cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling on eBay is not worth it. Rip off!!

I am making very sure to warn anyone and tell everyone that eBay is a big rip off and it’s better to sell off sites that won’t over charge you more than they should. I Sold an item for 259$ and paid for the shipping myself. eBay paid me only 201$ ??? How are they allowed to keep that much of my money ? It’s not worth selling here. 

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

So this listing was under a different ID?  

Message 16 of 35
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

How much did you pay for the shipping label? 

He said, if you didn’t read it already, “I paid for postage and Didn’t print a label from them.” 

So he “didn’t print a label for them.”

Message 17 of 35
latest reply

@hicko-debra wrote:

I am making very sure to warn anyone and tell everyone that eBay is a big rip off and it’s better to sell off sites that won’t over charge you more than they should. I Sold an item for 259$ and paid for the shipping myself. eBay paid me only 201$ ??? How are they allowed to keep that much of my money ? It’s not worth selling here. 

I Understand,

Thanks for the warning. 

I'll take your opinion into consideration. 

Message 18 of 35
latest reply

eBay is not to blame for your lack of knowledge of how to sell on eBay/what the fees are if an item sells/what to charge for shipping said item,etc,etc,etc. eBay is not to blame ...it is your responsibility to know all these things BEFORE you list anything on eBay or any selling venue for that matter. eBay supplies the platform upon which to list items/products...the rest is up to you...It was/is your responsibility to know all there is to know about selling on the site which you choose to list items/products.

Message 19 of 35
latest reply

@hicko-debra wrote:

Thanks, I'm going to cancel all of my listings ASAP.

Message 20 of 35
latest reply

Hi, what did your breakdown of fees say? Because something does not add up. If eBay made an error, it needs to be rectified. But more info is needed before we can help you. Did you use any listing upgrades when you filled out the listing form? Was this an auction or a buy-it-now?

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

Ebay charges 12.9% for most of the items I sell. But they charge based on taxes and shipping despite not having a store. I sold an item for $128 and ebay charged me 12.9% of $138 because they added in sales tax. They also take a percentage of the shipping IF the buyer pays it. Overall I made a profit of approximately $10. It really isnt worth it. Plus then they do charge a listing fee as if they didnt already take enough. Their new fees are making it impossible to not quadruple the price when you’re trying to sell something. I’ve been on eBay for about 20 years and they didn’t used to do all of this.

Message 22 of 35
latest reply

What was the item sold?  It doesn't look like there are any sales under your ID.

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

Overall I made a profit of approximately $10. It really isnt worth it.

Agree with you..........but the real "culprit" in your case sounds like the price you paid for the item, if it sold for $128......and you only made a profit of $10.......... 

Message 24 of 35
latest reply

Why do you complain when you knew in advance exactly what eBay charges you for a sale, why are you here? I dont get it, I wish ebay could sell all my things, I would gladly pay double.

Message 25 of 35
latest reply

To these kinds of posts we always get you should have known the rules, eBay charges what everyone else does.....

But the real point here, at least for me, is that eBay is hurting my margins Unless you have pricing power, you can't just raise prices. I sell by auction ( no reserves with low starting prices) because my business model is the quick flip. I buy to resell with the hopes of generating a 25-35% profit.  This has become extremely difficult on eBay. I know my markets and I know the range an item will sell for. Those ranges can be quit a bit.

A recent example shows how hard selling has become. I sold an item for $411 that I paid $300 for about 36% revenue above my purchase price. The total value of the transaction was $455. My fees were $56 and I cleared $52 or 15%.  

People say the fee is only 12.5%. The fact is the fees is charged against the value of the total transaction, which is always greater than the revenue producing portion of the sale. Since you never know in advance what state it will sell in and the tax rate or final shipping if you use a calculator fees are variable and hard to predict.

Based against revenue my fees usually 14% or more of my selling price.

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

@hicko-debra wrote:

No wonder you're not making money.

Your dollar sign is in the wrong place.

Cannonball - Supertramp
Message 27 of 35
latest reply

@divwido wrote:

Oh Grow up.   Your lack of knowledge does not make eBay the bad guy.

But he paid the shipping HIMSELF!

Cannonball - Supertramp
Message 28 of 35
latest reply

Your account has been active since 2014, at least this one, but I do not see any sold items under this account. Regardless as others stated you should already be well aware of the fees eBay charges and either accept that fact or quit selling. 

Just out of curiosity how much did you make off of the transaction after expenses and did you let the buyer know that you make a xx% profit off of their purchase? 

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

@christinar832 wrote:

Ebay charges 12.9% for most of the items I sell. But they charge based on taxes and shipping despite not having a store. I sold an item for $128 and ebay charged me 12.9% of $138 because they added in sales tax. They also take a percentage of the shipping IF the buyer pays it. Overall I made a profit of approximately $10. It really isnt worth it. Plus then they do charge a listing fee as if they didnt already take enough. Their new fees are making it impossible to not quadruple the price when you’re trying to sell something. I’ve been on eBay for about 20 years and they didn’t used to do all of this.

If you sold it for $128 and only made $10 profit, sounds like you paid to much for it to begin with.

When Pay Pay was processing the payments, between them and Ebay, we were paying 12.9%.

A lot has changed in the last 20 years and you have to adapt to the changes if you want to make it.

Have a great day
Message 30 of 35
latest reply