cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM WITH ALL CAPS IN THE TITLE?

I have seen several discussion replies here which cautioned against using all caps in listing titles.  I like to use them because I think these stand out in a search, and I don't think I see any negative impact on sales, but maybe I'm missing something.  Would appreciate comments on why this is a bad approach.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

My guess, as my granddaughter tells me, is that it is akin to yelling.  Other than that I don't have any idea why it would be an issue.  Maybe someone much more knowledgeable than me can help you out.

Best to you...

Grandma

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

They are hard to read.  

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 32
latest reply

@mephamhighgrad it has to do with your item showing up better in Google search.   

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

It has to do with google search optimization last I knew.  eBay's search engine is so bad that eBay wants us to optimize our listings to show up better on google.  Same with why we aren't allowed to add text to our pictures.

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

thats the only thing I use in my titles ,its like having a bold title,you get it for free with all caps

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 6 of 32
latest reply

CAPS imply you're yelling and angry, so don't use them unless you're really upset and angry.  : )

Since we don't have all the visual cues when we see each other in person, we can't relay our physical facial features through limited communication like messages and text. 

So don't use CAPS.

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

I'm confused. Why would caps change how Google perceives it? Maybe it is just way way beyond my understanding.  Sorry for even asking.

Grandma

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

But aren't Google searches insensitive to caps?

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

In my opinion, "all caps" anything implies desperation, whether it's in the title of an item listing or the title of a discussion board thread, or on Facebook or Twitter. It just screams "look at me, look at me, look at me."

For the record, I feel the same way about larger fonts, bold fonts, colored fonts, etc., unless used very sparingly for the emphasis of specific words or phrases. 

I skip over discussion-board posts that rely on the overuse of the above, and I would most likely skip over an item listing with an all-caps title.

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

It has to do with search-ability and technical optimization for SEO. It interferes with it, plus it’s considered screaming. Below is an article that discusses this issue when building strong titles.

https://times.subivi.com/ecommerce-marketing/how-to-create-the-perfect-ebay-title-in-9-easy-steps/

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

In my own personal opinion,  I think it's actually more difficult to read all caps.  I only make key words in caps to make it stand out.  

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

It has nothing to do with search as most search is not case sensitive.   All caps makes it more difficult to read as the brain eventually learns to process each word as a unique image, not much different than a processing a Chinese logograph.  All caps causes most people to take just a wee bit longer to parse the word as they don't encounter all cap images frequently.  But yea, works great for single words on signs like STOP.

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

It has nothing to do with searches.

According to most people, all caps looks ugly.  I agree. 

Highway Patrol - Junior Brown
Message 14 of 32
latest reply

But it doesn't discuss the issue of using all caps - just says not to use them without giving any explanation or reasons .... so I'm still at a loss here to understand the issue.  How does it optimize search when Google search is not case sensitive?

Message 15 of 32
latest reply