cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spendable funds..........

Looks like the spending thing is rolling out...........

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/payments-and-fees/spendable-funds

I got an invite in my ebay message with a place to enroll.  (note it said invitation, so perhaps not to everyone).....

Of course, then I see an enroll place on the payment summary page.........

In typical Ebay fashion...........clicking on the enroll in either place takes you to a blank page..........

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Spendable funds..........

@dhbookds wrote:

Looks like the spending thing is rolling out...........

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/payments-and-fees/spendable-funds

I got an invite in my ebay message with a place to enroll.  (note it said invitation, so perhaps not to everyone).....

Of course, then I see an enroll place on the payment summary page.........

In typical Ebay fashion...........clicking on the enroll in either place takes you to a blank page..........

I have no need for it and never did. If I did used it I could only spend my funds on eBay.

I let eBay send the funds to my bank account and if I wish to use my funds to purchase
anything anywhere that accepts PayPal I use PayPal and select my bank account as
the funding source.

When I do that eBay (fronts) the money to the merchant and then withdraws the money
from my bank account.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

In typical Ebay fashion.........

@dhbookds 

Maybe they fixed it by now, but the program had an additional unsavory consequece  as well.  One must turn on "two step verification" and the ability to turn it off is then removed.   

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Turning-off-2-step-verification-is-a-nightmare-I-am-on-my-thir...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/How-can-i-disable-2-factor-authentication/td-p/33016220

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

IF this is something a lot of sellers end up using, it could definitely have a positive impact on sales overall. 

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

I just got a reminder to join in on the fun(2nd notice).  I think I will take the opportunity to tie customer service up for several hours if not days by demanding to know why they have not given me ANY sales since September 22nd?   Trust me ebay can give anyone sales.  You can be selling dryer lint or catball fur in the knitting section and you WILL get sales if ebay actually shows your items to relevant buyers.  This is the longest I think i've ever went without a sale when I was trying to sell.  41 days is some sort of double secret probation punishment.  I will call and tell ebay I can't find my funds to buy anything and I wanted to go on a shopping spree.  

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

IF this is something a lot of sellers end up using, it could definitely have a positive impact on sales overall. 

It does come with some constraints. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/spendable-funds/spendable-funds?id=5305 

This may help some cash strapped sellers but I would rather use my CC for the purchase which is essentially a free loan for up to 30 days and on top of that I get 5% back from the CC on my purchases. 

This does work out well for eBay however since I suspect they will earn interest on the $ that are sitting in spendable funds similar to what PayPal did. It also relieves them of the CC merchant charge if the buyer uses the spendable funds as opposed to using PayPal or a CC. EBay does have some creative accountants when it comes to figuring out how to increase revenue and/or reduce expenses. 

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt  Agree.

But this is in early roll out stages. I wouldn't be surprised if ebay adds some "perks" to this to sweeten the deal. As you say, this benefits ebay on the back end, which gives ebay some incentive to add incentives for sellers (while, of course, not cutting into ebay's benefits too much LOL)

So, I'll take a wait and see viewpoint.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

I was invited Oct 11th

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

lol, still getting a blank page........and, as others, I doubt I would use it.

But certainly there was quite an uproar when people were switched to MP and couldn't use the $$ to buy.......so some will use it and perhaps accumulate it as their "play money".........  I do think it may spur  some sales......so glad to see it.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

When it first came out I actually assumed we could use available funds to purchase things.  I'm not a flipper but many are.  I just assumed it would be there as a convenience.  It's actually pretty eyebrow raising it has taken them this long.  My local liquor store went from featuring Korbel to Dom right before the 1st stimulus checks went out.  

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

This will absolutely increase sales. I know when I was a hobby seller I would usually just turn around and spend all that paypal money on other things on ebay. I am sure plenty of other hobby sellers did the same thing. With the money hitting the bank account it turned into REAL MONEY, that people were less likely to just blow on fake autographed photos of Claire Danes and other such things that I know I used to buy back in the old days.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

When I click to enroll its just sends me to a blank page.  Typical.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

I'm pretty sure that ship sailed when they dropped the PP "digital wallet" and forced everyone into MP without having a "wallet" option.

The ones who used PP balances as their play money are now used to it going to their bank account.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Have not checked into it, but for me it is a "no go". 

I don't buy, and sell on the same account.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

It's a ridiculous. While you activate this offer its irreversible so you are facing annoying two step verification which also can not be disabled and you can transfer you funds to bank account not oftener than weekly. This program benefits Ebay only!!! 

Message 15 of 20
latest reply