cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Season of Scammers - PSA

Hi, 

In the past 24 hours I had 2 scammers reach out to me aggressively trying to buy my products with cashiers checks.  These two items were just posted yesterday...

I've already reported one to Ebay support yesterday but then I woke up to a sketchy-ass message so I figure I blow the horn to the community. 

I'm sure most seasoned sellers can sniff them out but I'm fairly new and if this had happened a year ago I might have fallen victim.

-If its too good to be true, it is. Both scammers tried to entice me by giving me more money than I had listed. They do this in order for you to hold the product until you receive their check. They'll insist it's good as cash. 

-The first scammer got my information from ebay and started texting me aggresively. As I started to pull away from the "deal" he started telling me what a good Christian he is...

-The message on Ebay from the second scammer told me to text him at his number written out 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,... I'm sure this is to get under the radar from alerting Ebay from exhanging information. 

-I checked both profiles, both have been members since 2018, absolutely no reviews/ratings or anything to sell... and generic names like "Chris John"

If there is any other warning flags you'd like to share please feel free to share!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Season of Scammers - PSA

Thanks for posting this alert and congratulations for your perception!

Just want to add, though, for your protection, so Ebay has no doubt as to your intentions, always respond, I only sell and communicate on Ebay.  Then, if you are sanctioned later, you can call CS and have them read those messages and see that you were compliant.

They altered their phone numbers because they know contact info is not to be sent via messages.

Be sure to block these "buyers".  BBL and block communication, too.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Season of Scammers - PSA

Low FB seller, listing a large amount of expensive items=target for scammers.

If you are really a new seller (no other selling acct) how is it that you do not have any listing limits?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Season of Scammers - PSA

Anytime anyone offers you more money - here or any other selling site, check, money order, Paypal - it's a SCAM. Period the end.

Anytime anyone tries to disguise their phone number or email address - here or any other selling site - it's a SCAM. Period the end.

This should be posted in large red font on every single seller's page - here or any other selling site.

(just wondering out loud, but do they not teach internet safety in schools?? This is pretty common knowledge stuff, and a lot of people that fall for it seem to be young people - not necessarily referring to the OP, just folks in general.)

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Season of Scammers - PSA

I think younger people tend to fall for it when they are offered a little extra money than expected -- all common sense goes out the door.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Season of Scammers - PSA

@belledujour_vintage wrote:

If its too good to be true, it is. Both scammers tried to entice me by giving me more money than I had listed. They do this in order for you to hold the product until you receive their check.

They do it in order to overwhelm your common sense with greed.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply