cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promoted listings

OK so after years of saying I would never promote a listing I entertained the thought of just looking at what it would cost me. So I go to see and as always ebay tells you NOTHING. OK you can do it from 1% to 100% of what you sold it for. So this means they will also charge me what ever % on shipping also. OK my real question is Where and what does it promote if I do 1% and where does it get promoted at 25% where at 50% and where at 75 %.  Please dont tell me the ebay way and say 75% gets you in more places than 1% because thats just stupid. Where and what EXACTLY do I get for 1% and what EXACTLY do I get for 25 %  then 50% and 75% ?? DO NOT REPLY UNLESS YOU CAN ANSWER MY QUESTION. TELLING ME I GET MORE WITH 25% THAN 1% IS STUPID COMMON SENSE. 

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Promoted listings

Ad rate is the percentage of an item’s final sale price (excluding shipping and taxes), and is only charged when a buyer clicks on the promoted listing and purchases the promoted item within 30 days of that click. The fee is based on the ad rate that was in effect when the promoted listing was last clicked.

Promoted Listings FAQ

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 16 of 27
latest reply

@rock_crushers_unlimited wrote:

Sorry its based on final value fees and final value fees INCLUDE SHIPPING.  That was ebays way of scamming you into forcing free shipping. You should know this. 

Again, suggest you read the help files:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/listing-tips/promoted-listings?id=4164

You choose an ad rate between 1% - 100% of the item's sale price

Promoted listing fee is ONLY on the Sale Price............. 

Final Value fees are on the total of Price+shipping + sales tax, but NOT PL fees.....

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

So even though i put in caps dont answer if you cant answer my question here we are doing EXACTLY what i asked not to do.

Sometimes in life one is faced with a choice to tell someone what they want to hear even though it is wrong, to ignore them entirely, or to actually provide an answer even though you know that it is not what they want to hear.

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

I know people who promote their listings at 1% and do well with those listings. You really have to experiment to find out how it works for you.

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I know people who promote their listings at 1% and do well with those listings. You really have to experiment to find out how it works for you.

Absolutely - I see it all as a game of odds, and since I like to play the odds, I don't mind fiddling with it.

It was only a matter of time on a site that is this huge - I think it's easy to forget that that there are 1.7 billion listings on here.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 20 of 27
latest reply

First; if someone pays 15%; it would tell you that. It tells you what percentage you need to be 'on top'.

Google/Bing etc. has been doing 'pay per click' for ions. 

How else can a person get 'ahead'? It's all about ADVERTISING. This is why ads on the Superbowl cost $5,000,000 and ads on the daytime soap cost $5000. 

The more you pay, the more eyes on your product. Nothing new here and definitely would only be a 'laughing joke' around the attorney office water cooler that takes your $10k to 'look into it' for you. 

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Ad rate is the percentage of an item’s final sale price (excluding shipping and taxes), and is only charged when a buyer clicks on the promoted listing and purchases the promoted item within 30 days of that click. The fee is based on the ad rate that was in effect when the promoted listing was last clicked.

OLD THREAD - THIS HAS NOW CHANGED.

Fees are based on transaction price instead - item, shipping and tax (same as the fee structure), which means we do not know what the promotional fee will be until the transaction has been completed.  Also, promotion is at 2% or up, rather than 1%.

<<A Promoted Listings Standard fee is charged based on the ad rate selected by the seller.  Ad rate is the percentage of an item’s total sale amount (including item price, shipping, taxes, and any other applicable fees), and is only charged when a buyer clicks on the promoted listing and purchases the promoted item within 30 days of that click. The fee is based on the ad rate that was in effect when the promoted listing was last clicked.>>

Promoted Listings FAQ

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 22 of 27
latest reply

I wondered this also. How much more does your listing get viewed for increasing the rate. If I go from 4% to 8% does that mean that I get double the views?

I also wonder if increasing promoted listings (or using it at all) increases your chances of a return due to buyers remorse. Sometimes buyers realize after making a purchase that they could have bought the same item for less money elsewhere.

If a seller gets a return due to buyers remorse do they get reimbursed the promoted listing fee? We already know they lose the fixed transaction fee and shipping costs.

Seems like Promoted Listings could also increase the risk of loss to buyers.

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

At any moment, eBay site can only host/present a limited number of promoted listings out of the entire pool of them. So sellers are placing bids for the opportunity to have their listings selected. Your bid or potential ad fee only impacts how frequently your listing may be selected for promotion on eBay site. Promoted listings are presented through search result, listing page banners and other pages on eBay. A plethora of factors are considered by eBay's search algorithm when determining the search placement of promoted listings that are equally distributed on every page of the search result.

"What do we live for, if it's not to make life less difficult for each other?" — G Eliot
Message 24 of 27
latest reply

just incase you missed the announcement- ebay IS charging the promoted listing fee on the TOTAL of the sale now including shipping AND sales tax- just like they do with the FVF

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

Old thread.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 26 of 27
latest reply

@rock_crushers_unlimited wrote:

10,000 other ads are before yours. Time for some letters to the Attorney General 

And just exactly how would YOU rank those 10,000 items. Writing letters to your attorney general will do you no good whatsoever. Everyone want to be an internet lawyer these days.

Message 27 of 27
latest reply