cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WILL LOSE TOP RATED IN JUNE (REFUSE TO OFFER FREE RETURNS)

Look like I will be loosing my Top Rated. As E Bay to start June will require sellers to pay return mailing on all thier listings to keep Top Rated. This is not worth it. As mostbuyers are fair. But thier is to many scamers also. I mostlikely will leave E Bay because of this. I am not taking chances on bricks coming back to me in the mail. And I pay for them. And a buyer getting a full refun for mailing it to me. This is one of the stupidest moves E bay ever made.  Because if I do stay loose my Top rated bencause I refuse to pay mail back on items I know mail is good. So if I do stay so will my one day mailing times. So in the long run for sure E Bay will lose many seller. The buyer paying the return mailing is about the only thing that keeps most of them honest. So will be a lot of cheeting buyers looking for the Top Rated Badges to scam out of thier items.  E bay is so wrong a honest and loyal seller dose not stand a chance with new rules coming down on them. To incourage scamers to thier sellers. 

Message 1 of 251
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You do not lose Top Rated Seller STATUS if you don't offer free returns.  This is incorrect information that's being spread around.

If you have listings that qualify for TRS+ those listings will no longer have the TRS+ badge.  Your Seller Rating will remain unchanged.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 251
latest reply
250 REPLIES 250

@lovett-1000 wrote:

The buyer paying the return mailing is about the only thing that keeps most of them honest. 

Actually no, that just causes them to file "not as described" cases to force you to pay return shipping.

Message 2 of 251
latest reply

You do not lose Top Rated Seller STATUS if you don't offer free returns.  This is incorrect information that's being spread around.

If you have listings that qualify for TRS+ those listings will no longer have the TRS+ badge.  Your Seller Rating will remain unchanged.

Message 3 of 251
latest reply

You can be a TRS and do NO returns. Nothing has changed there.  If you want the TRS PLUS discount, you have to do free returns. TRS+ discount is 10% of FVF not including shipping, so 1% of your item price. Nothing to write home about unless you have large volume.

TRS is a seller status. TRS+ is a LISTING status.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/seller-levels-performance-standards/seller-levels-performance-stan...

Becoming a Top Rated Seller

Becoming a Top Rated Seller indicates that you consistently deliver outstanding customer service, and also makes you eligible to receive a prominent eBay Premium Service badge on qualifying listings.

To become a Top Rated Seller you'll need to:

• Have an eBay account that's been active for at least 90 days
  • Have at least 100 transactions and $1,000 in sales during the last 12 months with US buyers
  • Comply with eBay's selling practices policy
  • Meet the requirements for transaction defect rate, cases closed without seller resolution and late shipment rate. You'll find the requirements in the table below

If you've met these performance standards requirements on eBay.com, we'll automatically upgrade you to the Top Rated Seller status at your next evaluation.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 4 of 251
latest reply

So they will just have the top rated badge not the top rated + badge or will they have nothing on those listings. 

Message 5 of 251
latest reply

I think you a re wrong it dose keep some honest. Most buyer will not go thur the open the case. It takes to long for them to scam you if that is thier intentions. 

Message 6 of 251
latest reply

Yes and that discount is important o me. But is not worth the chance of to many looking for free items and mailing back anything and getting full refunds and costing sellers mail + thier item. E bay do not stand with thier sellers very much. It is all about the buyer. 

Message 7 of 251
latest reply

@lovett-1000 wrote:

So they will just have the top rated badge not the top rated + badge or will they have nothing on those listings. 

The only "badge" that shows on the listings is the TRS+ badge, so if the LISTING doesn't qualify for TRS+ then no (stinkin) badges will show.

Message 8 of 251
latest reply

I will lose my Top Rated + badge as well, as I can not afford free returns. Lose money on the sale plus return shipping, that's like throwing money away. I sell mostly clothing, it only encourages people to buy a bunch of things try them on and return. Or....to wear something and return it.  Most online companies that are currently offering this service, own their merchandise.  So, I'm tired of hearing this is now the industry standard.  I know it's what people want, it's what I want.  I never get to return anything for free ever, I usually just keep it and sell it here.    

Message 9 of 251
latest reply

We have offerd free returns for a while now.  For the most part its ok.  It does get expensive if you get a lot of returns.   We dont agree with it but we feel like we have too so we can keep up.  Not sure if that helps much.  Best regards

Message 10 of 251
latest reply

But you will loose the 10% dicount if you do not offer the free return mailing. Postage is very high for many large boxes I sell. The buyer knows that so will assume I will just say keep it and refund them.  I work hard and and not on here to be scamed.  Do not like the fact E bay keeps forcing bad rules to keep you small discounts. It just incourages more to try and scam sellers out of thier high cost postage items. 

Message 11 of 251
latest reply

The issue with me is I mail many large boxes of wood. It could really hit me hard. The buyer knows this so I would be better to just give them wood.  But I will never give in on my fat lighter. Will pay the return postage every time. It is not I mind to pay for my item back. I do not mind I will gladly pay for the wood back if it was what I sent. But I have been thur getting 1/2 back. Even a bag of warter one time. Like other said. Item not as decribed case will force me to pay return mail anyway.  But most buyer do not like going thur long process. I found most buyers are honest. But also have had my share of the cheaters or ones wating the item and money back before. 

Message 12 of 251
latest reply

Your most expensive item you currently have listed is $139. Loss of TRS+ discount would mean your invoice, if the item sold, would be $1.39 more.  Weigh that against how much a potential return cost would be and your current rate of returns, and then decide if that $1.39 is worth having the + designation.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 13 of 251
latest reply

It's 10% of the FVF, not the entire item.  It's 1% or less of the total item price.  As other's have stated you're not saving that much.

Message 14 of 251
latest reply

As funny as it might sound, I am more worried about the honest buyers than the scammers. Nothing will change with the scammers, they will continue lying & scamming sellers the way they always have.

It's the honest buyers that I am concerned with. Normally honest buyers won't buy an item unless they are sure they want it because they don't want to pay return shipping charges. But with Ebay pushing the free returns, it's basically telling the honest buyers to purchase whatever they want and if they use it and don't like the item, no problem. Because we sellers are happy to pay your return shipping and give you a full refund.

I recently have placed items in my Ebay cart but never completed the purchase. Within a day I receive the following email from Ebay:

"Hello Buyer, the seller offers free return shipping* on this item. Why not take another look?"

It pretty much turns us sellers into Rent-A-Centers.

Message 15 of 251
latest reply