cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return for a Refund... advice needed on FB follow up...

so if it wasn't for Ebay (her words) she would have left a Neutral without contacting me.

all my listings say 30 days return.

this buyer has 700FB to her name.

she should know how things work, meaning filing a SNAD.

she collects such items and seems to be a "serious" collector as per her "me" page (she does shows etc...).

i replied and did not argue the issue (NOT an acknowledgement of guilt);

Return for a Refund.

25 years in the hospitality business.

the rule was;

the customer is never wrong, kill them with kindness.

i apply the same rule on ebay.

just saddened at the fact she would have left a Neutral without even contacting me.

i am a busy online buyer and would never do this to a seller.

i almost thought this transaction would end up in a "unpaid" item case.

she took close to 3+ days to pay.

got the email not long ago.

no answer so far.

wonder is this is a "subtle" partial refund request?

i mean it would be "much" easier to tell her to keep the item.

well too late for now till i hear from her.

it is a cheap item.

not thrilled about having to pay for return shipping.

i understand why other sellers cave into partial refunds or just let buyers keep the items.

99.99% of my buyers have no issue with my products.

you tell yourself 1 bad comment and it might open the flood "gates".

so why bother with the other 0.01%?

almost feel like that is what i should have done and be done with it.

but i can't.

that's making it too easy to get free merchandise.

coincidence.

just cleared my BBL yesterday.

had not added 1 user in years.

had so many names along with "deleted".

well this seller is the first on my "new" list.

1 question.

for now i am waiting.

but for later.

what am i allowed to say in FB follow up?

can i leave a follow up on the FB I already left?

i know it has to be related to the transaction.

i want to say something that is going to stick and not be removed.

i know what to say if she leaves a Neutral;

Offered full refund... blah blah blah...

thanks for any advice on this.

letoulousain
Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Return for a Refund... advice needed on FB follow up...

@mistressmine wrote:
Dont poke sleeping bears...

that is usually what i think.

just wanted to be certain in my decision.

letoulousain
Message 16 of 39
latest reply

@lemarcheaupuces wrote:

@mistressmine wrote:

that is usually what i think.

just wanted to be certain in my decision.

Right; stay certain. You have put the ball back in her court; there's no need to keep hammering it there. She may want to just slink off and forget the whole thing, so don't give her the sense that you're chasing her.

Message 17 of 39
latest reply

Reply:

Dear buyer,

I'm terribly sorry that you have an issue with the doll.

Please return the piece for a full refund.

Best reagrds,

Seller

Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Feedback is a fact of life - we get it all during our life, whether we want it or not.  One can take exception to it or one can put it aside and move on - depending on the situation and importance.  (Leaving return fedback is optional)  Importance of this, on a scale of 1-10 - maybe 3.

(personal opinion only - your mileage may vary)

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 18 of 39
latest reply

I actually like this better than those buyers whose only communication with the seller is a negative.  I also like it better than the time when if you hadnt left feedback within a few days, you got a message that said "You havent left feedback for this transaction - would you like to open a dispute?" WHAT? from havent had time to leave feedback to file a dispute in 3 seconds flat!  Jeesh.

Message 19 of 39
latest reply

Definitely leave it alone.  If she is unhappy enough, she will let you know and return. 

If a buyer contacts me and mentions feedback, I never ever address that when I respond.  There is no rule they have to contact a seller before leaving it, and frankly, I'd rather they don't if all they are doing is hinting at a refund of some kind and actually want to keep the item. 

I always felt feedback was often used to blackmail sellers, so was really happy when it stopped counting against us for evaluations.

Follow-ups, if you even do one, are tricky and need to only show what you are like to deal with to future buyers.

Message 20 of 39
latest reply

@mistressmine wrote:

Ditto!

Message 21 of 39
latest reply

@rixstuff wrote:

I actually like this better than those buyers whose only communication with the seller is a negative.  I also like it better than the time when if you hadnt left feedback within a few days, you got a message that said "You havent left feedback for this transaction - would you like to open a dispute?" WHAT? from havent had time to leave feedback to file a dispute in 3 seconds flat!  Jeesh.

i leave FB asa i get paid.

i leave FB asa i receive an item.

i can tell you that most time i am faster at leaving FB than my "Sellers".

i can even say that 50% (easy) of my "Sellers" don't leave FB until i leave it first.

(makes no sense to me).

letoulousain
Message 22 of 39
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

Definitely leave it alone.  If she is unhappy enough, she will let you know and return. 

If a buyer contacts me and mentions feedback, I never ever address that when I respond.  There is no rule they have to contact a seller before leaving it, and frankly, I'd rather they don't if all they are doing is hinting at a refund of some kind and actually want to keep the item. 

I always felt feedback was often used to blackmail sellers, so was really happy when it stopped counting against us for evaluations.

