cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sell to eBayer with zero feedback?

Would welcome thoughts on doing business with someone with a brand new eBay account (where local pickup is an option particularly).  Does anyone mention this as an issue in the listing itself?  Does anyone cancel bids or decline a sale in this instance?  I have had inquiries from two such potential buyers today (zero feedback, wanting to use cashier checks, wanting to complete the transaction by cell, etc.).  Those two went nowhere (warning signs were obvious) but it made me consider the issue.  Thanks for your thoughts.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sell to eBayer with zero feedback?

@modquaint wrote:

Hi thank you.  I am asking about doing a transaction with local pickup with someone who has never purchased anything on eBay.  Cash would be one thing but the question about a cashier's check set off alarm bells.  Dealing with someone face to face who has no record of transactions at all just makes me nervous.

Hi there @modquaint  I would tell the potential buyer you are only prepared to accept cash.  Also, I would not give them your email or mobile.  I'd keep all coorespondence through ebay's messaging system.  If he agrees to cash only I would set up a meeting/transaction to take place a very well-lit public place during the day time.  I don't think 0 feedback is something to be concerned about.

PS:  I do not know for certain but wonder if there is a way to set up cash only on your listings for local pick up?  I would at least write that in your description.

Good Luck.

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

There's no way to refuse to sell to a member just because they have zero feedback.  You can block any specific bidder, and you can cancel any bid on an active auction.  But if a zero-fb member purchases your "Buy it now" item or wins your auction, you cannot refuse to sell to them.

On the other hand, you should block any member (regardless of their feedback history) who contacts you with a sketchy proposal such as cashier's checks or off-eBay transactions.  Local pickup means cash only!

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Hi there.  Zero feedback isn't necessarily a reason to not do business with someone.  I have had many new zero feedback buyers and all went well.  However, I am a little confused re: local pickup -- are yous saying this potential buyer lives close enough to do local pick-up but would want it shipped instead?  Can you please elaborate what you mean by this?

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

I have no problem selling to zero feedback "brand new" customers. In fact, I trust them more than the slightly more experienced eBayers with 5 to 100 feedbacks. The reason is because a brand new customer has had zero problems with other sellers, and so is jumping in with (generally) 100% trust that everything will go smooth.

The scary group is the 5-100 FB customers who have already learned the weapons eBay offers customers to destroy a sellers rep, such as forcing a return, leaving bad feedback or threatening to leave negatives, yet they have NOT learned that most sellers are perfectly happy to send them a new item if they would only ask. A newbie on the other hand might not even know how to leave a negative or how to initiate a return. So I usually have plenty of time to handle a disgruntled newbie and make them happy again before they find that "Leave horrible feedback without contacting seller first" link.

So I do love the newbies!

As far as accepting payment with cashier's checks... NEGATIVE GHOSTRIDER! No way Jose. Money order, yes. Cashier's checks from online customers aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Hi thank you.  I am asking about doing a transaction with local pickup with someone who has never purchased anything on eBay.  Cash would be one thing but the question about a cashier's check set off alarm bells.  Dealing with someone face to face who has no record of transactions at all just makes me nervous.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Cash & Carry.  There's no reason to decline then.

Anyone trying to circumvent the eBay process (using txt msgs, sending a cashier's check with their 'shipper') is out to defraud you.

I thought for a minute you might've been selling a cell phone or some other high-end electronic.   You're not.  However, you do have some very nice, pricey home furnishings that would still attract some less than desirable attention.

@modquaint

- Suzanne -
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

@modquaint wrote:

eBayers are allowed to have an unlimited number of accounts.  A zero feedback buyer doesn't mean they do not have other eBay usernames and are new to eBay.

Once a listing has ended, eBay punishes sellers who cancel transactions by recording a defect on your selling account.

Blocking usernames does not block the person, just that single username.

You're selling retail to the general public.  Assess your risks - especially for local pickup - before you list.  I've used CL and do pickups at the police station or, on occasion, in the lobby of our bank. Your comfort level may be different.

A cashier's check is CASH. Payment cannot be stopped or anything else done to prevent you from cashing it.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 7 of 22
latest reply

A cashier's check can make a seller nervous, because it can be faked, while carrying a wad of cash can make a buyer nervous because they don't want to get robbed.  Neither is a red flag, but there has to be some level of trust on both sides.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

@modquaint wrote:

Hi there @modquaint  I would tell the potential buyer you are only prepared to accept cash.  Also, I would not give them your email or mobile.  I'd keep all coorespondence through ebay's messaging system.  If he agrees to cash only I would set up a meeting/transaction to take place a very well-lit public place during the day time.  I don't think 0 feedback is something to be concerned about.

PS:  I do not know for certain but wonder if there is a way to set up cash only on your listings for local pick up?  I would at least write that in your description.

Good Luck.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

A cashier's check is CASH. Payment cannot be stopped or anything else done to prevent you from cashing it.

LOL....tell all those sellers who shipped their laptops, pianos, gold bracelets to Nigera....and the phony chshier's check bit  the dust.   

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@modquaint wrote:

You are making assumptions about the buyer when you have no way of knowing much of anything about them.  Why are you assuming this is a problem?  Local pick up or not, it makes no difference.  You are assuming a new Ebay account equals a problem when in fact it does not.  The ONLY thing it means is they have set up a new account.

