cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Music

Here's an odd situation.  We've been sheet music (primarily) sellers for 20 years, and a visiting friend/bidder informed us that he wasn't regularly encountering our listings, which he views w/the saved search "sheet music".  Sounds right?  Right?  Uh-Uh. We list in the actual sheet music category.  Why should I waste space in the title, or description, for that matter, by rewriting the phrase "sheet music" in the category that's devoted to just that collectible?  The Ebay database is doing exactly what it's programmed to do: search titles and descriptions.  It needs to include categories that include the salient phrases/terms/whatever.  How many potential bidders do we lose on a weekly basis, because the search wasn't programmed as comprehensively as it needs to be?  Maybe none, maybe a few.  I'm not going to lose sleep, but powers-that-be at our beloved website: please ponder what I'm writing.  You may be losing out as well. Thanks--

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Sheet Music

@alexsara wrote:

Here's an odd situation. 

Why should I waste space in the title, or description, for that matter, by rewriting the phrase "sheet music" in the category that's devoted to just that collectible?

The Ebay database is doing exactly what it's programmed to do: search titles and descriptions

First, the eBay data base is NOT programmed to search titles and descriptions. It will not search descriptions unless the user specifically checks the box to tell it to search descriptions. 

Second, to my knowledge eBay has never stated that the category descriptions will be matched to search terms when performing a search.

Are you saying that for 20 years, you have actively chosen not to put the words 'sheet music' in the title or description of a listing that was selling sheet music?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Sheet Music

From eBay's own "Writing a good title" guide:

"State exactly what your item is, even if your title repeats the category name."

https://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/title_desc_ov.html

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Sheet Music

The ebay procedure will not change. Next time that you list, try using "sheet music" in the headline and see if it bumps up your views and leads to increased sales. I list sheet music from Broadway shows in the Theatre Collectibles category, so I obviously have to state the type of product (although I generally use the "songbooks and scripts" sub-category).
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Sheet Music

Whenever I see that someone has been selling online for many years, I automatically wonder if they have been selling exactly the same thing in exactly the same way for all that time.

Because things are different since 1997.

One big difference is that over 50% of customers are now shopping on phones.

And mobiles show a much different look than our carefully curated Listings on a desktop.

The title and the picture are much more important. The category less so.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Sheet Music

eBay even suggests that you use the CATEGORY (or brand sub category) in the title. Now you can see why.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Sheet Music

@alexsara wrote:

“...I'm not going to lose sleep, but powers-that-be at our beloved website: please ponder what I'm writing.  You may be losing out as well. Thanks--

This is a member to member forum and i fear the Powers will not see your post here. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Sheet Music

You have to give in to the algorithym.

You have to put in inportant search terms in the title even though it sounds repetitive

The categories are so overloaded, people can't scan the categories anymore, too

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Sheet Music

Why wouldn't you put what the item is in the title seems like a no brainer to me, not everyone browses under the sheet music catergory most people would simply type "sheet music" in the search bar.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Sheet Music

Why should you waste the space?

Because your title here on eBay is also searched by external search engines, so you might be losing out on sales simply because your item doesn't have 'what' it is in the title.  Also, while quite a few buyers search usings categories, many still search by simply typing 'what' they are looking for into the search bar (like me!). 

Many times, items are/can be listed in multiple categories, yet most sellers are only willing to pay for one, or what they feel will be likely to reach the most buyers.   When I type the 'item' into the seach bar, I see all the items that match that, regardless of category.   

If you sell sheet music, the words 'sheet music' should always be the very first 2 words of your title IMO.  Redundant, yes probably; effective, yes probably.  If it were me, I'd start wasting the space, and you might be surprised to find an increase in sales overall Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Sheet Music

@alexsara wrote:

Why should I waste space in the title, or description, for that matter, by rewriting the phrase "sheet music" in the category that's devoted to just that collectible? 

I have been on Ebay for coming on 20 years and have NEVER searched by category. Hopefully that answers you question as to why it is imperative to put "sheet music" in the title.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply