cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling Vinyl LPs on eBay

Hi Community,

Hope this question finds everyone in good health, and Making Money!

I have over 300 vinyl LPs to sell (1950-1980), as well as a ton of 45s, and a few hundred ancient 78s. I've noted on a lot of other venues with record sales (Amazon, for example), that 1-2 minute clips or samples from the actual record can be previewed (listened to) before making a purchase.

I thkn this is a really great marketing tool for selling used and vintage records!

Do we have any capability like that available on eBay? (some way to attach short mp3, or .wav files to an Item Listing?)

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Selling Vinyl LPs on eBay

No I'm saying there are not as many buyers as 3 years ago but way more sellers so buyers just dont come here and buy as often as they used to.  EBAY cheerleaders will certainly tell you to list anything and everything on here as much as possible (even at higher prices than a competitor) because the fact is---ebay makes a profit even if you lose a sale and have to give a refund and supply a label.  The place is loaded with 78 records listing because few people buy them. Feel free to spend as much of your own money as you like listing them. It wont affect me one bit. 

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Understand that ebay makes money even if your items dont sell you still have to pay them to list these same items over and over until they do sell thats if they sell. 

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Here is a great way to do what you are saying. Tell the buyer to go to youtube and look for the album and track you are selling so they can listen to them. Then they will just smile and not buy your records because they realized they can listen to the same music on line for free and not pay for it.  That or do a recording or sample of every track on your record (all 300) and upload them all to youtube so your buyer can listen. It wont be a lot of work. Piece of cake. Dont expect ebay to host your files youre wasting your time to even suggest it. 

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

To be fair, I have an eBay Store, and sometimes I forget that not everyone does.  It's the super-cheap, budget, economy version Store - but it still saves me a lot of money on listing fees, re-listing fees, and other logisitics percs. Because I offer some charity listings, I even get listing fee credits back from eBay from time to time.

I watch the number of Views per month, and set up most (30 Day) items to automatically re-list twice.  If, after three months I'm seeing only 10 Views a month on the average, and no Watchers, then I tweak the price down slightly.  If I feel the price is already a good price, then I change the Listing to a to a "Good 'Til Cancellled" Listing and let it ride 'til it Sells.  If you're getting slaughtered on other costs, find a way to reduce them. Get inventive.

Sales have gone really cold on eBay in almost every listing category over the past couple years, so you have to find new ways to attract Buyers.  There is still so much great stuff available here on eBay, that should not be allowed to end up in a land-fill in north Jersey somewhere.

Everything has a value to someone.  Find that value, and attract that someone, and you're Golden!

Never give up!  Never surrender!

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

It's OK. Love your puns! So you have a cheap store ($4.95/mo?), but still helps you save some Ebay costs. Good to know. I have about 120- 78's and 100-33's and found that packaging them (like 10 for $24.95) is the way to go. I ended up buying a Victola record player to make sure of the quality and I'm hooked; My friends and neighbors want to hear the "oldies".  Funny, some have a price tag of $2.89 and sell some at $6-$7, nice profit. Enjoy your comments.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply