cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling with delayed shipping

I want to sell some items of clothing on ebay that have to be manuactured first.  Therefore shipping will be delayed, for example 6 to 8 weeks from the date sold.  Is this allowed on eBay?

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

That's not acceptable. Delay should be no longer than two weeks or so.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

No, the maximum handling time allowed by ebay is 30 days. 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

As stated above - not acceptable

wait until you can promptly ship your items to buyers before posting your listings

- you are asking for problems and negative feedbacks -

buyers will be asking for a refund and opening item not received cases against you  - not a good idea 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Thank you every one for your helpful remarks. I know it is unusual but I will make it very clear in my listing that how this deal is done. I have to list first and then need the time to make it and then ship it. If there was a way that I could get 1/2 the payment first and 1/2 when it is shipped is also acceptable to me. I just need to find a way how to deal with eBay 2 weeks or is it 30 days? handling and shipping regulation. I wonder if I make a eBay store, it will make a difference.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

30 days is the absolute maximum handling time for ebay transactions whether you have a Store or not. And you cannot override that with any terms that you put in your listing, no matter how unusual or special you are.  Part of the reason for the 30-day limit is based in policies of the FTC (Federal Trade Commission).

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I am very pro-Ebay but the types of items you are selling might do better on the "craft and vintage site" where folks just KNOW that items are being custom made and will ship out later.  (I sell vintage jewelry there and a friend makes sweaters there).

That said, you might make a couple and have them ready to go or a range of sizes (s, m, l) and then take the closest size and tailor it for the buyer in a week or so (say a medium down to a 10).  While Ebay has the advantage over the craft site in that you can sell dang near everything here (instead of only vintage or crafts), Ebayers expect stuff to arrive like YESTERDAY and probably wont wait.

I recall years back that folks made custom items but that the negs racked up quickly while buyers waited for the item to be made and shipped.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@nolabel.ny wrote:
Thank you every one for your helpful remarks. I know it is unusual but I will make it very clear in my listing that how this deal is done. I have to list first and then need the time to make it and then ship it. If there was a way that I could get 1/2 the payment first and 1/2 when it is shipped is also acceptable to me. I just need to find a way how to deal with eBay 2 weeks or is it 30 days? handling and shipping regulation. I wonder if I make a eBay store, it will make a difference.

Unfortunately your explanation wont cut it with Ebay or Paypal - you need to deliver within 30 days.  And there is no mechanism to do half payment now and half later (as there is on Etsy).  Nor will a store save you.  Any way you can have some ready to go?  At least make one of each size and style and list it that way?

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Thank you so much.  I am going to start looking for other sites where I can do it.  

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Thank you.  I will check Etsy and see how that works.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply