cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THRIFT STORE BUYER/RESELLER? - HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED RUDELY BECAUSE OF IT?

I have, multiple times.  I am not sure why the discrimination but it's real.  Most thrifts are fine and realise that what we don't resell, likely gets donated right back to them. It's a constant source of income, even in the slowest months.

Any one else been treated less than courteous manner when shopping the thrift stores just for the simple reason they know you are a reseller?  Please share your experiences.  Happened to me again today.  I will be calling the director of operations tomorrow when I've calmed down.slight_frown

Message 1 of 416
latest reply
415 REPLIES 415

They don't like you having one up on them in knowledge. Most of them despise you for the money you just found not because they would send that money to the charity, but because the workers would take the item out the back door. All of them do it around here, I've watched them take boxes of collectibles out the back door loads of times. One even offers me a cheaper price on whatever I'm buying as long as I agree to not have it rung up on the register (and the books) so they can pocket the cash. I don't take them up on it and make them ring it up, then I get the snide look. 

Message 2 of 416
latest reply

@stonevintage wrote:

I have, multiple times.  I am not sure why the discrimination but it's real.  Most thrifts are fine and realise that what we don't resell, likely gets donated right back to them. It's a constant source of income, even in the slowest months.

Any one else been treated less than courteous manner when shopping the thrift stores just for the simple reason they know you are a reseller?  Please share your experiences.  Happened to me again today.  I will be calling the director of operations tomorrow when I've calmed down.slight_frown

Not having your problem...but haven't been thrifting lately because of snail slow sales...also I've noticed a HIKE in prices of items and now many thrift stores are also selling on eBay...so the best they take in they sell themselves...

Message 3 of 416
latest reply

ersatz - I know. I experienced the same thing when I was working at a thrift store. I couldn't blow the whistle because the regional manager, store manager and supervisor were all involved and I was the lowly new hire.

This hash I've been in for the last 2 years though is with the store manager - who has total thief rights before she ever places items on the floor for sale.  Her grind is with me. I've just donated over 1k in item value to her store!  She  pulled it again with me today and I will see her GONE!

Message 4 of 416
latest reply

I have never had that problem. Not sure if they even know I'm a reseller but the girls where I shop at are wonderful.
Message 5 of 416
latest reply

There's a local thrift which is staffed by mostly elderly volunteers.

It's a religious mission.. which I have no problem with,

however

They act like their customers must be the final user of the goods. (no resellers)

And they turn up their noses, as if we're trying to rob them, or something.

Once, I was directly, unexpectedly, and rudely asked:

"You're in here almost daily.  Are you a Dealer?"

I responded "A dealer? Why no ..... I was acquited."

I haven't been challenged again.

I thought it was funny (or at least appropriate) at the time.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 6 of 416
latest reply

pinkrose - yes, I understand but when you do become more involved with these thrifts you learn....

It seems some "get it" and some don't - the relationship... Yes, most do have online presence and so there should be less friction or anamousity toward resellers. Everyone can't know everything about item value... we can't and they can't so why are we held to account for that?

Message 7 of 416
latest reply

I have posted this before and got grief over it.

I thought the items I donated were actually going to the people who needed it.  When I found out that was not true, I stopped donating - and that goes for resellers and the staff who take the better items.

Message 8 of 416
latest reply

That's truly funny Lynn:)  That happened to me in the early days and I always offered a hearty "yes I am".  

Message 9 of 416
latest reply

The primary goal of most all thrift-help stores

is to maximize sales, so those increased funds can be used in needed community programs.

Not to provide low income people used household (and sometimes higher end) items.

fwiw,

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 10 of 416
latest reply

Stone what did the manager do? 

Lynn that's funny. Bet that's a good place to shop. 

Emerald, very few thrifts donate much of the proceeds, most are a scam. After they take the good stuff home, write off a billion expenses, they look good on the books for their promised donation percentage, but it's all show. 

I always say if you want to help the poor, go find a poor person and put the cash directly in their hand. Otherwise you have to follow the stink of the money trail which is hidden from sight but it sure reeks. 

Message 11 of 416
latest reply

@18704d wrote:

The primary goal of most all thrift-help stores

is to maximize sales, so those increased funds can be used in needed community programs.

Not to provide low income people used household (and sometimes higher end) items.

fwiw,

Lynn

We went through all this before.  Yes I know how it works now, but when I called and asked, they gave me a whole different story.

I was told all of my late mother's furniture and home furnishings would be given to those who lost everything in a fire, or to an abused women who will finally have furniture for her new apartment.

I gave on that premise, not to see it relisted on ebay.

Message 12 of 416
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

Stone what did the manager do? 

Lynn that's funny. Bet that's a good place to shop. 

Emerald, very few thrifts donate much of the proceeds, most are a scam. After they take the good stuff home, write off a billion expenses, they look good on the books for their promised donation percentage, but it's all show. 

I always say if you want to help the poor, go find a poor person and put the cash directly in their hand. Otherwise you have to follow the stink of the money trail which is hidden from sight but it sure reeks. 

I got an eyeful reading here.

After many donations, someone actually called me and asked why I stopped donating.  I gave them an earful.  They have not called me since.

I now donate to a local Church or Temple.

Message 13 of 416
latest reply

stonevintage wrote:..... been treated less than courteous manner when shopping the thrift stores just for the simple reason they know you are a reseller? ..... Happened to me again today.  I will be calling the director of operations tomorrow.....

I hope you do!  I've never been treated poorly, but have had the "what are you going to do with all of that" question posed when I was checking out.

Yeah, they know MANY of their shoppers are resellers, but they should be happy about that and court our shopping presence and dollars!!!  Thrift and charity shops would be filled to the rafters with unsold merchandise that they had received for FREE, priced and put out on the floor, if the only shoppers they had were folks looking only for their own needs.

RESELLERS are the life blood of most thrift shops.  They need to recognize it and court it.  That money is what funds their programs and works!!!

Message 14 of 416
latest reply

The local thrift for the shelter here does give them vouchers and they can come in and take what they want or need.  

That was one of the cleanest operations going until the new manager started with his "friend" in local politics that takes ALL the vintage jewelry home and puts junk on the shelves. Never seen even a cheap Taxco piece since she started. 

Message 15 of 416
latest reply