Follow-ups, if you even do one, are tricky and need to only show what you are like to deal with to future buyers.

got it...

i just wanted to confirm my original reaction which was;

"don't poke the bear".

i replied to her in a timely manner offering a full refund (prior to posting my thread).

like another poster said; the ball is in her court.

by the way, in my reply; 

i didn't mention her reference to the "neutral" she made.

but i disagree on contacting a seller.

well i know that buyers are NOT required to contact me first.

that was not what i meant.

i rather have a buyer contact me first if unhappy than just leave a Neutral or Neg.

clearly it was my buyer's first reaction.

she says so in the msg ,  i quoted.

until ebay "suggested" her (using the right word this time) to contact me.

of course as long as they are willing to return and not some sort of blackmail.

she is a seller and a buyer on the same user name.

she is hardly a novice.

what is the point to have a 30 days return policy otherwise?

the change in FB, counting or not has never affected me much.

in 20 years of selling online, i can count on 1 hand how many buyers  have used FB to extort me.

and when i say 1 hand it was probably not more that 3 instances i can remember of.

as for follow up i will be forced to make one if i get a neutral or worse.

i have to let other "potential buyers"  know, that i offered a full refund.

thanks to all for your help.

i will leave it alone for now.

letoulousain
Message 23 of 39
latest reply

IMO, you are stressing about something that doesn't deserve the emotional energy you're expending. I agree that her go-to method of dealing with the issue was not what I would personally choose or advocate, but unfortunately, some buyers just don't know they SHOULD contact the seller if there is an issue.

It's irritating that her first thought was to leave neutral feedback, but I think you may be reading way too much into her actions and motivation, especially since she hasn't yet responded to your reply. Just try to let it go and worry about it IF and WHEN it happens.

Belle
Message 24 of 39
latest reply

@lemarcheaupuces wrote:

i also looked at the pics of the items.

it is a little girl sitting with cross legs.

i am 100% sure that the bump she is talking about is meant to be to tip of the foot sticking out from under the other leg.

Have you actually told her this?  If so, then she probably checked again and determined you were right, but was too embarrassed to come back and apologize.

And if you didn't, then perhaps she figured this out on her own, but was too embarrassed to come back and apologize.

Otherwise, if you didn't tell her this and she does come back, then that would be the ideal moment to reveal this.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 25 of 39
latest reply

@nowthatsjustducky wrote:

@lemarcheaupuces wrote:

i also looked at the pics of the items.

it is a little girl sitting with cross legs.

i am 100% sure that the bump she is talking about is meant to be to tip of the foot sticking out from under the other leg.

Have you actually told her this?  If so, then she probably checked again and determined you were right, but was too embarrassed to come back and apologize.

And if you didn't, then perhaps she figured this out on her own, but was too embarrassed to come back and apologize.

Otherwise, if you didn't tell her this and she does come back, then that would be the ideal moment to reveal this.

no i didn't.

have had very few issues along the years.

my rule is to never argue with a customer.

might appear as if on the defensive which is not a good thing i think.

but is she contacts me again (since i offered a refund), i might suggest to her my opinion.

letoulousain
Message 26 of 39
latest reply

@southernfriedbelle wrote:

IMO, you are stressing about something that doesn't deserve the emotional energy you're expending. I agree that her go-to method of dealing with the issue was not what I would personally choose or advocate, but unfortunately, some buyers just don't know they SHOULD contact the seller if there is an issue.

It's irritating that her first thought was to leave neutral feedback, but I think you may be reading way too much into her actions and motivation, especially since she hasn't yet responded to your reply. Just try to let it go and worry about it IF and WHEN it happens.

thanks Doc....

letoulousain
Message 27 of 39
latest reply

just saddened at the fact she would have left a Neutral without even contacting me.

Assuming the piece was Not As Described, and wasn't worth the effort to return, all she got out of contacting you was an extra hassle, and the customary eBay seller paranoia.  She probably regrets taking eBay's advice; she should have just left the neutral and moved on.

If you're lucky, she's just moved on now, and maybe won't leave feedback at all.

Message 28 of 39
latest reply

50% of your sellers are probably "old school" sellers.  For years, until 2008, Ebay procedure, encouraged by Ebay, was that the buyer indicated satisfaction with the transaction by posting feedback, and THEN the seller posts as the buyer has indicated the transaction is over.  Seller then posts their impression of the transaction, as this was true feedback.

Now feedback is just a thank you, and Ebay suggests that it be posted after payment.  

Message 29 of 39
latest reply

Pretty much every buyer that leaves me less than positive, NEVER contacted me.

It really should be a requirement of eBay that a buyer actually sends a message.

I correct every transaction, even if I know the buyer is wrong.  It's the way it is.  I'd rather lose some $$ refunding, or sending another item, then getting bad feedback.

I too try to leave follow up feedback to feedback I receive, mostly stating, CONTACT ME, so other buyers know if they have an issue to actually contact me.

Message 30 of 39
latest reply