cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam bidders wasting my time on ebay

My first attempt at selling a new laptop and I was suspended from ebay. I called ebay and they reinstated my account. For 2 weeks now I have had the winner and top 3 second chance bidding accounts be fraudulent. I emailed ebay with no response and it is upsetting when you wait not 1 week but 2 weeks and the time is wasted on fake accounts. This is disgusting and I believe I will no longer attempt to sell on ebay anymore with so many scammers not being vetted on this website. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I'll be blunt: you should not be selling that laptop online, here or anywhere else.  You are a scammer's dream with brand-new expensive electronics like that and next to no selling experience.  Sell it locally for cash only or you run the risk of being scammed no matter where you go.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Granted, selling a laptop here is a horrible idea, but how did you manage to get yourself suspended?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

You should learn the rules, polices and guidlines before you do anything. A 0 FB seller selling anything hightech is a scam magnet. There is no reason to wait for payment, simply open a non paying bidder after 48 hours, better yet, sell it immediate payment required with a BIN listing. This is only the first part of scam central your involved in, it gets better after you ship. Good Luck

😉

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@sellingthehousemaybethat2 wrote:

For 2 weeks now I have had the winner and top 3 second chance bidding accounts be fraudulent.
{snip}
This is disgusting and I believe I will no longer attempt to sell on ebay anymore with so many scammers not being vetted on this website. 

eBay has never vetted buyers, and never will. 

If you don't want to waste your time with non-paying bidders, list the item at fixed price with immediate payment required. 

That way, instead of the buyer wasting your time with non-payment, the buyer will waste your time and steal your laptop by returning a phone book and getting a refund  🙂

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@sellingthehousemaybethat2 Sorry you're having a rough go of it.

The above posters are correct that selling a high-value item, especially electronics, with little to no selling experience makes you a target for scammers.

The best option is to sell locally for cash. If you need to sell it online then I suggest getting a bunch of selling experience under your belt and building up a lot of Feedback as a seller before listing it.

When you do list, ship to US only (you need to apply settings not only on your listing, but in your site preferences as well). You should list as a fixed-price not auction, and select the box "immediate payment required". Make sure you're using the advanced listing tool & not the quick tool to set your listing preferences for high value items.

When the item sells, go directly to paypal.com to confirm your funds are there. Do not click on links within e-mails and do not fall for an e-mail saying payment is sent when it hasn't bee as those are spoofs often sent to new sellers by the scammers. Always log directly in to eBay and PayPal to confirm sales and funds.

Best of luck and if you have questions please come back and ask for help.

I'll add in that I am also curious why your account was suspended the first time you sold the laptop. Did you cancel the sale? I wonder if a seller-initiated defect will suspend an account that has almost no selling history...

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I have been extremely successful selling electronics and high-dollar items here.

I have a few tips, and I stick to them:

I stick to highly desired items, like Patek-Phillipe watches, Laptops, vintage coins, coach handbags, plutonium etc.  I won't waste time with the cheapie stuff.

I have blocked USA. I sell ONLY to the following countries:  Nigeria, Romania, Uzbek Republic, Yemen, Italy and France. These buyers are Tip-Top !!!

For payment, I prefer Nigerian Municpal Bonds,  IOU's,  Rupee,  and dried scorpions. I do accept really blurry Money Orders too.

In addition, Social networking is a key. I have thousands of potential customers friend me on those sites. Most are from Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Sandlandistan, Mauritania, Romania and Kolombangara.

I accept texts and tweets 24/7   365.  That's how I roll

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@campesinoplastic2014 wrote:

I stick to highly desired items, like Patek-Phillipe watches, Laptops, vintage coins, coach handbags, plutonium etc.  I won't waste time with the cheapie stuff.

EXCELLENT! I could use some for my DeLorean out back. 😉

Message 8 of 8
latest reply