cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking Indicates Late Delivery is Bogus

Lost my top rated status ever since eBay institued these shenanigans regarding late shipments. Just to clarify for anyone not familiar. It used to be that if you had a handling time of one business day, as long as you printed your shipping label or uploaded tracking info within that time frame you were not charged with a late shipment. So if you do everything right, and the post office decides to give your package a tour of the country before delivering it one state over (yes this has actually happened to me) the you weren't held accountable for a late shipment. 

The way it works now is that even if your label is printed on time, if the post office doesn't scan it right away then it can still be marked as a late shipment if it misses the delivery date. Now if you have your packages picked up by the mail truck, or drop them off at the PO without taking them to the window to be scanned, they might not get scanned in until they reach the sort facility the next day. Congratulations, you did everything right but now you just made a late shipment according to eBay.

I just recently contacted USPS customer service because a buyer hadn't recieved their item on time. The screen cap below is the reply I got. It says the only guaranteed service is express mail. So, eBay holding a seller accountable for late deliveries on items with no guaranteed delivery date is utter nonsense. 

Also, below is the screen cap of my late shipment report just to show that it's never my buyer's claiming a late delivery.

This is utter nonsense and it needs to stop

USPS Email.jpglate ship.jpg

Message 1 of 65
latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

Re: Tracking Indicates Late Delivery is Bogus

You have to have it scanned within 1 business day. Printing the labels does not count as having it shipped within 1 day

Message 31 of 65
latest reply

and when you track in USPS web site it is correct I am now below standard and I ship on time
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat
Message 32 of 65
latest reply

yep. wait in line and make sure its scanned with hand held scanner or at their pos

Message 33 of 65
latest reply

offer 1 day handling time plus mark it standard shipping but use priority.
Message 34 of 65
latest reply

they are lowering the top rated discount to 10% now
Message 35 of 65
latest reply

i think if you request a receipt they have to do it, if they dont then call the post master general or customer service number and lodge a complaint, there are surveys on the bottom of the receipt as well that you can call in and that will get someones attention.
Message 36 of 65
latest reply

its that or get a scan at the post office within your handling time so you are covered in case its delivered late.
Message 37 of 65
latest reply

Fwiw, with the TRS discount now set at 10% I wouldn't advise anyone to stand in the line at the Post Office just to get a scan.  Just not worth the investment of time. An acceptance scan never effects the actual transit of the package. 

Message 38 of 65
latest reply

The whole reason for the changes, each time they change the qualifications, is to reduce the people getting the TRS+ discount.... they even said they planned to reduce the amount of TRSs that there were too many. So complaining because their plan is working probably won't achieve much.

A reason why they need to reduce the number getting TRS+ discount is because sales growth is pathetic compared to industry wide growth, to keep stockholders happy they have to show growth in profit and that requires finding new ways to increase revenue.

All the other explanations are just for public consumption and public relations... they couldn't very well advertise their sales growth AND profit is terrible, not do anything to fix it, and still expect to keep their jobs and huge bonuses. So they take a chance of selling their future for a quick gain and hope the Chinese market starts pulling their weight before they lose too many small sellers who are paying the bills now.

There was never yet an uninteresting life. Such a thing is an impossibility. Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy and a tragedy.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Message 39 of 65
latest reply

It's also worth noting that they're now reducing the discount to 10% 

I'm happy to report that using the advice of a few of the people who responded ie using SCAN forms, setting the default shipping speed to economy then using first class, etc. I haven't had a delivery marked late in over 4 months, and when the March evaluation comes around I'll be back to top rated.

Message 40 of 65
latest reply

I am now teetering on the edge at 2.9% - Last week, I sold some things, one late Saturday, the other on Sunday, I printed the labels Sunday and dropped them in our out-going mail bin at work, they were picked-up around 10:00am Monday morning, the "Origination Scan" was 10:00pm Tuesday night! I can no longer rely on the Mail Carriers, will have to make special trips and take directly to the PO; waiting in line is not an option, most days I'm there before they open, and when they are the line is always out the door.
Message 41 of 65
latest reply

I offer one day handling and I don't have an issue an issue with timely scanning by the post office. Occasionally, a package will not get a scan in time. But my real issue is with on time shipments that are erroneously added to my late shipment report.

About nine months ago, several shipments showed up on my Late Shipment Report and put me over the 3% threshold. Afer reviewing the tracking information, I found most of the shipments were indeed "on time". I called eBay and they were happy to remove the erroneously reported shipment. Then a few weeks later several more erroneously reported shipments came up on the report.  Again, I called and had the errors removed from the report. I asked the customer service rep why this may be happening. He said it must be a glitch and he would make note of it and pass it on for review. However, the errors have continued.

So, nine months later I just continue to monoitor the report and double check the tracking information on any items that show up on it. About ever two weeks or when the late shipment start pushing 2% I call and have any "on time" shipments removed from the report. I have found that nearly 75% of reported late shipments over the past nine months were actually on time and have been removed from the report.

Stay vigilant.

Message 42 of 65
latest reply

If they refuse to scan your packages, go to the post master and file a complaint. If that doesn't work file a complaint on the USPS web site.

They get paid good money to do their job and they need to earn it.

Have a great day
Message 43 of 65
latest reply

AGREED.  I have a 100% upload of tracking on time, and they are mailed the same day or the folloing morning... YET I have a 20%+ late shipping rate ???  CLEARLY something doesn't mesh here.  Not really concerned with the now, 10% discount... but seeing that glare at me every time I open the sellers' page **bleep** me off. 

100% tracked and delivered and 100% feedback... but have that staring at me... not cool.

Message 44 of 65
latest reply

@edgemotorcycle

I ask my PO about scans when you use the drop bin.

It is hit or miss, if the truck loaders are backed up.

it jut gets tossed on the truck to the next sort center.

I have a great PO, but I stand in line for that first scan.

Message 45 of 65
latest reply