cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$$$ Scrounge Lounge - MARCH into Spring $$$

Welcome to the Scrounge Lounge March 2019 Edition

Our History: The Scrounge Lounge formed on the old Auction Listings board in 2003.

Who are we? Ebay buyers and sellers who love the thrill of the hunt and the thrill of the $ELL.
We find treasures in the usual, and at times, unusual places.
Here in the Lounge we share our finds, talk about sales, share our successes and our mistakes, we ask and answer questions, help identify widgets, and we'd love to hear about all your scrounging adventures!

Message 1 of 216
latest reply
215 REPLIES 215

I woke up to snow. Just a few inches. And it will probably change over to rain later. March is coming in like a lion. But until my driveway looks like M*M's I won't complain.

(from Feb)
Pat, you're right about the ruckus. More than once I was in the middle of reading only to find the material gone. It's somewhat entertaining. Has there ever been a change that didn't cause an uproar?

I was always an auction girl. I only recently began using 30-day fixed price listings. I do not like losing control of the duration. But it's not my sandbox. I'll find a way to play nice for as long as I'm having fun and making money.

Message 3 of 216
latest reply

Thank you Kay for the new thread.

Nope Ebay has not made a change that does not make people mad and then they hide the mad people by making their blogs and threads disappear. Such a good company. Hopefully we will all survive the change and make some money while here.
Message 4 of 216
latest reply

Message 5 of 216
latest reply

🙂 haha.. on the snow piles.
er "Sn*w" like the dirty word it is, (quote Patd unquote)
Bummer on the changes...GTC I don't usually use it either...wonder what the benefit to ebay is?
Message 6 of 216
latest reply

woopsie. I didn't see your link, Kay.
Message 7 of 216
latest reply

Re: the benefit to ebay, there are two schools of thinking.
Popular 'out there' it's a money grab. Surely there are sellers who will let listings rollover month after month and pay additional fees if they are over their freebie limit. Another possibility I've read is that it will impove visibility/searchability on google and other search engines.

Could be either or both, or something else. I don't sell on the River but I'm guessing things are GTC there. Anyone know about other sites? The Ranch was GTC of course it was free when I was there many moons ago.

IDK, I would think it would be more difficult for large sellers to babysit when listings end. I have a hundred listings. I can track them. But if I had hundreds ending a day that would be some work. Escpecially if you need to end them one at a time. I'm not sure if you can end items in bulk. If I'm around I'll give it a try when the next batch are about to end.
Message 8 of 216
latest reply

Here in western northeastern Kentucky, some folks see basketball as a season as opposed to winter or spring. This happens to be the week for the sixteen regional tournaments; the winners of each go to the "Sweet Sixteen" state tournament.

A few years back, I cut my grass for the first time of the new year on the day of our local (10th) regional tournament final game.

Next Tuesday night/Wednesday morning our low is supposed to be 4.
Message 9 of 216
latest reply

Yep, Kyal.  M*M is sending one of her arctic blasts our way 😞  So much is blooming or beginning to bloom - forsythia, daffs, Bradford pears, cherry trees, etc - they will all be done in by the blast - so sad.  And yes M*M sn*w is a dirty word around here!  Even DH who was raised up north thinks so.

Sun, your listings are GTC because you use the quick listing form.  If you used Advanced, you could select the duration - but not anymore 😞  More loss of control grumble grumble.  Some of the blues report that sellers in their 'test' group were very pleased with it.  Hhhmm, wonder who made up the test group?  It will be a real surprise for those who do not read the updates or visit the boards.

For those of us who sell some long tail items such as glass and china, it could be expensive and you could easily go over you limit.  Something listed March 1 would renew March 31 and be charged in that month.  I frequently update pictures and titles on long tail items so will have to watch closely.

Patd

Message 10 of 216
latest reply

I was in a test group once. It was when they were changing board format from bad to worse or maybe it was worse back to bad. I hardly remember. What do remember is that they were not looking for input. It was a done deal and I believe they wanted "us" to be the "messengers" to bring the news back to our fellow boardies. Well, we all know what happens to the messenger. I tried to keep a positive outlook but that didn't go over well with "the sky is falling" crowd. LOL.

There was a time when I thought solidarity would make a difference if we stuck together and shouted loud enough. I was naïve. Now I try to look at it for what it is (beyond my control) and cope the best I can. So many things have changed over the years. Eventually we get used to it.
Message 11 of 216
latest reply

We've had a few warm days but I guess not enough for anything to bloom. This might be the first February in as long as I can remember that the forsythia didn't start to bud. We might actually get a decent bloom this spring. I haven't noticed anything poking its nose out of the ground yet.

Kyal, sorry you're expecting temps in the minus. I didn't realize it got that cold in KY.
Message 12 of 216
latest reply

Well, the temp is expected to drop to +4; but that's plenty cold enough for early March.

I've been here for 45 years, and twice the temperature has hit 24 below.
Message 13 of 216
latest reply

Hey all! I'm HOoooOooooome Just got in a bit ago from a hellish drive in the snow, with a few nice fluffy inches on the ground, but they had plowed not too long before that, thank GOD!

To work I drive about 12-14 miles to a 4 lane, then another 6 to job site.  It "seems" a lot further than that. 

Leaving work, the four lane was in worse shape than the 12 miles of 2 lane.  And of course someone had to pass me on the 4 lane, and a Sheriff was right behind him. 🙂

Saw another sheriff when I got into town, good to see them out and about.

Balmy 7 degrees tonight.  Seriously. When my car is baking at 80 degrees inside, I don't wear a jacket. 

I stopped into a kwik trip to get something to drink (and to 'think about' driving up a mile long hill and do the rest of the trip)..My girlfriend Cindy lives in this little town but I'd rather be home than knock on her door.

I go into the store and this girl says "Where's your coat?" Me: "In my car", I have boots and my Alaska down parka that I've had since 1977, huge mitts, fur hat.

I'm also wearing two layers of pants and shirts..

Anyway, freakin white knuckle drive with snow coming down, can't use the brights or you'll go crazy with snow coming at your eyeballs. Can't look away from the road for a second.

SO thankful to be home..

I asked a couple people in the store if they'd been on the road I was taking. No but this guy said there is less snow up on higher ground...(above this mile long hill).  I said "Would you take 42 up" and he said yes, just go slow! So that gave me some confidence.  

I get to the 42 turnoff and there are 3 GIGANTIC Overland Semi's that were just getting down to the bottom to get on the 4 lane, the 3rd one didn't even stop at the stop sign lol

"Carryin' the Mail" my x used to say. Rock and Roll boys!

Oh man. I don't know how often I can do that...I should have stayed at work til the snow stopped but nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hahaha

Just Thankful, Amen.

Message 14 of 216
latest reply

Next five days here will be -7, -12, -3, -2, -2....not bad. At least my bay window won't be dripping. That will be SOON... UGH.
I have got to have that investigated and "Fixed" asap!
I have no idea what KY weather is like in winter.
Sounds pretty chill!
Message 15 of 216
latest reply