cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search engine results question.

I just listed a squash blossom necklace and was wondering where it shows up in the search so I used the term 'squash blossom necklace'  (no quotes) and didn't see my item on the first few pages so I assume it's way down the list.  After that I seleced nearest first and it still didn't show up until I typed in two more terms from the title (vintage and silver) then it showed first as I think it should.

Why doesn't it show first without the extra terms?  Without the extra terms it shows another seller who is ten miles away as being the nearest, and my item isn't even on the page.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans
- John Lennon
Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Search engine results question.

If I search all categories simply for the term squash blossom, it returns items in the Native American Pendant's and Necklaces category. What about all the other squash blossom items that aren't necklaces, or even necklaces that are in a different category? Cassini makes a category determination then returns results from that category, even though the search begins in all categories, and there are certainly other categories with items having 'squash blossom' in the title. If that is true, that's messed up IMHO.

- John Lennon

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

After that I seleced nearest first and it still didn't show up until I typed in two more terms from the title (vintage and silver) then it showed first as I think it should.

I think you answered your own question.  Search is based on your title.  And that is why how you phrase it is so important.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Due to the category it might take from 12 to 48 hours before it indexes into search...

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Her item is showing.  She just had to play with the words a bit.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

If they added the tribe name it would show up as the only one for buyers who are searching exact all word titles.....

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Can't call it by the tribe as it is not signed, even though I know what it is and there are hundreds of sellers who list as Native American without knowing the maker, against the rules for items post 1935.

I understand how keywords are important but what I don;t get about Cassini is why it won;t show an item using an exact two word term from the title, without adding more terms.  This isn't how search engines should work in my opinion.  The search should return ALL items with that two word term in the title, regardless of what else is in the title.   With the nearest first selected, that item should be first if the next nearest is 10 miles away.   I don;t think it's an indexing issue because I can retrieve it with the extra terms added.

- John Lennon
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

OK brain fart.. I had been searching in a specific category. Nevermind!
Thanks for the input though 🙂

- John Lennon
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Hmm maybe it's not MY brain fart.. It appears Cassini automatically returns results in that specific category, which is not the category I used because I'm one of the silly people who like to follow the rules... sheesh.

- John Lennon
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

ebay search is defaulting to categories which returns around 20% of whats actually listed. Helps to cut down on sales and increases the listing fees paid for the repeaters....

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

If I search all categories simply for the term squash blossom, it returns items in the Native American Pendant's and Necklaces category. What about all the other squash blossom items that aren't necklaces, or even necklaces that are in a different category? Cassini makes a category determination then returns results from that category, even though the search begins in all categories, and there are certainly other categories with items having 'squash blossom' in the title. If that is true, that's messed up IMHO.

- John Lennon
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Between defaulting to categories and grouped listings its a wonder anyone sells anything,but as you can see from post after post about slow to no sales its just another ebay trainwreck that they can't figure out how to get out of....

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

what are grouped listings?

- John Lennon
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

I agree, I hate that it defaults to a specific category.

It’s interesting how many Native American squash blossom necklaces there are being listed from India.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Yea we even run across fakes here in AZ. Lots of fake baskets from Africa and weavings from all over. Some of the trading posts are full of that kind of stuff.

- John Lennon
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Grouped listings pop in and out my favorite one is sandals when a buyer searches for sandals in grouped they are shown 347 selections the other 5,080,544 sandals are hidden within those groups and buyers need to continue to narrow it down to find what they want.... Most just go someplace else to purchase what they want....

Message 15 of 18
latest reply