cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same problem as last year... ebay not honoring our handling times

With the increased sales volume, I recently changed my handling time to 3 business days from 11/28 - 12/3.

A buyer purchased upgraded Priority Mail on 12/1. Luckily I shipped it on 12/2... one day handling. But ebay is showing the buyer an ETA of 12/6 (today) and buyer is peeved that they don't have the item yet.

If you do the math, the ETA ebay gave the buyer is 3 business days after purchase! How can the ETA be on the exact same day as the last handling day?? Ebay is giving the package ZERO DAYS shipping time.

I know what some of you are going to say about this though... so again, what's the point of ebay letting sellers set a handling time at all?!

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

All I can say is, are you really that surprised ? I mean really ?

Good luck with it all

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

I have a 2 day handling time. 

All of my listings say "Will arrive by Christmas".

I wonder up until when will it say that? Two days before xmas?   LOL

Strange Way - Firefall
Message 3 of 23
latest reply

I've long known that the day you print the label, your handling time is over. As soon as you print it, eBay signals the buyer the item is on the way and then eBay tells the buyer the magic expected arrival date. 

I'm not saying that it makes sense or agree with it. It is really dumb. I think this sets sellers up to deal with angry buyers. I think this will also contribute to more buyers leaving in frustration (more sellers too). If they wanted to tell buyers a date, it should be a RANGE of time. The post office has already said to expect delays and eBay isn't giving any flexibility when delivery should be expected. FedEx is also doing a terrible job. I don't know why anyone is even using FedEx anymore. 

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

ETA means Estimated time of arrival not Exact time of arrival. The problem is with the understanding of "estimated" and buyers who think that means actual delivery date. 

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

The ETA SHOULD be calculated based on our handling times, but I have noticed too that some of mine are estimated to be delivered in a few days when I have 2 day handing. Then when they don't get it, they can open an INR case the very next day. It makes no sense. Add to that buyers who do not understand what estimated means and it causes all kinds of unhappy buyers. 

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

@farmalljr wrote:

I've long known that the day you print the label, your handling time is over. As soon as you print it, eBay signals the buyer the item is on the way and then eBay tells the buyer the magic expected arrival date. 

Is that how they work it ? That is stupid because if a seller send's earlier it should benefit the seller.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 7 of 23
latest reply

So when I look at listings I always see a range..........

Estimated delivery Thu, Dec 9 - Tue, Dec 14

Checking a purchase I just made yesterday........(lst class)

Estimated delivery Thu, Dec 9 - Tue, Dec 14

When I check order details: 

Arriving by Tue, Dec 14, 2021

I wonder how/where they are getting the fast delivery dates........

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

I have 5 handling days. Items sold this weekend show I need to ship by the 10th; which is Friday, which is correct. But..

if I click the order number, it shows what the buyer was 'shown' as an estimated delivery. It states, from NV to KY them receiving 12/11 to 12/13. That is the 'next day' after shipping to the 2nd day after shipping.

This item shows and goes 1st Class (2-7 business days per USPS from long ago)

So, if I ship this Friday, they are not getting a 1st Class Package on Saturday or Monday. 

Luckily, I usually ship on the 2nd day and so far, no issues.

This has been going on for years with our products, and even worse when they did away with the Gold Arrow showing 5 Handling Days (we build to order)

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

With the increased sales volume, I recently changed my handling time to 3 business days from 11/28 - 12/3.

@bigdeals.etc 

You handling time is only one factor, and likely the least important influence on the delivery estimate.  For the most part, if you ship the same or next day THAT  behavior will influence what is posted for the buyer.  Carrier delays likely play no part.  The unrealistic times, are likely posted as an incentive for the buyer to purchase, and also part of the reason why the handling times are no longer displayed on a listing. 

By extending your handling time, however, it will protect you from metric dings for such things as 'not uploading tracking ontime' or 'getting scans before your handling time expires'.   For a while there, eBay was issuing some sort of " cash coupons" to buyers when the last estimated date did not produce a parcel.  Buyers were watching the tracking very closely.  I don't think eBay provides those anymore. 

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Same problem here, and I'm sure for everyone else. ebay ignores shipping policies completely, lies to customers on every order. This has been the case for me anyway. Handling times and methods of shipping are ignored.

I've contacted ebay multiple times regarding this issue over the last 2 years, they've done nothing to fix it.

I have issues with buyers often complaining about estimated delivery dates as well. Then they leave negatives. Then I have to remind ebay they caused this mess and demand they remove it. Its a pain to have to call and demand this garbage get removed every time ebay lies to another customer.

I have my listings set to 3 day handling times right now, and ebay will give buyers half way across the country estimates of just 4 or 5 days total. ebay is literally trying to strong arm sellers into shipping the same day, they dont care how it effects us either.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Actually, ebay gives buyers an estimated delivery date the moment they buy something. You can see the estimated delivery dates shown to buyers thru each transaction on your orders page.

Even if you ship on the last day of your stated handling time, it doesn't change the estimated date of delivery shown to buyers.

ebay doesn't care either, there is nothing sellers can do to fix this, totally out of our control.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

It says its an estimate, but in reality its not. Its actually a guaranteed delivery date. If buyers don't receive their purchase by the estimated delivery date, ebay then allows them to open item not received cases. Many buyers exploit ebay's ridiculous shipping estimates to rip off sellers.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

It’s especially bad when a buyer messages you demanding a refund or return label because the item was supposed to be delivered two days ago. With no way to explain that the shipping timeframes are just an estimate. How many buyers open up NAD’s for not receiving an item by the time they wanted it? This place never improves the most basic elements. 

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Unfortunately, that is not entirely true.  I have a two day handling time for all my listings with standard delivery.  Before I print my label I look at the estimated arrival time that eBay gave the buyer.  For example, an item that sold on  Thanksgiving day was showing my buyer a delivery date for Tuesday, Nov. 30.  Note that it had to travel from California to Georgia via First Class Mail.  According to my stated handling time I didn't even have to post my package until Monday.

As inaccurate delivery dates has been an ongoing problem for quite some time when I print my shipping labels I send a message to all my buyers advising them of possible delivery delays due to the high mail volume.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply