cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target has stopped selling on eBay

Only question I have is what took them so long. Wonder what big boxes are going to follow suit. This place has become a scammer free for all with virtually no seller protection left.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2018/4/1523666477.html

~Why be a second rate version of someone else when you can be a first rate version of yourself~

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Target is following WALMART's model as much as EBAY wants to follow AMAZON's model. They figure why should they sell on EBAY if they sell the same items on their own site and dont have to pay fees. EBAY site traffic is down.   Target is under pressure to be the #3 ecommerce giant.

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

Could never understand why they sold here in the first place - same with any Big Box. I can see Macy's as BFHO sells the overstock here from previous seasons - but Toys R Us, Target, Best Buy - I'd rather use a cashback site and buy right from their own website.

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

Never understood why big box stores with brand name recognition and their own on line websites needed to sell on ebay in the first place.

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

Why is because they had no ecommerce solution set up in 2012 and they were losing sales. Its 2018 now. That was 6 years ago. 

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

Looks like they pulled all their ebay listings way back on April 2, but nobody noticed.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/targetstores/m.html?LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

Do you mean they had no on line website back then?

So now that they have one, they no longer need ebay.  

Makes sense.

I wonder how many others that did not have one, but do now, will leave as well.

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

In 2012 I would imagine Target was just getting their feet wet in ecommerce. Walmart didnt start offering free shipping until the last year or so.

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

They thought they were missing out on a dollar or two.  Then realized the scammers were now getting that dollar or two so they pulled out.     Best regards

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

If by scammers you mean ebay was charging them fees and making money off them.  Target has their own website and ecommerce now. 

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

@percgrabbe-0 wrote:

Why is because they had no ecommerce solution set up in 2012 and they were losing sales. Its 2018 now. That was 6 years ago. 

Target has been selling at their own site since 2000. Their online wedding registry started in 2001. By 2012 they were well established in ecommerce.

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

Fwiw, up until recently the ecommerce divisions of the big b&m retailers were backwaters.  That's all changed now. 

Agree 100% that eBay putting their growth eggs in the basket of the big retailers is pure crazy. They may be the least loyal group of businesses that you'll ever find. I get a kick out of Zoro (Grainger) doing loads of direct advertising now  - pointing folks not to their listings on eBay, but their own site.  I'm sure they've scraped the customer info from every eBay sale they've ever made and won't be eager to share a % on the next sale.  

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

So will the loss of TRU and Target hurt eBay? That’s 2 big box stores gone. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 13 of 36
latest reply

@percgrabbe-0 wrote:

Target is following WALMART's model as much as EBAY wants to follow AMAZON's model. They figure why should they sell on EBAY if they sell the same items on their own site and dont have to pay fees. EBAY site traffic is down.   Target is under pressure to be the #3 ecommerce giant.

eBay doesn't follow Amazon's model (actually it's the other way around these days*), Target will NEVER be #3, Amazon and Walmart will battle for top spot, eBay is firmly in 2nd place now (Walmart will pass them soon), Target if they survive will be WAY down the list.

* Amazon just made a splash announcing that 3rd party seller passed the 50% mark, looks like they would like to increase that and one day match eBay at 100% 3P. The only profit Amazon makes on their marketplace is from 3P sellers, they are losing billions on their own stuff.

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

So will the loss of TRU and Target hurt eBay? That’s 2 big box stores gone. 

I can imagine that they certainly won't be the last to do this.

Honestly, when I saw Best But was selling on here I was quite surprised. I am sure they will pull out soon to with others to follow. Would not shock me in the slightest.

Ebay is descending further and fruther into the Chinese netherworld, soon nobody will be able to tell ebay and A _ _ B _ _ a apart! Smiley Indifferent

Message 15 of 36
latest reply