cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS lithium batteries

Can you mail USPS flat Rate priority a Digital camera with lithium battery? I can't get an answer from my post office. They always will ask if I have lithium batteries in box.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

USPS lithium batteries

Lithium batteries prohibited from being in the cargo hold of a cargo airplane.
USPS offers one only method: Parcel Select service.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

USPS lithium batteries

For domestic mailings only, small consumer-type primary lithium cells or batteries (lithium metal or lithium alloy) like those used to power cameras and flashlights are mailable domestically under certain conditions.

Lithium Batteries in Electronic Devices

If you're mailing pre-owned, damaged, or defective electronic devices containing or packaged with lithium batteries, you must send them via ground transportation; they are prohibited in air transportation.

These devices must be marked on the outer packaging with the text, "Restricted Electronic Device" and "Surface Transportation Only."

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

USPS lithium batteries

You will need to add the proper labels too:Battery_Label-2-600x524.png618jkOp5R6L._SL1500_.jpg51ZYC1JtC1L._AC_.jpg

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

USPS lithium batteries

Post #3 mostly answers this.  As far as what I've discovered from talking to the USPS on this question, any shipping service will work (First Class, Priority, etc, etc) but it will have to have the markings as indicated so it will only be routed via Ground instead of routed onto Aircraft.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

USPS lithium batteries

I hope I'm correct in telling you this I did some research the other day because i had a camera with a lithium battery you can ship a button battery with one gram of lithium or less without a label example of how much lithium is in a battery (3 volt lithium battery has 11 grams of lithium).  You have to ship anything over the 1 gram ground with proper label, the USPS fine for not doing it is $27000.00 per incident so if you can take the battery out I would.  Like I said I think this is the way I read it if I am wrong, please somebody else comment.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

USPS lithium batteries

This should answer your question. 

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Can-I-Ship-Lithium-Batteries  

Message 7 of 7
latest reply