Selling
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post

Smoke smell complaints and returns...HELP!

Smoke smell complaints and returns...HELP!

eclectic-miscellany
Adventurer
Last Edited 04:52:44 AM

Hello Ebay ppl !
I'm fairly new to selling and it seems like there's a never-ending learning curve! I hope to get some feedback from some experienced sellers.
I sell mostly second hand (used) clothing the bulj of which are jeans. Shipping isn't cheap, so I'm trying to figure out how to minimize returns the require me to bear the return shipping cost.
I am an ex-smoker (5yrs w/out a cig.) and no one in my household smokes. Have I gone nose blind?
We launder all items prior to shipping and yet I've recently have had a couple complaints of smoke smell, one that resulted in a full refund with return shipping paid by yours truly after threat of a case being opened.
Please help!
Any and all feedback is appreciated!
I'm just a guy trying to make a few bucks and believe in keeping the customer happy.
Thanks All,

Tom

Message 1 of 42
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Smoke smell complaints and returns...HELP!

in reply to Feb 27, 2018 10:26:21 AM
Community Team
Community Team

@dhbookds wrote:

As I said, it's going to happen.......

trinton@ebay

If one has a disclaimer in the listing about smoke smells (I buy in many places and cannot guarantee a smoke smell free item).......  is smoke smell an adequate reason for return/and could a neg for it be removed since it was in the listing? 

Hi @dhbookds, smells would only be a valid return reason if a) the listing states the item comes from a smoke free home b) the listing states it comes from a pet free home c) the smell is an integral part of the item ie. a vanilla scented candle or d) the smell reported poses a health risk, such as the smell of chemicals. In these instances, we would cover a smell. If the seller has no disclaimer about smoke or pets, then the buyer's concerns regarding odors related to these factors would not be covered. We do not cover "musty" or "perfume" smells (unless of course the item is perfume and the concern is that it does not smell like the specific odor it is meant to smell like).

If any members response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and one member's response resolved your question, please click 'Accept as Solution.' More on Accepted Solutions.

Message 12 of 42
41 REPLIES

in reply to Feb 27, 2018 5:15:55 AM
jklfindings
Trailblazer

As an ex-smoker myself, getting that smell out of clothing is insanely difficult.  A single wash won't do.  Heck multiple washes may not get the smell out.  Some people are very sensitive to smells, while others are not.  My personal suggestion would be to avoid buying inventory from a smoking enviroment.

Message 2 of 42

in reply to Feb 27, 2018 5:21:29 AM
eclectic-miscellany
Adventurer
If buying from mostly Thrift stores, how could one possibly know the item's origin?
Message 3 of 42

in reply to Feb 27, 2018 5:53:39 AM
dhbookds
Rockstar

As said, some people have hyper sense of smell..... others will try to use it as an excuse for remorse return so you pay shipping.  You can try a disclaimer in your listings.....I buy from a variety of places and cannot guarantee that any item is smoke free....  I "think" ebay will not support a return because of smoke complaint. 

But even if they don't, you can still get hit with the neg as you've seen.  Only way to possibly fight that is a "cheerful" return for any reason at my expense......  and even that may not satisfy some.......

Message 4 of 42

in reply to Feb 27, 2018 5:56:52 AM
eclectic-miscellany
Adventurer
The one negative fb was offered a 'cheerful ' refund which he refused and kept the item and still dinged my fb!?
Message 5 of 42

in reply to Feb 27, 2018 6:37:50 AM
fern*wood
Rockstar

If you are getting numerous complaints, then you may be somewhat nose blind.  Even though you no longer smoke, the smell could be lingering in your home.  Where are you storing your clothing items?

Then again, I've never smoked and once had a similar complaint.

Message 6 of 42

in reply to Feb 27, 2018 6:45:25 AM
dhbookds
Rockstar

trinton@ebay

If one has a disclaimer in the listing about smoke smells (I buy in many places and cannot guarantee a smoke smell free item).......  is smoke smell an adequate reason for return/and could a neg for it be removed since it was in the listing? 

Message 7 of 42

in reply to Feb 27, 2018 6:45:43 AM
swenson8781
Guide

The items that have the complaints, were those your own items, or ones you purchased from a thrift store? If they are from a thrift, not much you can do really.  Do the people smoke at/near the thrift store that might expose the items to that?  Maybe they smoke in or near the outside donation area?  If they are your personal items, I would put them in a tote, in the garage, or somewhere outdoors to try & air them out for a few weeks, then try washing them. 

No other ideas than those, and you are doing the right thing by offering a refund, that's the best you can do.  Sorry about the negs, just keep selling and that will help bump up your feedback score again, and eventually they will drop off too.

Message 8 of 42

in reply to Feb 27, 2018 6:50:42 AM
glgenterprise
Thrill-Seeker

@fern*woodwrote:

If you are getting numerous complaints, then you may be somewhat nose blind.  Even though you no longer smoke, the smell could be lingering in your home.  Where are you storing your clothing items?

Then again, I've never smoked and once had a similar complaint.

I'd agree that maybe where you are storing the items could be part of the problem.  Smoke smell can linger, and if you are a former smoker, it might be hard for you to notice a light smell in your house that has been there since you were a smoker.

Couple of ideas -  find a friend who is not a smoker/has a good sense of smell and have them give you a *honest* opinion on your house and whether it smells *at all*. Tell them it won't offend you if they think it smells of smoke.

Also - wherever you're storing items - really deep clean the space, including the carpets and maybe even repaint.

Message 9 of 42

in reply to Feb 27, 2018 7:04:55 AM
patd3283
Trailblazer

Check your packing items.  Some with plastics, tape, etc. give off a smell that many folks identify as a smoke smell.

Patd

Message 10 of 42

in reply to Feb 27, 2018 7:11:04 AM
eclectic-miscellany
Adventurer
I understand what you're saying, but in the years being smoke free, I've purchased new furniture and carpeting. I just can't imagine 5 yrs later smoke smell not only still lingers but is infecting the clothing as well. All clothing items are stored in tightly sealed storage bins in a room that's remained virtually unused for the 10 yrs I've lived here.
To say the least, its frustrating!
Message 11 of 42

in reply to Feb 27, 2018 10:26:21 AM
Community Team
Community Team

@dhbookds wrote:

trinton@ebay

Hi @dhbookds, smells would only be a valid return reason if a) the listing states the item comes from a smoke free home b) the listing states it comes from a pet free home c) the smell is an integral part of the item ie. a vanilla scented candle or d) the smell reported poses a health risk, such as the smell of chemicals. In these instances, we would cover a smell. If the seller has no disclaimer about smoke or pets, then the buyer's concerns regarding odors related to these factors would not be covered. We do not cover "musty" or "perfume" smells (unless of course the item is perfume and the concern is that it does not smell like the specific odor it is meant to smell like).

If any members response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and one member's response resolved your question, please click 'Accept as Solution.' More on Accepted Solutions.

Message 12 of 42

in reply to Feb 27, 2018 12:06:47 PM
lewisburggold
Trailblazer

People smell things all different.   Someone can smell things that you or i would not be able to.  Some cant smell anything and will swear to you they have the best nose in the country.  Try to take it all with a grain of salt.  If they say the smell something there is a good chance they do.  Do all the returns and the refunds then block them if you think you should.   Best regards

Message 13 of 42

in reply to Feb 27, 2018 12:11:27 PM
tadpoletrading
Adventurer

trinton@ebaywrote:

@dhbookdswrote:

trinton@ebay

Message 14 of 42

in reply to Feb 27, 2018 12:15:22 PM
tadpoletrading
Adventurer

Re EBay telling to give helpful.

I just tried to give you a helpful, your name never came up.  In fact many times I've tried to give helpful to people, but am unable to?  

Wish I could.

Message 15 of 42

in reply to Feb 27, 2018 12:29:33 PM
d-k_treasures
Rockstar

@swenson8781wrote:

The items that have the complaints, were those your own items, or ones you purchased from a thrift store? If they are from a thrift, not much you can do really.  Do the people smoke at/near the thrift store that might expose the items to that?  Maybe they smoke in or near the outside donation area?  If they are your personal items, I would put them in a tote, in the garage, or somewhere outdoors to try & air them out for a few weeks, then try washing them. 

No other ideas than those, and you are doing the right thing by offering a refund, that's the best you can do.  Sorry about the negs, just keep selling and that will help bump up your feedback score again, and eventually they will drop off too.

Without a return? That's the wrong thing to do. It just gives someone another push to get a free item.

in reply to Feb 27, 2018 12:31:46 PM
fern*wood
Rockstar

@tadpoletradingwrote:

I just tried to give you a helpful, your name never came up.  In fact many times I've tried to give helpful to people, but am unable to?  

Wish I could.

All you have to do to give a "helpful" is click on the thumbs up symbol in the lower bottom on the left of the post you wish to credit.

Message 17 of 42

in reply to Feb 27, 2018 12:33:17 PM
livadia
Guide

@tadpoletradingwrote:

Wish I could.

@tadpoletrading

Try clicking on the thumbs up *icon* at the bottom of any post, as opposed to the box marked "Helpful."

Message 18 of 42

in reply to Feb 27, 2018 12:56:58 PM
swenson8781
Guide

@d-k_treasures, no, NOT without returning the item.  I think most frequent posters on here know the importance anymore of requiring that buyers return items for the most part (aside from when it's not really cost effective, but even then I do usually require it), just to ensure it's legit, and weed out partial fishers. 

But I sometimes don't remember that many newer sellers read these posts also, and that I need to be specific/more clear with my responses Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 42

in reply to Feb 27, 2018 1:17:22 PM
noodlevette
Trailblazer

Does your mail carrier smoke?  

I bought something once from a gal that had a disclaimer on her listings, so when it arrived of course I smelled it.  (It smelled fine)

So I had to ask why she had the disclaimer- she said everything she ordered smelled like smoke, finally figured out it was her mailcarrier, and was afraid it might work in reverse on everything she shipped.  

Short of stalking your mail carrier I don't know how you figure out if this is the case, but it is another possibility.

Message 20 of 42