cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates are happening to some item specifics and category structures

--Final Update, October 28--

The category changes announced in our Fall Seller Update have been completed.

Now that all category changes are complete, while you might still see some adjustments to searches, it is okay to update or edit your listings without concerns of losing data or having it moved again. 

We appreciate your feedback on this roll-out. We'll continue to adjust the process based on the input we’ve received here, and we'll take all of these suggestions into consideration for future updates.

As this project is now complete the post is being locked from further comments. 

Resources and observations

We’ve heard from you that updating your Item Specifics in time for the February 2022 requirement date may be a challenge. 

A useful tool that may help is located in the Seller Hub under Listing>Active. There is a drop-down box labeled ‘Download’ which will generate an Excel document for ‘Missing Required or Recommended Item Specifics’. You can read more about this tool here.

Should you come across any inaccuracies within the new Item Specifics we ask that you report those directly to sdsupport@ebay.com so our team can investigate. Outside of that, please share suggestions as to changes you'd like to see going forward here, selecting the Categories and Item Specifics option.

---Update as of October 19th---

We apologize for this delayed update. Thank you for your patience while our teams worked to finalize category changes. 

All listings have been moved to their final destination categories. You may now proceed with checking your categories, revising items, and updating item specifics where needed. 

Some item specifics have been renamed, and the value you originally provided has been copied over to the new item specific, so you don’t need to re-add these item specifics. We encourage you to update your listings with item specifics that are showing as “Required Soon.” These will become required on February 22, 2022. 

All other item specifics are either Recommended or Optional. Learn more about item specifics. 

Some categories were retired and replaced by product-based categories. You and your buyers can still find the items you’re looking for. Simply browse to the product category of your choice and use the filters to refine your search.

More information about key category changes:

• Dolls & Bears. The categories based on Brand/Material/Theme/Character/Franchise/Product Line/Type of doll have been retired. Former categories have been replaced by left-hand navigation filters in the new Dolls & Doll Playsets category. You can access the filters by browsing to the product category of your choice and using Brand/Vintage/Material/Theme/Character/Franchise/Product Line/Type filters to refine your search. 

• Pottery & Glass. The categories based on Brand/Origin/Production Style/Production Technique have also been replaced by filters. You and buyers can now filter by the Brand/Origin/Production Style/Production Technique/Time Period Manufactured.

• Postcards. The categories based on Location/Theme/Subject have been retired and replaced with two main categories for Topographical and Non-Topographical postcards. The former categories have been replaced by left-hand navigation filters in the two new main categories. For example in Topographical Postcards, you can filter by Country and Region.

• Jewelry & Watches. The categories based on Main Stone and Metal Type have been retired and replaced by product-based categories under Fine Jewelry. Use the filters for Main Stone and Metal to refine your search. 

---Update as of October 14th---
The work continues on this move and is progressing according to plan. We are on track and anticipate all category changes for your listings to be complete by end of day tomorrow (10.15). Thank you for your patience while our teams implement these changes.

---Update as of October 13th---

We continue to work through this change and thank you for your patience as our teams work through it. We wanted to provide answers to some top concerns and questions:

Why are Gallery Plus fees being charged for items that were previously free?

We determined that a technical issue impacted a small number of listings, which resulted in incorrect charges (including Gallery Plus, subtitles, and insertion fees) for some sellers. The issue has been fixed and we will be crediting impacted sellers as quickly as possible. No calls to Customer Service are necessary as credits will be issued automatically.

The eBay Standard Envelope shipping option is grayed out and I can’t select it. When will the issue be resolved?

The eBay Standard Envelope shipping option issue resulted from the category changes update and has been resolved. eBay Standard Envelope is now available in applicable categories if your item meets the established criteria. 

Should I edit my listings if they’re in the wrong category, have been moved to another category, or have wrong or missing item specifics?

No. Recent category changes require updates to many thousands of servers and data changes to nearly every aspect of our platform. This level of adjustment takes time, which is why we asked for your patience while the process runs. We expect most data updates to be completed within 48 hours, but can they take up to a week (i.e., through Oct. 19). After that, if you have an item specific in mind that you think would work well for your listing, please consider adding it as a custom item specific.

Why isn’t my item coming up in search?

The category change update is still in process. We anticipate search issues will resolve when we complete most data updates during the next 24-48 hours. 

There are more item specifics now than ever before. Do I need to fill in all of them?

No. Item specifics that you have already filled in will be maintained as the category moves are completed during the next week. In addition, new soon-to-be-required item specifics are being added and will become required by Feb 22, 2022. As always, the more item specifics you fill out, the better visibility your listing has to buyers. 

For Parts & Accessories, when will fitment/compatibility charts start working again?

There was an issue with parts compatibility not working properly as the category changes rolled out that has been resolved. You should now be able to see the options to add fitment compatibility when editing your listings.

-----------------------------------------------------------

We’re updating some of our categories and item specifics to make your listings easier to find. 

Starting October 12th, you’ll see updates to the following categories. Learn more about category changes →

Collectibles & Art

Jewelry

Musical Instruments

Parts & Accessories

Sporting Goods

As these updates go into effect, you may see temporary impacts to your listing experience or to the visibility of listings in the affected categories.

This is a result of listings transitioning to the updated item specifics and category structures. Your affected listings should return to normal within 48 hours, though you may see irregularities on some listings for up to a week. We recommend checking your item specifics and categories in affected listings after these updates are complete.

These updates also include new item specifics in the above categories, which will be required February 22, 2022. Starting today, these item specifics will be available as you list, with the “Required Soon” tag. Learn more →

Keep an eye on this page over the coming days—we’ll be sharing up-to-date information on affected categories and listings, and answering any questions you have. 

Message 1 of 1,171
latest reply
1,170 REPLIES 1,170

Re: Updates are happening to some item specifics and category structures

I have been  Doing Business On ebay  over 15 years, i buy and sell fine jewelry, iam a buyer and seller as well, i strongly Believe  we have  more experience  of buying and selling on ebay than any one of the top executive  in  ebay, whats happening since a week was  both sellers and buyers having hard time finding things and selling them as well,  there used to be atleast 200 views  for each listing in just one day, now hardly 5 or 6 views for listing,  from this only you can learn that whatever update they are doing is harm than doing  good for seller and buyer, when   sellers doesnt have too many views in the listing means buyers are hard time finding the listings,so this is problem for   buyer and seller so it  eventually effects ebay as well unless they comeup with solution just leave it as it was, they dont feel until it comes to their pocket which will happen  soon, Good Luck Ebay

Message 361 of 1,171
latest reply

You said it - same problem I am having with 167 auctions. eBay told me to end all of them and list them again to see what the error is?!

Message 362 of 1,171
latest reply

While the current eBay fiasco effects all but a few of my postcard listings (even though postcards should not have been effected at all, according to what we had been told by eBay), believe me when I say that I fully appreciate your pain:  this is EXACTLY the nonsense to which thousands (tens of thousands?) of booksellers on eBay were inflicted this past spring, when eBay forced us to add unnecessary (and often duplicative) "item specifics" to each and every one of our book listings.

I stopped listing anything new for 8 days, while I added the "required" item specifics to each and every one of my more that 1800 book listings -- and, in nearly each and every case, the "required" item specifics were simply duplications of information that had previously been listed elsewhere in the listing, such as "book title," "book author" and "language."  However, eBay demanded that all that data be entered once again, in the brand-new, spiffy entry blocks which eBay had programmed.

A monumental waste of time.  And my sales have dropped by 25% since that "improvement" was forced upon us, and have only grown worse this past month!

Stop wasting our time and money, eBay -- your sellers are far more knowledgeable about their products than you will ever be!

Message 363 of 1,171
latest reply

I have created a half dozen new listings today including a Vintage Indian Motorcycle Co. Bumper Sticker,  a antique spin wheel manual calculator, a Vintage Brown & Sharpe Advertising Frisbee, and a Tike Bar Torch Fuel Holder AND GUESS WHAT CATEGORY EBAY Has had at the TOP OF THE LIST AS SUGGESTED CATEGORIES? 1st TOPOGRAPHICAL POSTCARDS!!! 2nd Top Choice is NON TOPOGRAPHICAL POSTCARDS!!! LOL Now every NEW LISTING BELONGS IN THESE NEW MADE UP POSTCARD CATEGORIES!

Message 364 of 1,171
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

Thanks for that info @soflacollectors86. I looked and all of your listings are in either P&G or Collectibles- both categories do not charge a fee for Gallery Plus- so that confirms these charges are indeed being made in error. It's not because your listing was moved from a category where Gallery Plus was free into a category where Gallery Plus includes a charge.

velvet@ebay- can you please address these erroneous Gallery Plus charges? Will eBay be issuing credits to sellers automatically without them having to contact CS and can we get a formal announcement posted about that?

Hi @coffeebean832 and @soflacollectors86! We've heard back that this was determined to be a technical issue impacting a small number of listings, and has now been fixed. We will be crediting impacted Sellers as quickly as possible - no calls to Customer Service are needed, as this will be done automatically.

Velvet,
eBay
Message 365 of 1,171
latest reply

This is great. Why does Ebay keep defaulting my listing categories to categories that my items should not be listed in. I've revised the categories a number of times and they keep defaulting to a category that I did not choose and that is incorrect. These listing go live tomorrow and I fear that people will not find my items. This is unacceptable.

Message 366 of 1,171
latest reply

Myself as well yesterday, the Gaul of the the Foreign Customer Service Rep who can't even speak ENGLISH telling me it was MY FAULT because I checked off the GALLERY PLUS box on my listings. I NEVER USE THE GALLERY PLUS FEATURE, ONLY THE FREE GALLERY FEATURE. Telling me "I NEED TO BE MORE CAREFUL". Laughing stock of ecommerce this site has become!

Message 367 of 1,171
latest reply

I'm sorry but these changes make no sense!  Buyers don't even read item Titles, they sure aren't going to scroll through a bunch of item specifics!

What's going to happen when a buyer thought they were purchasing a BOWL (just an example), and receives a VASE (which is what the seller was really selling) because ebay  is dumping everything into some BOWL specific unbeknownst to the seller!  Ebay will blame the seller and force a return, costing them $ for something that was fully out of the sellers control! Oh wait, it IS the sellers fault, because they foolishly listed items for sale on ebay and should have known there would only be like 5 categories for a billion listings!!

Message 368 of 1,171
latest reply

Worst change ever, or at least in the 24 years I've been an eBay-er.

Message 369 of 1,171
latest reply

auctionpet
Guide

Why would ebay launch something they aren't even finished with in relation to these nonsense and inaccurate item specifics? Why should any seller want to list something that will take up to a week to be discoverable, that is if a prospective buyer can even find what they're looking for! Buyers will flee when they see the categories they enjoy searching/browsing are GONE!!! There are many folks who don't know exactly what they're looking for, they enjoy browsing their favorite categories and see if something strikes their fancy. It's called IMPULSE buying, ever hear of it ebay?! It accounts for a huge volume of purchases, ebay just eliminated that potential! 

Message 370 of 1,171
latest reply

I just called eBay about this. It is a known issue. eBay will be giving credits for the Gallery Plus in a day or 2 (I'll believe that when I see it). But they have gotten many calls about this issue.

Message 371 of 1,171
latest reply

Are you guys are trying to remove us Antique & Vintage sellers and collectors from your site in an attempt to be more like Amazon? You are removing all the categories for Antiques, and smashing them absurdly into giant categories which makes no sense. Sure, if you want new Nike shoes, you can search via size and color----but it doesn't work that way for Antiques.

I can't tell whether you are purposely killing us, or on accident. Your new "system" does not work. FB groups are abuzz, thousands of collectors and sellers alike are in a flurry because our hobby has been squashed.

Nearly all my searches are done via categories because it's the easiest way to find anything in your niche. Example, every morning I would search the BIN Newly Listed in Antique Dolls Pre-1930's Category, which DOES NOT EXIST ANYMORE. Why don't I just search "Antique Dolls" then, you ask? Because theres 500,000+ results and that now includes ALL DOLLS. So I have to wade through 1980's porcelain dolls, weird vintage novelty plastic dogs, someone's grandmother's raggedy anne doll she made in the 70s, reproductions, and Malibu Barbie. It's impossible to wade through all of that just to get to your specific collectible.

If you don't change this, you will lose the base that built your site: collectors. We will be forced to move somewhere else. I am getting absolutely no traffic for my rare NRFB 1960s Vintage Barbie outfits, because they are now lost in a sea of NRFB 1980s Holiday Barbies. I already pay eBay to sell here, but I won't be paying much longer if my clients can't even find my items in the vortex you created in an attempt to be Knockoff Amazon.

Message 372 of 1,171
latest reply

Is it possible to list the item while this update is in progress?
Does such a listing have any effect?

Message 373 of 1,171
latest reply

Ditto!!! And another glitch, all my views are now at zero??  Some other sellers commented on another thread - didn't notice until now...

Message 374 of 1,171
latest reply

I just copied and pasted this from your reply above: Antique Dolls Pre-1930's and put it into the search for anything tab: here is what popped up, 10 resultsIMG_6919.jpg

Message 375 of 1,171
latest reply