cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Victim of buyer fraud

I recently sold a BRAND NEW $6500 embroidery machine. The customer had the machine for 2-3 days then opened a NOT AS DESCRIBED case. I sent return FedEx label and received the return a week later. when I opened the box there was a very used $1500 embroidery machine inside. I immediately contacted eBay and gave them the serial number of the item I shipped and the serial number of the item that was returned. I sent pictures of the item that was sent and pictures of the item received on the return. I filed a police report. I contacted FedEx and found the return shipment weighed 15 pounds less than the original shipment. I contacted the customer to see if there was a mistake on the item the returned. They told me they did not know what I was talking about.

This is what eBay told me... There was nothing we could or would do. because the customer did not admit to the fraud in the emails. They told me I was on my own and that they would send the full refund! at the end of the case's waiting period.

I then contacted Paypal and was told they only protected buyers and that sellers are on there own. And that I should hire a lawyer and open a civil case against the buyer. MY HEAD ALMOST POPPED OFF!

So sellers, I would just like you to know you are not protected from buyer scams on expensive items... by eBay or Paypal and for you scammers buying expensive items and then returning inexpensive items...IT WORKS. And works very well! 

Need to upgrade your equipment? just buy new and send back your old wore out item. Ebay and paypal will help you. Just remember never admit to what you are doing in email! And you will get it for free!

Message 1 of 296
latest reply
295 REPLIES 295

Victim of buyer fraud

I am so sorry and yes we are hearing of similar reports from other sellers.

And unfortunately ebay will not have your back.

That is why with expensive items such as this, local pickup only cash in hand.

Message 2 of 296
latest reply

Victim of buyer fraud

the way the buyer picks up the item will not help you! They can still open a (not as described case) And make you pay to have it returned. And POOF you get back a used worthless item and no way to get your original item back.

Message 3 of 296
latest reply

Victim of buyer fraud

If you have local pickup cash only the buyer forfeits his buyer protection.

Message 4 of 296
latest reply

Victim of buyer fraud

Sorry this happened to you.

You can report the buyer to Trust and Safety, file a Mail Fraud (yes, even for FedEx), and an IC3 complaint.  You can report this to the Police in the area your buyer lives and ask for assistance.

If you continue selling, you might want to spend time reading this Board daily.

Just some thoughts.

Message 5 of 296
latest reply

Victim of buyer fraud

@davebhop wrote:

the way the buyer picks up the item will not help you! They can still open a (not as described case) And make you pay to have it returned. And POOF you get back a used worthless item and no way to get your original item back.

@davebhop the buyer cannot file an SNAD when you list for local pickup and the buyer pays CASH. That’s why emerald said local pickup and cash is the way to go!

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 6 of 296
latest reply

Victim of buyer fraud

Local pickup with cash in hand they can't claim not as described.

Go read the MBG
Message 7 of 296
latest reply

Victim of buyer fraud

@sambur-9245 wrote:
Local pickup with cash in hand they can't claim not as described.

Go read the MBG

Question for you and/or @missjen831. I have looked everywhere on the eBay MGB (which I don't find the least bit user friendly, btw), and I can't find that "exception" anywhere. Could one of you either copy/paste it or post a link to the exact page where it is? And, if further clicking is required, kind of go through that for me?

eBays help pages are just frustrating for me. I really try to look this stuff up myself in order to learn it better, or bookmark it, but without much success. unamused

Message 8 of 296
latest reply

Victim of buyer fraud

It may not do any good or it may.  File a complaint with the buyer's local District Attorney's office and a police report.   After all, it is grand theft.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 9 of 296
latest reply

Victim of buyer fraud

I contacted the police in the city he lives in and they only take reports in person, not over the phone. They have to wait until my local police contact them. Ebay is going to do the refund to the scammer on Friday, so I'm screwed! Thanks for the info on the Trust and Safty.

Message 10 of 296
latest reply

Victim of buyer fraud

They're not covered by either the MBG OR PP buyer protection.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 11 of 296
latest reply

Victim of buyer fraud

@Anonymous

Wasn't it said the seller should never be out the item AND the money? Can anything be done to put this transaction/refund on hold until the seller can get further action?

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 12 of 296
latest reply

Victim of buyer fraud

Check with the buyer's police dept. again, and if nothing else, ask for the watch commander and ask if he/she has any suggestion(s).

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 13 of 296
latest reply

Victim of buyer fraud

We are so tired of hearing about stories like this and ebay just letting them do it.   So sorry for your loss.  Best regards

Message 14 of 296
latest reply

Victim of buyer fraud

AMEN! 

Message 15 of 296
latest reply