cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling Fees

gerry4993
Pathfinder

I sold an item on Ebay.  The buyer paid for the item + shipping cost + tax.  The selling fee charged to me by Ebay was for the total paid by the buyer which included shipping and tax costs.  It does not seem to me that these two items should be included in the calculation for selling fees;  especially NOT the tax.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Selling Fees

You were charged correctly, fvf is charged on the total amount the buyer pays.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/fees-selling-costs-charged?id=5297&st=12&pos...

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Selling Fees

Hi @gerry4993 

Many sellers feel as you do … but it is eBay’s policy and isn’t likely to change.

PayPal also charged fees based on the total amount of buyer’s payment.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Selling Fees

It's the way it is; and the way it's been to all stores since the 1940s' when credit card processing started. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Selling Fees

@gerry4993 wrote:

I sold an item on Ebay.  The buyer paid for the item + shipping cost + tax.  The selling fee charged to me by Ebay was for the total paid by the buyer which included shipping and tax costs.  It does not seem to me that these two items should be included in the calculation for selling fees;  especially NOT the tax.

But that’s what you agreed to when you listed the item.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Selling Fees

As someone pointed out on other threads. If ebay did not collect the tax then YOU would have to do so for every sale...then you would need to process it to pay all those states yourself.  How would you go about legally collecting the tax?

BUT ebay also gets a kickback from each of those states for processing it for their end so ebay gets paid twice.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Selling Fees

A brief board search  on this topic.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Selling Fees

Really? 

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Selling Fees

Look, eBay does not decide how things like sales tax are done.  Your elected officials do and then eBay must do as they are told.

Therefore, complain to your congressperson, president, vice president.....

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Selling Fees

As a longtime seller on eBay one would think that you would already know/have read the fees schedule and know how fees are calculated on this site; and that fees are calculated on the TOTAL of the transaction. This is not new and has been around a year or 2...

Whether or not you agree with the process is of little consequence since you agree as a seller to abide by rules, policies,fees if you want to use the site.

Don't like the process? You have a choice...

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Selling Fees

@gerry4993 wrote:

I've heard that eBay agrees with everything you said, they will soon have a big announcement, I am privy to advance information...........

GOOD NEWS, here at eBay we listen to our sellers. We have decided the fees on shipping and sales tax are grossly unfair and we are going to take action!

Effective December 1, fees will no longer be applied to shipping or sales tax. Please check the new fee schedule, no more fees on shipping or sales tax (but we have changed the standard fvf on the Item value from  12.55% to 22%).

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Selling Fees

I am really hoping this is sarcastic humor. I love the small print. 😀

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Selling Fees

I prefer the .com forum. The fellow Canadians on .ca are too stiff, lack a sense of humor and like to give an audience to people who don't deserve it. your answer is on point and effective, but  some on .ca would rather write a 3 pages short novel about it. The sarcasm demonstrated by our fellow below (which gave me a good chuckle) would not have been allowed by the Canadian moderators.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Selling Fees

Boy this thread went off the rails.   No, OP does not want eBay to work for free.  OP just missed the era where people would list items for a dollar with $150 shipping instead of a $125 item plus calculated shipping.  

Sales tax, eBay charges you a fee for money you never handle.  Were I to collect the tax myself, in my state, I would get a credit for doing so.  I presume eBay gets that same credit back as well.  I do not sell enough to other states to require me personally to remit their sales tax.  

On the shipping if you print a label through eBay the discount cancels out the fees to an extent. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply