cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return for a Refund... advice needed on FB follow up...

so if it wasn't for Ebay (her words) she would have left a Neutral without contacting me.

all my listings say 30 days return.

this buyer has 700FB to her name.

she should know how things work, meaning filing a SNAD.

she collects such items and seems to be a "serious" collector as per her "me" page (she does shows etc...).

i replied and did not argue the issue (NOT an acknowledgement of guilt);

Return for a Refund.

25 years in the hospitality business.

the rule was;

the customer is never wrong, kill them with kindness.

i apply the same rule on ebay.

just saddened at the fact she would have left a Neutral without even contacting me.

i am a busy online buyer and would never do this to a seller.

i almost thought this transaction would end up in a "unpaid" item case.

she took close to 3+ days to pay.

got the email not long ago.

no answer so far.

wonder is this is a "subtle" partial refund request?

i mean it would be "much" easier to tell her to keep the item.

well too late for now till i hear from her.

it is a cheap item.

not thrilled about having to pay for return shipping.

i understand why other sellers cave into partial refunds or just let buyers keep the items.

99.99% of my buyers have no issue with my products.

you tell yourself 1 bad comment and it might open the flood "gates".

so why bother with the other 0.01%?

almost feel like that is what i should have done and be done with it.

but i can't.

that's making it too easy to get free merchandise.

coincidence.

just cleared my BBL yesterday.

had not added 1 user in years.

had so many names along with "deleted".

well this seller is the first on my "new" list.

1 question.

for now i am waiting.

but for later.

what am i allowed to say in FB follow up?

can i leave a follow up on the FB I already left?

i know it has to be related to the transaction.

i want to say something that is going to stick and not be removed.

i know what to say if she leaves a Neutral;

Offered full refund... blah blah blah...

thanks for any advice on this.

letoulousain
Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Return for a Refund... advice needed on FB follow up...

I've bought over 10K items on Ebay and never filed a SNAD so I don't really know how they work. It's not unexpected for someone with only 700 items not to know how it works.

What kind of feedback are you expecting to leave? It sounds possibly like you missed something or underdescribed it. Why do you need to leave anything on her profile? You are allowed to soil your own profile as long as it follows the rules (no profanity, personal info, etc) but you may not leave anything negative on hers even if it is true. Even in a follow up, negative comments for buyers are liable for removal, you will get a selling violation and we've seen sellers lose their selling privileges for doing so.

You're getting all het up about her leaving a neutral when she didn't actually do it? This is a business transaction and it sounds like you're making it way too personal.

Return for refund. Rinse and repeat.

Just as a follow up comment, "serious" collectors are usually picky. I don't see anything wrong or offensive with her making a big deal out of something you didn't think was.

Message 2 of 39
latest reply

My bet is you get back something to the effect of "it's too much trouble to pack it up and return it, I want a full refund".  Not a partial, a full refund without returning the item (doll?) She is basically threatening to give you a neutral if she doesn't get to keep it for free. 

I'm stubborn about that - gave in once to a partial refund scammer and have vowed to never do it again, ever.  I would repeat the offer for a full refund upon return, suggest that she open a case in the Resolution center so that you can send her a pre-paid return postage label, and repeat that again as many times as necessary. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 3 of 39
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

I've bought over 10K items on Ebay and never filed a SNAD so I don't really know how they work. It's not unexpected for someone with only 700 items not to know how it works.

What kind of feedback are you expecting to leave? It sounds possibly like you missed something or underdescribed it. Why do you need to leave anything on her profile? You are allowed to soil your own profile as long as it follows the rules (no profanity, personal info, etc) but you may not leave anything negative on hers even if it is true. Even in a follow up, negative comments for buyers are liable for removal, you will get a selling violation and we've seen sellers lose their selling privileges for doing so.

You're getting all het up about her leaving a neutral when she didn't actually do it? This is a business transaction and it sounds like you're making it way too personal.

Return for refund. Rinse and repeat.

Just as a follow up comment, "serious" collectors are usually picky. I don't see anything wrong or offensive with her making a big deal out of something you didn't think was.

the only issue i have is that she clearly said she was going to leave a Neutral with NO prior contact.

the only reason why she didn't do it, is because ebay stopped her and told her to contact me.

i offer 30 days return.

she asked a question through the item/ebay.

i am sure the "return" option was there too?

her msg makes NO mention of wanting to return.

sounds like you have already decided i was guilty.

just for the record i have NOT missed anything.

but that is irrelevant.

1 sells on ebay 1 takes returns.

it is not my place to argue with her.

1's perception of an item is going to be different from another.

it is also NOT an acknowlegment of guilt.

this is why i offer buyers 30 days to return an item.

i stand by my products.

i have no intention to "soil" her profile.

why would you even think that of me?

does my FB profile show a history of mis-describing my products or soiling buyer's profiles?

i said in my OP, i was waiting for now.

meaning, i want to see what transpires?

if the buyer returns the item.

then NO problem.

if this buyer had made a simple "return" request, i wouldn't be posting here.

she did not.

she made her original clear in her email to me.

seems ebay had my back for now.

i am a little ticked off by her handling of this situation.

that's all.

letoulousain
Message 4 of 39
latest reply

@myboardid wrote:

My bet is you get back something to the effect of "it's too much trouble to pack it up and return it, I want a full refund".  Not a partial, a full refund without returning the item (doll?) She is basically threatening to give you a neutral if she doesn't get to keep it for free. 

I'm stubborn about that - gave in once to a partial refund scammer and have vowed to never do it again, ever.  I would repeat the offer for a full refund upon return, suggest that she open a case in the Resolution center so that you can send her a pre-paid return postage label, and repeat that again as many times as necessary. 

that is what i told her to do.

mentioned in my OP;

told her to return for a refund and open a case with Ebay.

so far no reply.

again depending on what transpires, i intend to do a FB follow up.

if she returns the item, then NO need.

is this turns into a partial refund situation, you bet i want to let others know.

i know what to answer in a FB received;

offered full refund... etc...

but what can i say as a follow up to the FB i left that will NOT count as a violation?

letoulousain
Message 5 of 39
latest reply

I agree with your advice. I recently had a buyer who emails about item having a stain. I felt like from the beginning she was being very careful with her words. Absolutely no problem. I say open a case, get a prepaid label, return, refund immediately after I receive.

No thats not going to work because she wants item. So I search the USA find the itemm have it mailed to me and I tell her again and again open a case, I will replace, blah blah blah. or can still return. No she wants to keep the stained item. She knew what she was doing tho. She is a seller also and knew that if she opened a case and didnt return she could not leave feedback and/or it could be removed. So she was basically fishing for a refund and keep the product. I never mentioned that in any way and kept saying to please return and I will refund. I did not refund and she left negative. I wear it proudly knowing I did NOT give in to a scammer.

Also she has done this to other sellers she purchased from and hopefully at some point ebay will catch it and take care of her. maybe...

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

@lemarcheaupuces wrote:

@myboardid wrote:

mentioned in my OP;

so far no reply.

is this turns into a partial refund situation, you bet i want to let others know.

but what can i say as a follow up to the FB i left that will NOT count as a violation?

I totally agree with @myboardid

And I would be very careful when leaving any follow up FB since the buyer can then add a follow up to yours.

Which can make your FB page look not so good.

That much back and forth stands out, one netural by itself is not that horrible.

Message 7 of 39
latest reply

"the only reason she didn't do it is because ebay stopped her".  Ebay didn't stop her~~they made the suggestion that before leaving the neutral she had the OPTION to contact you 1st~~she did just that.  It was an option.  IF she was truly out to "get you" she would have just proceeded to leave the neutral OR maybe even left a neg..  She probably hasn't had enough unsatisfactory dealings to know she should contact a seller 1st.  Shee heeded ebays "suggestion" and probably learned something~~to contact a seller 1st before leaving feedback.  MANY buyers will leave the feedback with no contact IF you have a no return policy.  I haven't looked to see what your return policy is.

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

@pooh333piglet wrote:

I agree with your advice. I recently had a buyer who emails about item having a stain. I felt like from the beginning she was being very careful with her words. Absolutely no problem. I say open a case, get a prepaid label, return, refund immediately after I receive.

No thats not going to work because she wants item. So I search the USA find the itemm have it mailed to me and I tell her again and again open a case, I will replace, blah blah blah. or can still return. No she wants to keep the stained item. She knew what she was doing tho. She is a seller also and knew that if she opened a case and didnt return she could not leave feedback and/or it could be removed. So she was basically fishing for a refund and keep the product. I never mentioned that in any way and kept saying to please return and I will refund. I did not refund and she left negative. I wear it proudly knowing I did NOT give in to a scammer.

Also she has done this to other sellers she purchased from and hopefully at some point ebay will catch it and take care of her. maybe...

and that is what i will do.

still waiting for a reply.

no matter what transpires will keep telling her to open a case with Ebay.

if unhappy i see no reason why my buyer couldn't just ask to return the item?

she is a busy buyer.

i am too.

Ebay tells you often enough that your purchases are covered.

but her first intention was to leave a Neutral until ebay stopped her.

regardless, i was very courteous.

i didn't bring up or argue the issue.

i apologize about any inconvenience.

(again this is NOT an acknowledgment of guilt. just good customer service).

let's hope it will end in a simple return with no Neutral.

letoulousain
Message 9 of 39
latest reply

@starroute-us wrote:

@lemarcheaupuces wrote:

@myboardid wrote:

mentioned in my OP;

so far no reply.

I totally agree with @myboardid

And I would be very careful when leaving any follow up FB since the buyer can then add a follow up to yours.

Which can make your FB page look not so good.

That much back and forth stands out, one netural by itself is not that horrible.

well was thinking in the line of;

"offered full refund... etc...".

would saying "no partial refund" be that bad?

is that even allowed?

i am anticipating of course.

but the buyer didn't request a return.

she is just contacting me because she claims ebay told her to.

so it makes me wonder.

letoulousain
Message 10 of 39
latest reply

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She wasn't stopped by ebay, she simply followed ebay's suggestion.

Many buyers ignore ebay's suggestion and leave the intended neut or neg.

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

@kattinsanity wrote:

"the only reason she didn't do it is because ebay stopped her".  Ebay didn't stop her~~they made the suggestion that before leaving the neutral she had the OPTION to contact you 1st~~she did just that.  It was an option.  IF she was truly out to "get you" she would have just proceeded to leave the neutral OR maybe even left a neg..  She probably hasn't had enough unsatisfactory dealings to know she should contact a seller 1st.  Shee heeded ebays "suggestion" and probably learned something~~to contact a seller 1st before leaving feedback.  MANY buyers will leave the feedback with no contact IF you have a no return policy.  I haven't looked to see what your return policy is.

said it many times on this thread;

my return policy is 30 days.

this buyer is also a seller on the same user name.

with 700+FB, she is hardly a novice.

i have bought thousands of items (online) since the late 1990s.

had few unsatisfactory experiences.

my first thought was always to contact a seller.

her first thought wasn't.

i will know soon or later what transpires.

can't wait...

again my reply to her (prior to posting here) was;

open a case with Ebay and return for a refund.

i was polite, didn't not argue her issue and apologized for any inconvenience.

letoulousain
Message 12 of 39
latest reply

@*madison wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She wasn't stopped by ebay, she simply followed ebay's suggestion.

Many buyers ignore ebay's suggestion and leave the intended neut or neg.

used the wrong word i guess. my mistake.

the prior poster mentioned that.

letoulousain
Message 13 of 39
latest reply

well going on 2 days...

have not heard from the buyer.

i have offered "full refund".

have told her to open a case with Ebay...

the msg is in my Ebay sent box.

so i know it went through.

since then nothing.

should i msg again (through ebay) or leave it alone?

i also looked at the pics of the items.

it is a little girl sitting with cross legs.

i am 100% sure that the bump she is talking about is meant to be to tip of the foot sticking out from under the other leg.

these were not meant to be "art" pottery pieces.

it is a "cute" figurine (seem to be quite popular on ebay... there is a whole series of them),

but the details are sketchy, they are rather poorly/cheaply made.

which is irrelevant of course.

regardless of the reason, i will "always" accept a return (even "remorse").

fighting a return in my book, is futile.

so leave it alone or email again?

worried she missed my msg.

thanks again.

letoulousain
Message 14 of 39
latest reply

Dont poke sleeping bears...
Message 15 of 39
latest reply