cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers full name (First Middle and Last) revealed to buyer after payment

Today I paid for a purchase from a seller I've bought from many times.  After payment a window opened on my phone screen (as usual) that said my first name and "do you like this seller?"

Below that instead of the sellers eBay user name like before it gave their full real name(First Middle Last) name.

"Keep track of their new listings, special offers, and easily find them again."

"Save This Seller"

"Maybe Later"

Since the seller ships from a Post Office box address and uses their eBay name on shipping address I mentioned it to them.  They didn't really seem to mind.  I'm just wondering what has changed to start giving out sellers real names immediately after a payment is sent.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

just another flawed action by eBay

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

@meltdown717 

You know I noticed this the other day, I really couldn't believe it. Yup, it's their full name for everyone to view, was on my cell too.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Thank you.  I was wondering if it's new for everyone?  I use my real name and home address on my shipping labels so it does not really affect me.

Still....I would prefer the buyer is suggested "Save This Seller" with my eBay user name which is easy to remember or share.  

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

@meltdown717 wrote:

Still....I would prefer the buyer is suggested "Save This Seller" with my eBay user name which is easy to remember or share.  

And I agree because when you save a seller you save their ID and not Joe A Blacksburg. Now your ID I can remember cuz we've all had one!!!

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

I haven't seen this eBay "improvement yet. Interesting.

I don't care if they have mine. My shipping address is listed under my company name but my company phone/cell is listed under my name.....so....I guess I see where this is going....

I wonder how many sellers they polled on this one?

Can I see hands raised?

Anyone...anyone?

Mike

Firesteel Surplus

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Ugh - I'll bet it's another dimwitted programmer error - where do they get these people?

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

If I still sold here this would irk me to no end.  Especially if I sold valuable things from home.  Easy for a 'buyer' to examine your items here on eBay, buy something not too expensive and even before they receive it they have your name and could research where you live.  I'd get a new ID here and a PO Box.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Products of our educational systems.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Sellers are informed of a buyer's full name after the buyer makes a purchase. Any comments regarding buyers having sellers' names can be said of sellers having buyers' names.

On another note, I can't remember the eBay username of one seller from whom I've purchased in the almost 25 years I've been registered with eBay.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@moondogblues wrote:

If I still sold here this would irk me to no end.  Especially if I sold valuable things from home.  Easy for a 'buyer' to examine your items here on eBay, buy something not too expensive and even before they receive it they have your name and could research where you live.  I'd get a new ID here and a PO Box.

I live in a small town (I mean very small), so I rented my PO Box in the city near my work. I work in office 2-3 days a week, so it's convenient enough. People will be looking for me in the city, not 40 miles away. (I keep a lot at the coin shop though anyway).

I don't have much of an online presence and did not update anything online that's public when my name changed back. But I did update my eBay account, so buyers have my real name, they just can't use it to spy on me.

C.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

Sellers are informed of a buyer's full name after the buyer makes a purchase. Any comments regarding buyers having sellers' names can be said of sellers having buyers' names.

On another note, I can't remember the eBay username of one seller from whom I've purchased in the almost 25 years I've been registered with eBay.

This is true, but the actual name of the seller is not how sellers are found, nor how they're referenced in their listings, it's their username.  Having the seller's actual name is kind of a dead end when, as far as  can tell, this purports to encourage repeat business.

My buyers seem to remember my eBay user name because they sure come back to visit me. 

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

My buyers seem to remember my eBay user name because they sure come back to visit me. 

@chapeau-noir 

I've always liked your user name. It sounds like something from a 1940s mystery novel...and I know you told me what it meant but I've long forgotten. 

Mike

Firesteel Surplus 

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

I should have clarified that I don't remember any eBay sellers' eBay usernames.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

@firesteel_surplus  "Black hat" - I used to sell goth clothing and restore and sell vintage hats.

@pburn  That's what I meant - people seem to remember mine, or maybe they bookmark it.  If you mean someone's personal name - yeah, I doubt anyone remembers mine, which is why I think it's kind of dumb to replace one's ID with their personal name. Unless I've mistaken the point of the thread altogether - from the OP's post it sounded like they had replaced user/account name with the seller's personal name.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 15 of 19
latest reply