cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UKCA Marking Delayed / Extended Until Dec 31, 2024 - Continuation of CE Marking

This is not intended to be an official announcement, but it appears from the UK government website that the UKCA marking, which was highlighted in the Fall 2022 Seller Update, has been changed / extended to allow continued use of the CE marking until December 31, 2024.

eBay's previous guidance was for a January 1, 2023 date, but numerous sources suggest the UK government extended the requirement by two years as of Nov 14, 2022.

Here is a screenshot from the UK official website.

fixintoscrap_0-1672966137740.png

eBay unfortunately shut down comments on their prior UKCA forum post, which is now out of date with the UK government changes.

While our business hardly sells anything to the UK, we do have low voltage cables which may fall under the UKCA and CE requirements, so it's something of tangential interest.

Feel free to comment and post questions here since there don't seem to be any other active conversations about the UKCA replacing the CE marking for products which require these safety markings.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

UKCA Marking Delayed / Extended Until Dec 31, 2024 - Continuation of CE Marking

Thanks for posting this info @fixintoscrap.

In the original discussion I posed a question, "Remember a few years ago when eBay said sellers were required to add the California Prop 65 warning, so sellers spent countless hours adding that info to their listings because they didn't know whether or not they needed it and wanted to be safe rather than sorry? Then a few weeks later eBay says, no only manufacturers, etc need to add that info (I can't remember the specific guidelines - does anybody else)?

I wonder if this UK situation is the same. Hopefully eBay can provide more clarity."

eBay never responded to that question about whether the average seller that sells goods to the UK needs to worry about this or whether it's just the manufacturers. I started a discussion here after the seller update board was locked, but eBay failed to give a response to devon@ebay when he submitted multiple requests.

I also have a question about items produced prior to the UKCA rules go into effect - if they have the CE marking from the manufacturer, will that be sufficient and "grandfathered" in?

A rep said, "[Sellers] will still need to [update listings with the UKCA marking] for now. However, we are exploring ways to do this on behalf of the seller and hope to be able to share more details soon."

With the implementation date pushed out a year, maybe eBay will come through and sort this before it goes into effect in a similar way they handled the Prop 65 warning.

GLORIOUS!

March shipping tip: Size matters. Enter accurate package dimensions on the listing form and the shipping label.
Message 2 of 2
latest reply