cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about selling "mystery boxes"

I've seen mixed posts regarding this topic, whether it is allowed or not allowed. I still see people selling them, and selling a mystery box was something I wanted to try. 

Is this allowed under circumstances? And if so, what are the circumstances to sell a mystery box?

Thanks in advance!

You can't master your life, but you can master each day. And you can do that every single day.
Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Oddly enough it's NOT allowed unless you disclose the contents..

Kind of negates the mystery doesn't it? 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

That's weird in another area because the mystery boxes that I see people selling don't mention anything that is in the box whatsoever.

You can't master your life, but you can master each day. And you can do that every single day.
Message 3 of 24
latest reply

What are the guidelines?

Restricted

Bonus items are allowed as long as you follow these rules:

• Don’t set any conditions that must be met before the bonus applies

• Offer the exact same bonus item to all buyers in multiple item listings

• Bonuses, free gifts, and other items that don't significantly affect the value of the item may not be included in the listing title

Grab bags can be listed as long as you follow these rules:

• Identify all contents; the number, quality, or condition of each item doesn't need to be identified

• Don't single out anything that "may" be included with significant monetary or collectible value

"Box breaks" or similar trading card listings are allowed as long as you follow these rules:

• Don't call out a chance to win a specific card of significant monetary or collectible value

• You must offer a full refund if the box doesn't contain the certain team or player the buyer purchased.

Not allowed

Examples of listings that are not allowed:

• Mystery items where contents aren't identified

• An opportunity to win an item by chance or skill

• Giveaways, lotteries, sweepstakes, random drawings, raffles, or contests

So I guess if you identify the contents - you can offer the mystery box.  (I.E. Trading Cards, 100 ct or misc silverware etc.)

@cotylthomas wrote:

I've seen mixed posts regarding this topic, whether it is allowed or not allowed. I still see people selling them, and selling a mystery box was something I wanted to try. 

Is this allowed under circumstances? And if so, what are the circumstances to sell a mystery box?

Thanks in advance!

Save

Save

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-bonus-prize-giveaway-raffle.html

Sheesh took me forever to find that bugger lol

I see a sage member already pasted it for ya.. Good on ya Cargo.. 

CHEERS

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Just means the bots haven't caught them yet

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Yea, even though the exclusions seem to be very detailed... it still leaves wiggle room and there are still many who have been listing and selling for years that seem to ignore these rules and laughing all the way to the bank.

Still, you have to weigh your willingness to risk your rating/selling ability against what you understand.  IMO, the "grab bags" offer the most opportunity. 

Just thinking,  what if you list Mystery Box - garage hand tools and misc kitchen hand tools and some hair ties.   Would that do it?  Seems it would as the rules read.

Or you could say, "huge lot estate sale large assortment of household items, coins, jewelry, watches".....  see the grey area there?.....

The thing is, you can't sell junk. The point is to build customers and get high ratings and have them coming back for more.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Just curious. If it was allowed just what do you plan on putting in these so called mystery boxes ?

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Why bother trying to figure out if "mystery boxes" are permitted?  They're losers - they don't sell worth a **bleep**.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

@technologyprodigy wrote:

You are ONLY allowed for THIS instance -->>>

"Grab bags can be listed as long as you follow these rules:

• Identify all contents; the number, quality, or condition of each item doesn't need to be identified

• Don't single out anything that "may" be included with significant monetary or collectible value"

If you see eBay listings violating the policy, then report them.

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

@renegade-chance wrote:

@technologyprodigy wrote:

You are ONLY allowed for THIS instance -->>>

"Grab bags can be listed as long as you follow these rules:

• Don't single out anything that "may" be included with significant monetary or collectible value"

If you see eBay listings violating the policy, then report them.

I must admit I'm rather surprised by the "number, quality, or condition of each item doesn't need to be identified"

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

• I must admit I'm rather surprised by the "number, quality, or condition of each item doesn't need to be identified"

WHY...?

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Sorry, mystery boxes have not been allowed for AGES.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Mystery Boxes and Grab Bags fall under the "Chance Listings" policy.

https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-bonus-prize-giveaway-raffle.html

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

I'm wondering the same thing myself.  That doesn't seem right.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply