cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about buyers

I had a buyer contact me yesterday regarding one of my listings. He told me to change my listing so he could bid on it. Of course I did not do that. I didn’t even ask why. Then he asked to call me and I said no. Well he won the bid. And he paid promptly. he kept giving me messages on my other listings and I had about four or five messages at a time with different topics and I was getting confused. so I told him that I will send what he won and if he wants any other products that he can bid on those options as well. He asked me to sell off of eBay, which I would not do. This morning I woke up to a message where he was Cursing at me and yelling at me about how I’m complaining. He sounds very unhinged and I was wondering am I obligated to send this order out because he paid? I just wanna avoid further problems down the road with this fella. But I’m not sure that his behavior other than asking to work off of eBay  Call me was out of line. Since he paid Wood, I have to return the money then cancel the order then block him? 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Question about buyers

If it were me...I would cancel the order (this will automatically refund his money) and ban him.    However, you should be aware that you will get a "defect" on your account if you cancel using reason "out of stock" and also this person can still leave you negative feedback.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

I called eBay and they said I should block him, cancel and this way I won’t get any defects. Idk the choices but she said. Hose one that says something about the buyer. 

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

I would report him for trying to complete an transaction off eBay, which is a violation of eBay's policies. 

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

You has an automated system and you will get a "defect" if your reason for cancelling is "out of stock".    However, if you cancel using reason "bad address or buyer asked to cancel" (you do NOT get a defect).

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Cancel using one of the "buyer" reasons like caldreamer said above ^ 
And block him of course. 

AND report him.  This will help you get negative feedback removed, if he gives it. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/rules-policies-buyers/abusive-buyer-policy?id=4374&st=3&pos=3&que...

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

In the future, don't hesitate to block a buyer right up front when he asks you to change a listing or wants to call you, and especially when he wants you to take the sale off of eBay. Don't even respond to any messages when common sense alarm bells go off in your head. Since this "buyer" hadn't even bid on the item when the bad requests started coming in, that's when he should have been blocked without starting a dialog with him.

The idea is to block before a questionable buyer has a chance to bid or enter into a transaction. There will always be another buyer without the hassles.

Cheers, Duffy 

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@jennaboyer wrote:

I called eBay and they said I should block him, cancel and this way I won’t get any defects. Idk the choices but she said. Hose one that says something about the buyer. 

I'm sorry but they gave you bad information.  What the CSR was telling you to do was pick a reason that is a buyer reason, which is something you should NOT do as it is misusing the cancellation system and it could get you in trouble.  It will avoid the defect.

Keep in mind that if you do this, your buyer is likely to leave you negative feedback, so prepare mentally for that as it is pretty shocking to your system when you see that.  But with the way they have been acting so far with you, I think there is a high chance they will do this. 

You may or may not be able to get it removed.  It is all going to depend on what they say.  But if this happens, come back here before you do anything.  Let us help you through trying to get it off your account.

Even if you were to ship the item to them I don't think this buyer is going to play fair and would likely hit your feedback anyway.  So I agree with the others that you should cancel the transaction and just do the best you can with things.

Now blocking the buyer is excellent advice too, just keep in mind the buyer can still contact you because you have a current transaction with them.

As to those emails that were insulting, cursing or abusive in any way.  Report those to Ebay.  There is a spot on the email where you can report it to Ebay.  If you don't find it, just ask and we will help.

Best of luck to you !!!! 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Canceling for any reason besides out of stock/damaged is cancellation abuse.

You could use another option IF they were blocked prior to purchase. Then the buyer would have been blocked and bypass block list is a violation of policy.

If you do misuse the cancellation system, note that if they complain to eBay you could have worse ramifications than gaining a single out of stock defect.

Since this buyer seems very vocal, I could see them running to eBay.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@jennaboyer 

You can report any/all inappropriate eBay messages directly on the message itself.  It is found under the ACTION tab.  eBay does not take kindly to buyers who 'want to take the transaction off eBay', or asking to exchange personal contact information.  

Do it. 

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@jennaboyer 

BLOCK the buyer BEFORE doing anything else.

Adding that buyer to your "blocked bidder list" will cease ALL communications from them.

They will think they are sending a message to you, but it will never be received.

Also................  make not of the address that they provided and watch for that addy on future purchases as the buyer may attempt a block by using another, or a new account to bypass the "block".

You are dealing with a "gamer". They will "game" you anyway they can.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Cancel the order by using "buyer cancelled".

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@traditonalproducts wrote:

Cancel the order by using "buyer cancelled".

That is abuse of the process by the seller because it is not true.  The seller can get in trouble with Ebay for doing that.

When we file for a cancellation the buyer gets an email and that email tells the buyer what reason the seller used for cancelling the transaction.  

Clearly this is a problematic buyer and it is likely they would pick up on the reason the seller chose and report that to Ebay.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 13 of 21
latest reply

In this particular case, I frankly would not care if the reason for cancellation is kosher or not - no one should have to put up with abuse and then take a kick in the shins from eBay for doing it by cancelling OOS. I would either cancel for problem with buyer's address, or just ship the item to him.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

In this particular case, I frankly would not care if the reason for cancellation is kosher or not - no one should have to put up with abuse and then take a kick in the shins from eBay for doing it by cancelling OOS. I would either cancel for problem with buyer's address, or just ship the item to him.

Amen.  Or just ship *something* to him.  

Message 15 of 21
latest reply