cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The New Sports Card Authentication System is Rigged

I wanted to warn as many sellers of Sports Cards as possible, as to the rigged Authentication System.  It is set up to completely damage the credibility of the seller, and promote their self interests.  

I just sold a high dollar sports card, pictures of the card were taken at all angles, and the condition of the card was listed as "Like New".  

The Authenticator returned the card, and said that it couldn't be authenticated.  After making phone calls to the people who sold me the cards as to it's authenticity, I was told that the reason it couldn't be authenticated was that they found a scratch on the rear bottom corner of the surface.  

This NEVER should have happened.  In this situation, the card is real, the card is authentic, and the card was sold with an accurate description.  

The Authenticator is doing what they intend to do along with eBay's help.  Promote the Grading Services, and to kill the eBay sellers.  Non Graded Cards will be impossible to sell under these guidelines.

A Warning to those who will have to go thru this.  

Jon

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: The New Sports Card Authentication System is Rigged

@amricons ,

While it is very rare occurance. There have been instances of cards sold in counterfeit PSA and CSG holders. 

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

Interesting points, BUT PSA is one of the leaders in authentication. Both buyers and sellers worldwide use them and they are a trusted source. I'll keep doing business with a business that pretty much everyone recognizes.
Now "Becketts" service is a whole other subject....

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

Not our point

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

@joliztoyco ,

I think the authenticity program is a good idea for buyers for high dollar cards. This situation is a perfect example of why. Most dealers and experienced collectors will only submit cards to PSA, CSG, or Beckett if they think it will come back with a 9 or 10. A card with a scratch would very unlikely get 9 or much less a 10. A raw card will sell for more than a card graded 7 or 8 most of the time after the grading fees are accounted for which a card with a small scratch would likely receive assuming no other deficiencies.  

Since the scratch was not visible or pointed out by the seller in the listing the buyer would not know until they received the card. In my opinion the seller should have noted the scratch in the listing. Since it was not it didn't pass the authentication process. This authentication process will for sellers do a better job of describing the condition of their high dollar cards which I totally agree with.

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

Just because a scratch isn't visible in multiple photos doesn't mean it wasn't there.

Message 20 of 32
latest reply

@bialystock ,

I know if I bought the card for $800.00 and when I got it and found the scratch I would have files INAD case. You do realize any buyer can file a INAD case and it doesn't matter whether you accept returns or not.

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

You are completely missing my point.  The whole entire grading authentication system is wrong.  If there's an issue, let the buyer and the seller work it out.  As far as authenticating, if it's real, if it's the card they said it was, be done with it.  If eBay wants to offer grading, let them.  

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

My one and only experience with AG was not good. I sold a MJ card for $60, but I believe my $250 BIN price triggered the AG.

I shipped the card to AG, then received a msg saying buyer had been refunded, authenticity could not be verified due to card description. It said the "buyer had requested return". I contacted the buyer, he said just like me he got an email saying it failed and he'd get a refund.

It is a $400 (Beckett) card, but was very clean.  The buyer knew what he was getting. Ebay interfered and now I had to resist it upon return. This time I left out the BIN price and it did not flag the AG.

I will definitely be more hesitant to put any "good cards" on EB again.

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

@bialystock,

That is exactly what eBay is trying to eliminate. Because some but not all sellers of sports cards either over grade their cards or don't provide good pictures and item descriptions pointing out any flaws. These same sellers may also be lazy in their item descriptions and write something like "see picture and decide for yourself". The pictures don't always show all of the flaws. The buyers of expensive cards tends to be more particular on condition and I don't blame them when they are spending $250.00 or more on a card.

Buyer gets the card and  tries to work it out with the seller but the seller is not cooperative. The buyer then opens a INAD case. The buyer in the mean time gets a bad taste in their mouths. I know many collectors who will not buy any expensive cards online including eBay unless the card is already graded in slab. They figure that if the card is a 9 or 10 the seller would've had it graded before listing it. Unfortunately, there are too many sellers who purposely leave out flaws in their item descriptions and hope the buyer won't notice or don't care when they get the card on purpose so they can get more money. 

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

I just wrote a 10 minute narrative agreeing with you and it disappeared. I sold a 1960’s Vintage Baseball Card and I am shortening the story, they f’d the sale for $1500 and damaged my card. When returned I had to deal with eBay Authentication, which like any department is like getting ahold of the US President. They must have so many issues they don’t want any phone calls. I am wondering if anyone thinks if you complain to eBay by phone or by email or through this forum they block your account and punish you for it? I haven’t sold any cards or received any inquiries since I complained and I noticed this the last time? Back to my story, they sent my card back with no letter stating they were sorry but, they damaged my card. I had to call once again and create a complaint with authentication department. It took many phone calls, many hours, an abnormal amount of stress and they lowballed their original offer-which I said was completely unacceptable and they increased the offer. I knew I would not get really what it was worth so I said thank you and have moved in. But, I did pull, $50,000 of Vintage Cards off their website. They claim they use PSA and Beckett and CSG? I don’t know but I think they may have worked at these companies but were released, now they are working for eBay. eBay is us-posed to authenticate, not grade, and not theorize about scratches, and other unknown criteria they refuse to share with Card Owners. This is completely egregious and possibly illegal, and then have the incompetence to damage people’s prized possessions! Someone needs to create a new forum/website for trading cards. Their are a few options but eBay, although losing 12 million subscribers and having thousands of complaints may still be the best option?

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

If you read my earlier post about "EBay's "authenticators" I think you'll find we're on the same page.
I DO think having "authenticators" is a great idea. For high end cards and athletic apparel it would really help the seller/buyer market here on EBay. Buyers pay high prices for these collectibles, and having the comfort of knowing they're getting what they pay for is a good thing.
Unfortunately, Ebay's "authenticators" are just BAD.
So the best thing a seller can do is send them off to be graded. And then try and recoup the cost.
As far as EBay curtailing sales for being critical of them?
I'm not one of the Ebay "cheerleaders" that infest this board. I'm pretty mean to Ebay, and when I post, I say so.
I'm not liking the philosophy of "squeezing more profits out of a diminishing supply of sellers". And I think it also shrinks the supply of buyers...and that's according to Ebay's OWN STATISTICS.
But my sales have been steady. So I don't think they're "retaliating" against criticism.
Otherwise, I'd be long gone!
We're just very small fish in the shallow end. I don't think they even notice us. 🙂

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

@bialystock wrote:

You are completely missing my point.  The whole entire grading authentication system is wrong.  If there's an issue, let the buyer and the seller work it out.  As far as authenticating, if it's real, if it's the card they said it was, be done with it.  If eBay wants to offer grading, let them.  

I won't disagree about ebay's authentication, but your items are sold under "No Returns" policies which makes me wonder what you mean by "let the buyer and the seller work it out..."

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

I sold a PSA Card for $1,362.00, It was refunded by EBAY for $1,362.00, because The PSA Authentication Service does NOT have an agreement with EBAY to Authenticate for Larger Size PSA Holders.  

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

I have a card going thru this right now , I said ding they called it a wrinkle. Give me a break. CSG is not good and is trying to overtake others. I will never grade with these clowns!

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

Actually this isn't 100% correct.

Even PSA graded cards selling for higher than a specific dollar amount have to be "authenticated".

Scam/???, likely..

Message 30 of 32
latest reply