cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipped with ebay label

Recently shipped an item that was sold using ebays label as I usually do , the item gets where it is to be delivered and then I notice that it says return to sender , the reason for this it stated "No Such Number" and the buyer submitted a request and a refund was given from my funds by ebay the buyer stated that we should put the right address ?  This is written in the policy that in this situation the seller is not at fault and therefore not responsible for this , Obviously I have no control over the buyers information and shouldn't this have been automatically handled as it clearly shows the reason for the issue  and I have tried now 5 times to reach support . The amount of issues that have arisen the past month for the lowest amount of items that have sold isn't worth the trouble because the amount of time it takes to maybe get a single issue resolved is a joke , I am doing ebays job and mine to result in not only not making sales but going through this and it is costing me out of pocket as well  and this is just one issue of many that I have to resolve to be out more money , I don't think so . Any insight into this is appreciated

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Shipped with ebay label

Sometimes seller confuse Ebay putting their money on hold as actually giving it back to the buyer.  

When a buyer files a claim, in this case an INR, you would be covered under Seller protection because you shipped to the address the buyer gave you on their payment notification.  But Ebay will hold your money until the claim is resolved. 

This is something you should win and the money should never go back to the buyer.  I know the buyer is trying to make this your fault, it is NOT.  It is theirs.  They had the wrong info in their Ebay account or failed to update it.  You don't need to contact Ebay, just make sure you do everything through the claim, even communicating with your buyer.  But remember, you did NOT do anything wrong, the buyer provided incorrect information to YOU.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

It seems odd that if you purchased the Shipping Label thru eBay and did not change anything on the shipping that eBay would hold you accountable.

I would appeal that decision. Just keep trying until you do get Support.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Sometimes seller confuse Ebay putting their money on hold as actually giving it back to the buyer.  

When a buyer files a claim, in this case an INR, you would be covered under Seller protection because you shipped to the address the buyer gave you on their payment notification.  But Ebay will hold your money until the claim is resolved. 

This is something you should win and the money should never go back to the buyer.  I know the buyer is trying to make this your fault, it is NOT.  It is theirs.  They had the wrong info in their Ebay account or failed to update it.  You don't need to contact Ebay, just make sure you do everything through the claim, even communicating with your buyer.  But remember, you did NOT do anything wrong, the buyer provided incorrect information to YOU.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Can you clarify what you mean when you say "then I notice it says return to sender" -what was "it" that said that?  A notification from eBay?  The postal tracking?  Did you get the item back?  

Also you say the buyer "submitted a request and a refund was given" -exactly what kind of request?  I think we're assuming you mean they filed an Item Not Received (INR) claim, but your wording of things is a bit odd so maybe it's best to make sure that's what you mean.  

If you did receive the item back, then I don't know why you think you should have gotten to keep the money.  Even if it was the buyer's fault for having the wrong address in the system, you weren't left "out money" from this transaction.  You're just back where you started, with an item you can sell. 

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

So I get notifications and apon reviewing that It was a request, I go look at the info and noticed the item was return to sender

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Ethically and morally you shouldn't keep both the returned item AND the buyer's money but in ebay land they say if it's RTS for a faulty address that's what you CAN do.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 6 of 26
latest reply

so if you are up on policy then you know that it states you are not responsible for buyers incorrect data and thus covered and as such there should not be any refund given and this isnt my opinion its stated policy.  Your not thinking this through or overthinking?

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

@vintage-rc-network wrote:

So I get notifications and apon reviewing that It was a request, I go look at the info and noticed the item was return to sender

I think you miss the point.  More detail is needed.

What kind of a "notification" did you see that it was a "request" and a "request" for What exactly?

You went and "looked at the info", what info?  Where did you see that it was "return to sender"?  On the tracking??

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

So you are correct indeed, BUT, So Ebay refunded this and in doing violated theyre own policy is the Entire Issue I have here and hence this post to get feedback from you all here

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

so if you are up on policy then you know that it states you are not responsible for buyers incorrect data and thus covered and as such there should not be any refund given and this isnt my opinion its stated policy.  Your not thinking this through or overthinking?

Oh you'd need to produce a link to a policy that says that!!!  

The policy / Ebay will not force you to refund the buyer, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't refund the buyer.  In ALL cases I've handled over the years that are like this, I ALWAYS refund the buyer the price of the product if it comes back to me unharmed.  I do not refund the original shipping or the fees to cover that portion of the sale.  Therefore I break even.  Anything less is just not something I would morally what to mess with.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

I concur as this is ebay violating its own policy and should be automatic but yet it is not

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

So you are correct indeed, BUT, So Ebay refunded this and in doing violated theyre own policy is the Entire Issue I have here and hence this post to get feedback from you all here

You never really answered the questions asked earlier.  

When a case is filed, Ebay puts the seller's money on hold to cover the claim.  It is NOT refunded to the buyer UNLESS the case is closed in favor of the buyer or the seller just goes ahead and refunds them.

So what is it?

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

thing there is "eBay"is not the final word anyway. 

What would be the view taken on keeping the buyers payment if a CCC becomes involved.

I think eBay's ............................ "you don't have to refund" would not fly.

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 

@mam98031

I agree.

But.

EBay does not require the seller to refund anything at all if the address the buyer gave is Undeliverable.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Of course the buyer should be refunded. But only when the seller gets their item back.

All the seller has said so far is that the tracking is showing as return to sender. And that's no guarantee they will actually get the item back.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply