cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam buyer opens a dispute on PayPal. They won the case, can I appeal?

I'm new to eBay and started selling not too long ago. I can across this buyer that immediately paid but requested to change the shipping address to a new one. Now, they opened a dispute on PayPal stating the payment was not authorized and won the case. Is there a way I can appeal to this case? I have proof of delivery and messages through eBay. This is so frustrating and I didn't know this was a scam. 

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

If you didnt send the item to his confirmed address, there is no appeal, you lost the case.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Tough luck on me, definitely need to watch out for suspicious activity next time. This is frustrating.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Im sorry, tough lesson..

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

If you had shipped to his confirmed address, and he claimed unauthorized transaction, all you had to do was provide the tracking number that it was shipped..or if it was a chargeback on his cc, that it was delivered to him.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@soulkollector wrote:

this buyer that immediately paid but requested to change the shipping address to a new one. Now, they opened a dispute on PayPal stating the payment was not authorized and won the case. Is there a way I can appeal to this case?

If you shipped to a different address, you lost what little seller protection we have as a seller.

Are you sure it was the buyer that wanted the address changed?

There's an old scam, where you sell an item and you get a message claiming to be the buyer and they made a mistake in the address, have to leave town for a sick friend and so on, and need to change the address.

Seller doesn't know they've been scammed until the real buyer wants to know where their item is or file a claim.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Yes buyer messaged me after immediate pay that they wanted the address changed. Used Covid-19 as an excuse for moving so they provided me with a new address. I have a screenshot of the messages. Also they said eBay wouldn't let them change the address. I should've stopped them at that point and issued a refund. I'm so mad at myself for believing it.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

SOMEBODY  at the address it was sent to is a scammer.  Who the homeowner or the current resident is shouldn't be hard to find.

I'd report the mail fraud to the USPS.  And maybe Cousin Vinny.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

This might be the solution here, will do!

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I hope this wasn't an expensive item.  Look, we have all made mistakes that cost us money when we were learning how to sell, so don't be too hard on yourself.

For something like this, you just need to remember for the future that no matter what a buyer tells you, you ONLY ship to the address on your payment notification.  As long as you do that, you will retain your seller protection on Ebay and PP.  

If a buyer wants you to ship to a different address.  You would need to cancel the transaction, refund the payment and then have them repurchase making sure they correct their ship to address.  It is the only way you can protect yourself.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

It was a Supreme item that I sold for $135.00. I paid $60 and sold for double, because you know Supreme has demand. I definitely learned a harsh lesson and will for sure be much more careful when selling or even buying. I did report to USPS for mail fraud and hopefully they can crack down on this, but I doubt they'll recover the item or consider it.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

I get buyers all the time who purchase then message me and tell me they made a mistake. The shipping address is an old one and can I change the address for shipping. If you change and ship to an address the customer did not enter during sale, you will not be covered. They way I usually handle it is to tell the customer that by Enay policy I can not change the address. But I can cancel the sale and they can repurchase the item and put in the correct address.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

I thought it was up to the buyer to make sure their account information was current and up to date.  If she shipped to the address listed on Ebay for them isn't she ok?  If a buyer asked me to send an item to a different address I would not do it.  They would need to go and add another address in the system first and do it before buying.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@needitlikea0inthehead wrote:

I thought it was up to the buyer to make sure their account information was current and up to date.  If she shipped to the address listed on Ebay for them isn't she ok?  If a buyer asked me to send an item to a different address I would not do it.  They would need to go and add another address in the system first and do it before buying.

@needitlikea0inthehead 

It has nothing to do with their account information.  Buyers have always had the ability to enter a ship to address different than it appears on their account information at the time of payment.  Sometimes a buyer simply forgets and the request to change the address is legit, but sellers have no way of knowing that.  So it is always best to cancel the transaction and let the buyer repurchase using the correct shipping address when submitting the payment.  The buyer does not need to add the address to their account unless they want to.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@soulkollector wrote:

It was a Supreme item that I sold for $135.00. I paid $60 and sold for double, because you know Supreme has demand. I definitely learned a harsh lesson and will for sure be much more careful when selling or even buying. I did report to USPS for mail fraud and hopefully they can crack down on this, but I doubt they'll recover the item or consider it.

That certainly is an amount that makes you go OUCH!  I'm very sorry about that.  I'm glad you reported the buyer.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply