cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promoted Listings - More Fees as of March 30th

https://www.ebayads.com/2023/02/15/seller-announcement-promoted-listings-standard-fees-are-changing/

What’s changing?
  • As we continue working to help make your ads more engaging and helpful for buyers, we will be expanding our definition of a click for Standard and Advanced ads to include interactions with new features and functionality of your ads. In addition to when a buyer clicks through to your listing page, we will now include when a buyer clicks on the heart icon to add an item to their watchlist from a Promoted Listing.
  • We will be expanding what we qualify and report as an Attributed Sale for Promoted Listings Standard to include when a buyer clicks on one of your Standard ads and then purchases any of your Promoted Listings Standard items within 30 days.
  • In anticipation of upcoming product launches, we have clarified that certain account optimization features (e.g., dynamic bidding) may be managed through your account settings. Please stay tuned for announcements on when these will be available to you.
GLORIOUS!

March shipping tip: Size matters. Enter accurate package dimensions on the listing form and the shipping label.
Message 1 of 184
latest reply
183 REPLIES 183

Re: Promoted Listings - More Fees as of March 30th

As near as I can tell, any search that would return an item will return only the promoted listing. Organic sales for promoted listings are vanishingly small.

Message 31 of 184
latest reply

@rodneywhite5 wrote:

Just to confirm, if I have one promoted listing "A" and the buyer clicks on my other listings after having started at Listing "A", then while looking through other inventory, selects item "B" which is *NOT* promoted, there is no additional fee associated with that, is that correct? It's only if both products happen to be promoted, is that correct?

That's my understanding.

Secondly, if Promoted item "A" is at 8% promoted, then wind up buying Promoted item "C" which was at 3% promotion, is eBay collecting 8% or 3%?

8% on widget A and 3% on widget C.

GLORIOUS!

March shipping tip: Size matters. Enter accurate package dimensions on the listing form and the shipping label.
Message 32 of 184
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@zamo-zuan wrote:

Has anyone actually tested PL over the last year to see how it actually works?

I haven't run tests, but I can provide a bit of data. I generate a lot of multi-item sales (buyers use shopping cart and make one payment). Many of them are currently charged an ad fee for one item but not the rest. These are items included in an order discount. So for me, I'll see a big increase in ad fees based on this info I posted above:

Buyer finds Widget A through promoted listings. Then they see you're running a discount 15% off when you buy 2 or more because there's a banner on the listing. So they click on that order discount banner and add 3 more items to their cart. If all 4 items the buyer purchased are part of a PL campaign, you'll be charged the ad rate on all 4 items instead of just the first item. Currently you're charged an ad rate for just the first item.

@wastingtime101 no, PL ad rate is charged more then once on orders with multiple items, I know this cause I have buyers who purchase more then one item and on some of those items the PL fee is charged for every single item in that order, but still stands the same to the old question, how do you know the buyer clicked on any PL listing at all? You DON'T, never have, never will, because ebay will not under any circumstance show PROOF of that, and as said in the past, it would eventually come to them charging PL fees on every sale, because that is and always was their ultimate goal. Just as seeing from this update announcement, they are saying they will change PL fees on every sale, regardless of promoted or not, and all have to do is say "x buyer clicked on x PL listing first, regardless of what listing they actually bought or how they actually viewed it" (yeah that is interpretation of their wording) 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 33 of 184
latest reply

US:  "Wouldn't it just be fair to only charge a fee when someone actually clicks on an ad and buys that item?"

Ebay...  "Ha ha... Yeah if the world was fair and simple that would be the case but since we are smarter and bigger than you basically we're going to use technology and algorithms to calculate fees on promoted listings, because we can.  You can't write code, but we can."

Message 34 of 184
latest reply

It's just fee bullying.  Plain and simple.

Message 35 of 184
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

@wastingtime101 no, PL ad rate is charged more then once on orders with multiple items, I know this cause I have buyers who purchase more then one item and on some of those items the PL fee is charged for every single item in that order

Sometimes yes, but most of the time that's not what I see. Here's an order I shipped yesterday. One widget = ad fee, one widget = no ad fee.

PL-multiitemorder.png

GLORIOUS!

Message 36 of 184
latest reply

@mybigsale wrote:

Is there any possibility eBay will consider future improvements based on seller feedback and requests? 

The short answer is no.

Message 37 of 184
latest reply

Just another money grab from Feebay. I stopped using the the promoted listings scam long ago.

Message 38 of 184
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

@wastingtime101 no, PL ad rate is charged more then once on orders with multiple items, I know this cause I have buyers who purchase more then one item and on some of those items the PL fee is charged for every single item in that order

Sometimes yes, but most of the time that's not what I see. Here's an order I shipped yesterday. One widget = ad fee, one widget = no ad fee.

PL-multiitemorder.png

correct, either way, can be 1 item in the order, or all items...had some where no PL fee was charged any of the items... but that rare... what I'm saying is we still have no real idea one way or the other if buyer really clicked on any PL, something that has been brought up since the start of this, that is why they can now say "we are charging PL for every item" because it's simply their word against yours. The experiment of not using PL has shown people sales drop to nothing, and so they know they have the entire selling community right where they want them, either use them and sell or don't and face no sales...even the people who say "no sales in a month/no views" would just result more of the same. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 39 of 184
latest reply

Same ol, same ol.  Screw the seller.

I've detested this since it first appeared:

"Your listings are full of selling potential. Use Promoted Listings $tandard and get them in front of interested buyers in just a few clicks."  ... and if you don't, your items will never be seen.

Message 40 of 184
latest reply

@rodneywhite5 "Just to confirm, if I have one promoted listing "A" and the buyer clicks on my other listings after having started at Listing "A", then while looking through other inventory, selects item "B" which is *NOT* promoted, there is no additional fee associated with that, is that correct? It's only if both products happen to be promoted, is that correct?"

Yes, and no. You are charged the fee if Product A was clicked on as a PL, and Product B is part of a current PLS campaign, even if it is shown to your buyer as an organic listing. The fee will NOT apply if Product B is shown as organic AND is NOT part of a current PLS campaign. 

Think about it. If a buyer clicks on Product B as a PLS and buys it, it doesn't matter whether he clicked on Product A before that or not. Just as today: If a buyer clicks on a PLS and buys it, the PLS fee applies. 

What is different with this is: An item can be in a PLS campaign but it can be shown to a particular buyer as an organic listing. Today, if it is shown as organic, even though it is part of your campaign, there is no PLS fee. After this change, if it is shown as organic AND is part of an active PLS campaign, you will pay the PLS fee IF the buyer had clicked on one of your promoted listings within the previous 30 days. 

Message 41 of 184
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

what I'm saying is we still have no real idea one way or the other if buyer really clicked on any PL, 

Yep, absolutely correct. Sponsored ads (across the internet, not just on eBay) are in large part a trust-based system. Many platforms have had issues, been exposed for overcharging. Haven't seen that on eBay yet as I don't think anybody has done that level of widespread testing to confirm one way or the other.

GLORIOUS!

Message 42 of 184
latest reply

@m60driver wrote:

@mybigsale wrote:

Is there any possibility eBay will consider future improvements based on seller feedback and requests? 

The short answer is no.

**bleep**. After 20 years I was still hoping.

You just shattered my dream!

Message 43 of 184
latest reply

Yay! More expenses to offset the annoying profit. 

Message 44 of 184
latest reply

and you know what that means...mo money, mo money

Message 45 of 184
latest reply