cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variation Listings quantitities being updated by ebay randomly AHHHHHHHH!!!

I've seen this pop up on the message board a couple times. But the only responses I see are other people saying they have had the same problem and ebay saying contact us. To refresh: the issue is I am doing nothing, happily enjoying my day, then look at updating a listing and the quantities of the items are 22, 35, 12, 17, etc. A bunch of unusual numbers for items I have 0, 1, or 2 of. Major problem of course. Can ebay fix it using a restore to before they messed it up or do I have to go through one at a time and do it myself hoping that it doesn't happen again like it appears to have happened to other users? 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Update: I understand their listings usually work well for most people (and me) over a majority of the time. However, If you're a doubter and think I am doing something wrong please leave the discussion. Seriously, I know how to update my listings and don't change my quantities to crazy numbers. The quantity available changes to the number sold I noticed after taking a closer look. They have some algorithm glitch that does this. I have about 50 variation listings and about 15 of them were affected. I have fixed them all now, I couldn't wait and leave incorrect quantities out there. Here is an example of one I fixed: https://www.ebay.com/itm/114696519567 It showed 31 battery covers available. 

I contacted ebay at 9:45 pm PST and they said they're sorry and the department that could help me would be around at 1 am PST. I contacted them again at 1 am and they said they were sorry and only the IT department could fix it. They would put in an urgent request and the representative would call me at any hour of the night with the update if it could be fixed or not and the US team would contact me at 7am to check if it was resolved. I woke up at 6 am to no news from ebay and gave up on them. I spent the next hour and a half updating the broken listings, digging out my actual supplies and checking what I had. I finished and went back to bed. It is after 3 pm next day now and I have yet to hear anything from ebay. When I contact them I get these apologies and tickets started, but there is no follow-up on the tickets and the representatives don't take ownership of the issue. So, at least in my experience if you run into this you are wasting your time to try to get ebay to undo it. You drew the unlucky straw and need to get to work fixing it.   

View Best Answer in original post

Message 16 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

I have many variations listings.

I've never had this problem.

If you are 100% sure it's not an error on your part, then it's a glitch.

Your only option is to let customer service know.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Yes!!  Here is another post I saw regarding it, it seems it may be a glitch and one person on that thread gave some info that may be helpful.  Good gravy.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Available-Quantity-randomly-changing/m-p/33769986 

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

They sent out at least 5 warning emails saying that they were going to make changes to variation listings.  Everyone had fair warning about this in my opinion.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

BUMMER!

I don't have the time (or energy) to double check all my variations listings for inventory count accuracy.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@wilsonharborsales wrote:

They sent out at least 5 warning emails saying that they were going to make changes to variation listings.  Everyone had fair warning about this in my opinion.

Are you claiming that “fair warning” of changes to the format gives eBay free rein to change the quantities a seller is offering for sale? That’s absurd. Maybe you think they should be allowed to change the prices too?

Unbelievable.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

This is also happening with single item listings as well. And for example, I had one single item listing change from quantity three to quantity 92.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@wilsonharborsales  

I have variation listings and never got any "warning"..........what changes were they going to make?

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

There are a few reasons this can happen. First make sure when you are updating just quantities dont edit your listing. Just do it from the Active Listings tab and clicking the variations button under the title. The only time you should have a issue with inventory adding in quantities if is you take a item out and add it back in or let your listing end then relist it. If you relist a item or sell similar from your own listing the quantities added in will be for the total you have sold. Example the person above mention inventory going from 0  to 92 they most likely sold 92 of that item in the previous listings they ended and relisted or sold similar from a ended listing not to keep the listing alive after it was purged for being 0 quantity for 90 days. 

Now if you have active items in stock in your variation listing and something is 0 qty 1 day and the next has a qty I have no answer for that we have been using variation listings for years and never experienced that issue before. 

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Same here. I never received even one warning email.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Never received any and I use MV a lot.

Care to show us one of the emails you purportedly received about this?

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Pretty sure sellers who use MV listings a lot are already aware of the dangers with relisting.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Yes, I misread the issue you were having about the quantities being changed automatically.  I have heard of others having this problem as well.  Please disregard my previous comment. 

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Just got this from eBay. Thank you for much. I have already submitted the report on your behalf. Rest assured this will be on our top priority list. Alternatively, kindly revise your listing and change the quantity to the actual item quantity. Guaranteed we will have this resolved in 24-48 hours

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Message 15 of 21
latest reply