cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage concert shirt getting a lot of attention from Thailand...should I be worried?

Hi guys, 

I've been around eBay for a number of years, buying/selling things here and there--but I've recently entered uncharted waters (at least from my perspective). 

Last week I listed a rare concert shirt and it's been getting a lot of attention.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sonic-Youth-T-shirt-XL-Hysteric-Astronauts-Yellow-1992-Nirvana/2337...

But given how quickly the price has shot up and the number of bidders and messages I've gotten from buyers in Thailand and overseas, I'm wondering if I'm setting myself up for a problem. 

Are there best practices I've overlooked? Is there anything I should be doing here to protect myself from getting ripped off? Should I be canceling this listing (it's a free listing and I've never canceled any transaction before)? 

I have to say, I've never had an issue with anything Ive sold over the years, but I also haven't sold anything overseas and I was naively caught off guard by the interest this shirt has generated. Appreciate any advice. 

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Vintage concert shirt getting a lot of attention from Thailand...should I be worried?

Nice find, I suspect you had no idea what this would go for.

Most overseas items go well, yet the value this is getting into: I do not know what to say.

It would depend on what I had in cost of the item to do. I suspect I would go ahead with the auction and sale of the item.

Remember signature is going to be required upon delivery of such a priced item. That in itself may be a problem.

Hope some other come by and give you better advice.

Message 2 of 39
latest reply

There is a brand new, with tags, Mens XL shown on your listing (other sponsored items) for $800 buy it now, and it hasn't yet sold. I'd be concerned selling internationally. 

Message 3 of 39
latest reply

Thanks for the input. The other listing is for a more common variety of the shirt I've I've come to find out. 

Message 4 of 39
latest reply

I had a general sense from seeing what other more common versions of the shirt went for, but no I didn't expect anything like this--or the interest from overseas, which is new for me. 

Message 5 of 39
latest reply

I believe for sales over $750 a signature is required.

It looks like you are usibng GSP (global shipping program).

I'm not sure how that works.  They sign for it in Kentucky and your obligation is fulfilled?

I would check with ebay -or- maybe one of the really smart people here would know the answer. 

Holding Back The Years - Simply Red
Message 6 of 39
latest reply

I think that if I were to sell overseas, this is the most perfect item to ship! It's a 30 year old tee shirt, your initial investment was...say $25 bucks? It will not break, your using EBay's global shipping, and you stand to make a lot of money! Now, providing you get paid, do not spend a dime until you know everything is good. Good luck with your auction and I will be on the look out for one of those tees!!!

Message 7 of 39
latest reply

No advice, just WOW at the price and bids on that t-shirt! Four days left, too!

And here I thought I did good when I sold a 1985 Hank Williams Jr. concert t-shirt for $40. I am clearly selling the wrong items here lol

For that price I'd send it insured and some sort of registered mail. Not sure about int'l, but in the States registered mail is all wrapped with special tape, kept separate from regular mail and signed by hand at every stop along the way

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 8 of 39
latest reply

Well Hank Williams I know but sad to say on OPs band....ahhh never. That was cute you made me chuckle...now get busy we need to look for those shirts!!!!!

Message 9 of 39
latest reply

That is one fabulous shirt and I can see it going very high, particularly overseas, particular Asia.  I think @silverstatetreasureboxes is correct - take all proper precautions in shipping. Vintage is very popular in the East.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 39
latest reply

I think this potential payout is worth the risk, so I would definitely let the auction play out. The deal is that you are the original owner with clear provenance: actual proof you attended the concert, meaning that this tee shirt is genuine. For true concert tee-shirt collectors, this is the holy grail. The more obscure, the more difficult to find, the better. For this reason, genuine vintage t-shirts have become more and more pricey, even being sold by high-end retailers. So it is very likely you have some serious collectors bidding on your tee.

Another thing driving the sale of concert tees is the fashionable "cool" factor. That has made the vintage band and concert t-shirts into worldwide sensations. Right now, these collectible tees have become a status symbol, especially in the Asian countries. From the Hollywood elite all the way to social influencers, they’re all rocking the band tees. That is why H&M, Culture Kings and other retailers are trying to recreate vintage-inspired graphic tees. But these reproductions simply do not have the Wow factor of an original like yours.

So, you are the happy recipient of the vintage band t-shirt craze at its all-time high! Congrats on your auction results, keep us posted!

PS- the other posters are right. Remember that any transaction over $750 needs signature confirmation at delivery. It is good you are selling this through the Global Shipping Program. You will only need to get it to the Kentucky hub. 

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

I collected vintage authentic concert tees until the supply dried up and the reproductions ruined the market.  You basically have an almost 30 year old t shirt from a cult band in the rarest variation in close to new old stock condition.  With Asian writing on it!  Of course this was bound to go through the roof with bidders in the Far East.

Just be sure to follow all the shipping rules to protect yourself and congrats!

Joe

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

Another slant:

How risk adverse are you?

What do you want for this item, in the end?

What would make you, safely happy?

Yes, I'm certain you'd like a guaranteed 1200, 1500 or more...

but "guarantees" lessen with each new factor, like foreign sales, etc.

I'm not belittling those who sell High price items, world wide here, no.

But what about you?

Yes.. the Asian market may .. ultimately .. be the target market for this shirt, but

You don't have to be the one to sell the the buyer at the end.

If you choose, you could find a price you'd be 'happy' with, that is 'safer'.

Let's say, you think it may.. go for hundreds upon hundreds more...

but you could:

List it U.S. only.  Fixed price, immediately payment required.

List it for (your safe price).  1000?  A bit higher? Lower?

Then.. it's very possible that another seller would buy it.. 'safer?' cash.

So, that they could flip it on the world wide market, because they're used to selling big, world wide.

(yes.. that means you'd get 1000, and then.. who cares if they sell it for 1200 or 1800+) Because that extra risk is theirs now.

See?

Just a thought.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 13 of 39
latest reply

Are there any steps I should be taking to protect myself from potential scams here? Should I be requiring a US based paypal account? 

Message 14 of 39
latest reply

I'm just wondering why you put Nirvana in the title.  Other than both being alternative groups, Nirvana  has nothing to do with it.  I have a lot of old concert tees that I would not part with...unless I got this price!

Cool thing sitting with a kitty

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 15 of 39
latest reply