cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from BIN to auction

Does anybody else wish eBay would reformat things so that a seller had the option to continue a listing by switching from Buy it now to auction, without having to end the listing first and start anew??

I sure do.  What are your thoughts?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Look at the All Selling section of My eBay. See the heading at the top of Active listings that reads "Send to online auction" -- voila! It's there, ready and waiting.

I never use it, but when I relist some items I sometimes do switch formats, though generally from auction to fixed price.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

What is it about the “send to auction” option that you don’t like?

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

Probably the part that causes one to use up a free listing or to actually pay for a new listing. Pretty much like people who think a GTC listing should only incur one listing fee even if it runs for 10 years.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I think the OP is complaining about just switching formats and keeping everything else (like # of views, item number, etc) the same. I switch all the time, I really don't see the issue myself. If anything, eBay buries listings that haven't sold in a few days so it's better to have a new listing with a new number.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

@thatsallfolks wrote:

Probably the part that causes one to use up a free listing or to actually pay for a new listing. Pretty much like people who think a GTC listing should only incur one listing fee even if it runs for 10 years.

The basic level of free listings for the store level you have does NOT cover listing fees for auctions.  So if you switch a BIN to an auction, you will get charged the going fee for listing an auction.

The free auction listings that Ebay offers with a store subscription are extremely limited for very few catagories.  Most sellers can't even use them.

The reason that some feel a GTC should not have a new fee each month is that there are a few sites out there that don't require a new listing fee every month.  Some don't have listing fees at all.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:
 ... The free auction listings that Ebay offers with a store subscription are extremely limited for very few catagories.  Most sellers can't even use them.....

I was under the impression that the 13 "fashion" and "collectibles" categories in which store subscribers can use their free auction insertions were some of the most popular.  The list includes Health & Beauty, which is half of your listings.  

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:
 ... The free auction listings that Ebay offers with a store subscription are extremely limited for very few catagories.  Most sellers can't even use them.....

I was under the impression that the 13 "fashion" and "collectibles" categories in which store subscribers can use their free auction insertions were some of the most popular.  The list includes Health & Beauty, which is half of your listings.  

They are very limited in the options in which you can list in.  While fashion and collectibles are very popular categories, I don't know that they are the most popular and certainly not the only popular categories to be sure.  Most sellers do not sell in those categories.  If most sellers did, those categories would be so over populated with sellers it would be ridiculous.

As to the Health and Beauty option for auctions.  While yes, I sell in that category I do not run auctions with my fragrance listings.  I have found that IPR is too important for these listings to risk the auction format.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

now you're getting it.  If a seller can change the price, add pics/remove them, edit the description, add shipping cost all at no cost, than the only reason I can see for why this instant switch software does not exist the way I'd prefer it, is because of what you said.  It's a cheap grab at whittling away at the fee promos or getting 30 cents out of us.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@password9019 wrote:

now you're getting it.  If a seller can change the price, add pics/remove them, edit the description, add shipping cost all at no cost, than the only reason I can see for why this instant switch software does not exist the way I'd prefer it, is because of what you said.  It's a cheap grab at whittling away at the fee promos or getting 30 cents out of us.

IMHO that is ridiculous.  Ebay neither hides or otherwise misleads a seller on the fees for any given type of listing.  BIN listings simply do not list at the same fee as an auction.  If you don't want to pay the listing fee for an auction, then don't run auctions.  

Changing a pic or price is completely different from changing the TYPE of listing altogether.  

You may "prefer" not cost difference, but that does not mean that Ebay has to comply with your preferences and they have NEVER said they would.

"Free Promos" are NOT all the same.  Ebay runs various promos at any given time.  It is up to the seller to decide if they want to take advantage of that promo or not.  It is the seller's responsibility to read the announcement and take into consideration if the perimeters of that promo they have been invited to meets their needs as the are NOT all the same.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Have never switched from a fixed price to auction format in over a decade, personally have no use for that functionality, and I doubt anyone else except you does.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one"
Message 11 of 11
latest reply