

Question is do the feds have it??????

I remember back in the day the feds  busted a group on art for shilling.... Time will tell.

And eBay aint a government: you give them the right to remove any and all listings at their description by using eBay..  Read you r user agreement carefully...

Message 16 of 39
latest reply

Good for eBay. Wonder how long this has been going on and where else. I buy--not cards--at a lot of auctions other than eBay. There is definitely hinky stuff going on out there.

And yes, eBay is the enforcer of its own terms of service. If the believe they have been violated, they can do whatever. eBay is not subject to due process, 1st Amendment, etc. However, give what a large seller this is you can pretty much be assured the dotted their i's and crossed their t's before the action.

Also, eBay seem interested in the card market as a growth area so trust ever so important.

Message 17 of 39
latest reply

...now they need to go systematically through all categories and do the same...

Bad Boys Theme Song [full HD] official video - YouTube

Message 18 of 39
latest reply

@kus1617 

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.  Thank you!  I needed a good laugh.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 19 of 39
latest reply

I see two possible issues at play here:

1) eBay wants to own the trading card market, so they have to clean up any issues.

2) The seller is a consignment house. What if the consignors are shilling their own items unbeknownst to the seller? Or, more likely, what if staff is commission driven and some are boosting their commissions on the side, unbeknownst to the company?

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 20 of 39
latest reply

@shipscript 

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the potential direction of the FTC and the new 'chair'?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 21 of 39
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Must be something in the air.......Amazon closed down 50,000 Chinese sellers for fake reviews.......

I guess maybe they will migrate to ebay then and find a happy host that will give them protection and a safe happy home.

-------------
Posting ID
Message 23 of 39
latest reply

@dhbookds 

Must be something in the air.......Amazon closed down 50,000 Chinese sellers for fake reviews.......

They were competing with AZ for sales though.

EBay is our landlord, but not our competitor. Restricting (not removing I notice) a seller means eBay is turning away fees.

Message 24 of 39
latest reply

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2021/8/1629255806.html

Mentions ActionNetwork saying they paid a substantially smaller fee than the average eBayer. 

Message 25 of 39
latest reply

?

Message 26 of 39
latest reply

@cwsdenver wrote:

What happened to innocent until proven guilty?   Do we live in 18th century France?  Has the #Me Too movement taken over the U.S.  Seems like too many people on eBay want to tear up our Constitution.

This is eBay's platform. Like it or not eBay can do what they want to do on their platform. Ask sellers who have had their listings removed because someone at eBay decided their listed item was a fake in spite of the fact that eBay employees could not physically examine those items before making their decision. Some of the listed items could have been fake and some could have been genuine.

eBay has a vested interest and a duty to protect eBay buyers who might suffer financial loss if ebay has reason to believe a seller is engaging in questionable business practices. I do not know if PWCC is or is not guilty of engaging in shill bidding, I only know they have been accused of doing so which does not equate to them being guilty.

Message 27 of 39
latest reply

0 listing today.... there were over 18,000 yesterday.

https://www.ebay.com/str/pwccmarketplace

Message 28 of 39
latest reply

Substantially lower for sure- certainly a Basic (350) Store subcriber pays less in fees than an occasional seller. And an Enterprise (100,000 listings)  subscriber even less.

But offsetting that is the certainty of the monthly fee plus many more, even if less profitable, FVF.

We can speculate, but we will probably never know - unless it goes to court.

Message 29 of 39
latest reply

If eBay is leveling these types of claims there is much more to this story. Who prompted eBay to do this?

Message 30 of 39
latest reply