This could be a seasoned Ebay member as a buyer and/or a seller that decided they wanted to set up a new account for whatever reason they may have.  Sometimes it is a seller that has decided they don't want to purchase stuff using their selling account, so they set up a new account just to use as a buying account.

When you were a seller with zero FB as a seller, did you feel that buyer's shouldn't purchase from you because you had zero FB?  Were they at risk to purchase from you because you had zero FB?

I often use this story, so for those that have seen it before, just ignore it.  What if you went to go shopping at a Target or Walmart or some other store.  They had a greeter at the door to welcome you to the store.  They ask you "have you ever shopped here before".  You answer no, this is your first time.  The greeter then informs you that you are not welcome in the store as you are new and have never been there before.  That makes absolutely no sense, does it.  Of course not.  A silly story that would never happen, but it highlights what you are talking about.

As with any pick up type listing, you want to protect yourself the best you can with any buyer no matter how many FB they have.  A postal money order [as others are often forged] or actual cash.  Type up a receipt [2 copies], you sign both copies and you have your buyer sign both copies.  Each of you takes a copy.  

We all should welcome new members to the site and never make them feel unwanted or as if they have or are doing something wrong.  We want and need more traffic on the site.  To get that, there will be new members.  I welcome them as do most sellers.  While they may need a little extra help in getting through a transaction because they are new, that is part of our jobs as sellers.  These are business transaction and we should always offer up the best customer service possible.  There is great value in repeat customers, never forget that.  You treat them well and they may just come back again and again.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

I asked the question because of the two inquiries that I received.  I also asked the question because local pickup poses a different set of challenges than other transactions when you are dealing face to face.  I did some research during the course of the day and found other sellers who have had issues with new accounts/local pickup arrangements.  Of course anyone is welcome to shop on eBay but that does not mean every transaction is one that should take place.  This board is littered with tales of the most generic basic transactions that have gone wrong.  I only made the "assumption" that formed the basis of my question because of the two inquiries from new accounts that suggested completing the transaction by text and paying with a cashier's check via a mover.  I would not stick my head in the sand and pretend that all potential buyers or sellers are the same.  Banks run your credit.  Schools make you fill out applications.  Even eBay limits new seller accounts to protect the marketplace.  You can't walk into just any bank and cash a check.  And finally, the feedback system is there for all to see for a reason.  Nothing should be wrong with using it when the situation warrants it.  I have never cancelled or blocked a sale.  Just wanted advice on protecting myself in a specific transaction.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Good well thought out questions. I being a female would never do local pickup, but my advice would be, public place, never your home. Ever.

I have heard from Craig's List people that you could be the target of someone casing your place and your stuff, so that's why. So always a public place, hotel lobby, library, police parking lot, there are cameras there. Take someone with you if you can, and cash only. And don't fall for the 'I only brought 180.00' when you said 200.00...did that one time, arghhhh.

Oh well, live and learn.
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

I did some research during the course of the day and found other sellers who have had issues with new accounts/local pickup arrangements.  

Of course you would find issues with new members in your research.  Just as you would find issues with seasoned Ebayers in your research.  

Of course anyone is welcome to shop on eBay but that does not mean every transaction is one that should take place.  This board is littered with tales of the most generic basic transactions that have gone wrong.  

Yes they are.  But that doesn't mean that just because someone has a new account that they are somehow bad or not trustworthy.  If you are looking for guarantees, internet sales is not the place to find them.  

I only made the "assumption" that formed the basis of my question because of the two inquiries from new accounts that suggested completing the transaction by text and paying with a cashier's check via a mover.  

That is a known scam that has been out there for years and years and years.  If they want their "agent" to pay you, run don't walk away from the transaction.  Or if they are saying they will give you a cashier's check for more than the purchase price for any reason they may come up with.  They may even ask for change back.  All of which are scams.  And they don't have to be a new account to try this kind of thing.  

I would not stick my head in the sand and pretend that all potential buyers or sellers are the same.  Banks run your credit.  Schools make you fill out applications.  Even eBay limits new seller accounts to protect the marketplace.  You can't walk into just any bank and cash a check.

There aren't too many sellers out there that have the time or energy to run background checks on potential buyers.  If you are of the opinion this is how Ebay works, you will be disappointed.

And finally, the feedback system is there for all to see for a reason.  Nothing should be wrong with using it when the situation warrants it.  

As a seller you are not allowed to leave negative FB on any buyer's account.  You can't leave neutral either.    You also are not suppose to leave a negative comment on a buyer's FB either.  Ebay frowns on that and you could get in trouble with Ebay if you do this.  

I have never cancelled or blocked a sale.  Just wanted advice on protecting myself in a specific transaction.

I respect that.  You have to do what you can to protect yourself.  But on a pick up item you have a bit more control as a seller.  Just require cash.  You can state that in your listing.  That is their option, cash only.  And then do a receipt as I stated in my first posting for your records and theirs.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Cash or US Postal money order only. NO form of check is 100% safe.
List more, sell more. Goodwill that other, uh, stuff.

Feeling sleepy? There's an app for that.
Message 15 of 22
latest reply