cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variation Listings - let's work on a tutorial?

In a prior thread, the topic came up about lack of information for those wanting to start using variations.

@mcdougle4248  wanted to try using variations, but there was no helpful roadmap, or perhaps those that existed online were outdated, so I said I would start one.

@myjunqueyourtreasure  and  @mam98031  specifically mentioned in that thread that they both regularly use variations, so I'm putting them on the spot here to ask what pitfalls and workarounds they've dealt with and which listing forms they are using (desktop vs mobile).  Smiley Wink

I've taken this endeavor to 80% completion where we can plug in, correct, or rearrange information.  It's long winded because there is a lot of territory to cover.  I've created new variation listings and have revised an existing variation in order to test and screencapture, but surely I have not hit all the gotchas. Smiley Surprised

Hopefully, we could come up with a shorter bullet list for those who already "get it" if they just knew how to start and only needed a few references. Or, for those who just like to follow pictures, perhaps we can add any pictorial steps that are missing.

Anyway, here is a work in progress, still rather rough around the edges, and when we get it smoothed out, we could post it here on the forums where others could more readily find it.

http://shipscript.com/ebayhelp/lister_hub/creating_ebay_variations.htm

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 1 of 87
latest reply
86 REPLIES 86

The main issue I see right now is ebay not being forthcoming about giving us a list of categories/sub categories where variations are allowable. That would be a good start.

I'm in the middle of negotiating (ie working around) a multi item sale, so will get back with you when I can.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 2 of 87
latest reply

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote:
The main issue I see right now is ebay not being forthcoming about giving us a list of categories/sub categories where variations are allowable. ....

Have you found any problems (i.e., errors or omissions) with the list on the page that @shipscript's page links to?

Message 3 of 87
latest reply

Yep. That's the same list I posted and brian couldn't find. Apparently it's out of date.

For example Decorative Collectible brands does NOT support variations. Probably a bunch of others I'd say.
Message 4 of 87
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have the time right now to look through your tutorial but I can chime in with a few of the biggest "gotchas" someone might run into.

• Using the "sell similar" feature from an existing variation listing can be problematic as it will not let you add new attributes. If the original listing used pattern attribute and you want the new listing to use color attribute it will kick out an error when you try to add color. For this reason it's advisable to start new variation listings from scratch, particularly if you need to use a different attribute.
  • You cannot revise variation names. You stock blue and later get 2 new shades of blue. You can add Dark Blue and Light Blue, but you cannot change the original Blue to Medium Blue.
    • If the variation has not sold any Blue items yet you can delete Blue then add a new variation called Medium Blue. If that color has sold any units you cannot delete the variation from the listing.
  • You cannot change a non-variation listing into a variation listing, so if you start out with one item but think there's a possibility you'll get other variations later then set it up as a variation listing from the get-go - even if you only have one variation to start.
  • There is no access to a current published list of categories that use variations so you don't know if it's available until you select the category.
  • Some categories have been overlooked that really need the variation option. The first one that comes to mind is Business & Industrial. Office Supplies fall under this category and office supplies would definitely benefit from variation format.
Message 5 of 87
latest reply

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote: ...  Decorative Collectible brands does NOT support variations....

Hmm, there doesn't seem to even BE a section called that.

Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 8.03.46 PM.png

Message 6 of 87
latest reply

It's a bit further down............

image.png

Message 7 of 87
latest reply

Yep.

I don't understand why, even if that list is out of date, some categories seem to have variations disabled that DID offer them at one time.
Message 8 of 87
latest reply

@Anonymous 

Thank you for posting your list of gotchas. Do I need to test these listing issues or are your experiences rather recent?

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 9 of 87
latest reply

Shipscript you are certainly doing a service for ALOT of sellers.   I used to use (try to) variations years ago and took me DAYS and alot of bad words to finally get them done.......then I'd forget and have to go thru the process again to list another.

Only I have now to contribute is something I "think" is still applicable.  You can only use flat rate shipping so be sure you figure out how to do that BEFORE creating the variations.......

Message 10 of 87
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shipscript wrote:

@Anonymous 

Thank you for posting your list of gotchas. Do I need to test these listing issues or are your experiences rather recent?

My experiences are consistent over the past three years including as recent as two weeks ago. If you need screenshots of anything I mentioned you can send me a PM and I'll work with you to get what you need.

More quirks now that I think about it:

• Variation listings are NOT mobile friendly - not with the app or the web browser. They should always be created on a desktop/laptop using the advanced listing form. Even when created on a computer there are areas you will not be able to edit on mobile. The new feature where we can edit quantity and price from the active listings page has been a big help with being able to adjust quantities using the mobile web browser!
  • You can drag and drop the order of variations within the listing, however on the active listings page variations will display in order of available stock.
  • Variation listings will NOT appear using the out of stock filter on the active listings page unless every single variation is out of stock.
Message 11 of 87
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
  • The format filter on the seller hub active listings page does not offer a variations filter.
Message 12 of 87
latest reply

And now that every FP listing is GTC that would be helpful.
Message 13 of 87
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
  • You can choose to use default listing photos for all variations, but most of the time you will choose to use photos for each attribute.
    • You can only use photos for one attribute. This is notable if you have an item that comes in different patterns (stripe, polka dot, chevron) and those patterns come in different colors for each pattern (blue, red, yellow).

If you need me to explain this one in more detail let me know, but you seem like the type of person who will understand what I'm getting at.

Message 14 of 87
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
  • You can choose to use default listing photos for all variations, but most of the time you will choose to use photos for each attribute.
    • You can only use photos for one attribute. This is notable if you have an item that comes in different patterns (stripe, polka dot, chevron) and those patterns come in different colors for each pattern (blue, red, yellow).

I should probably tell you the work-around for this:

Instead of using both pattern and color attributes use only pattern, then put the color in the variation name.

Blue Stripe

Red Stripe

Blue Dot

etc

Message 15 of 87
latest reply