cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private Offer

Hi alan@ebay. I could not make it in time for the chat but I hope you can help with my question.

When I use the Private Offer feature through eBay Messages I cannot find any place on the Reply With Offer page to check a box and have a copy sent to my e-mail and it does not occur automatically as with regular messages or best offers.

I can go to the listing on my selling page and "review all offers", but I want a copy in my e-mail, too.

One reason is that I want confirmation the offer has gone through to the buyer. Sometimes buyers tell me they didn't receive the offer.

From the chat:

For SNAD, just make sure the offer bundle is clearly detailed through your member to member messaging, and in your "message to buyer" section of the offer. That way eBay can see what was included in the order and the associated prices.

This is another important reason to have e-mails of the offer & text for our own record-keeping.

Can you request for copies of Private Offers to be sent to the seller's e-mail and for this feature to be added sooner rather than later, please?

Message 1 of 104
latest reply
103 REPLIES 103

Private Offer

@blueberryjellyfishwrote:

Hi alan@ebay. I could not make it in time for the chat but I hope you can help with my question.

From the chat:

For SNAD, just make sure the offer bundle is clearly detailed through your member to member messaging, and in your "message to buyer" section of the offer. That way eBay can see what was included in the order and the associated prices.

I was too late to respond to the statement above.  Does that really protect us from SNAD?  Even with clear descriptions sellers get hit with SNADs and end up refunding all the time.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 2 of 104
latest reply

Private Offer

I think the text repeated in the offer and messages would be considered the same as an item description in the listing. You can't add photos to an offer, but you can add them to messages beforehand. I don't see why the info in messaging & repeated in the offer wouldn't be treated the same way as the info in a listing if eBay had to review a SNAD situation.

PayPal on the other hand can't see that private offer information the way they can a public listing. Take that as you will.

Message 3 of 104
latest reply

Private Offer

It's all greek to me - even after watching the video - but I don't know that it would be of help to me anyway - I think I'll watch you two and pick your brains!

Message 4 of 104
latest reply

Private Offer

@blueberryjellyfish wrote:

When I use the Private Offer feature through eBay Messages I cannot find any place on the Reply With Offer page to check a box and have a copy sent to my e-mail and it does not occur automatically as with regular messages or best offers.

I can go to the listing on my selling page and "review all offers", but I want a copy in my e-mail, too.

One reason is that I want confirmation the offer has gone through to the buyer. Sometimes buyers tell me they didn't receive the offer.

From the chat:

This is another important reason to have e-mails of the offer & text for our own record-keeping.

Can you request for copies of Private Offers to be sent to the seller's e-mail and for this feature to be added sooner rather than later, please?

Great request! I'm taking recommendations on how to improve this tool should we make enhancements to it. Getting an official email sent to you when you send an offer would be a great feature.

Message 5 of 104
latest reply

Private Offer

@tunicaslot wrote:

It's all greek to me - even after watching the video - but I don't know that it would be of help to me anyway - I think I'll watch you two and pick your brains!

I think the crux of it is that whenever the price needs to change depending on the request from the buyer: discounts, shipping, bundling, parting it out, etc, private offer allows you to quickly send an invoice to a buyer and easy for them to check out and pay you. When do you find the most need for prices to change after communicating with a buyer?

Message 6 of 104
latest reply

Private Offer

@blueberryjellyfish wrote:

From the chat:

You can track the offers you send on an individual listing level by adding the item id to the end of this link: http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ManageBestOffers&itemid=

Message 7 of 104
latest reply

Private Offer

@jmb344wrote:

Great request! I'm taking recommendations on how to improve this tool should we make enhancements to it. Getting an official email sent to you when you send an offer would be a great feature.

Excellent, thank you! More enhancement requests:

- The ability to add photos to private offers.

- The ability to separate item & shipping price in the offer. This would be especially useful if you are bundling extra items or acommodating special shipping requests - it would override the ship cost in the listing which cannot be done the way the feature currently works. Edit to say the field should default to whatever shipping is on the listing, but the seller can check a box to add a new shipping rate to override what's in the listing.

Message 8 of 104
latest reply

Private Offer

@blueberryjellyfishwrote:

From the chat:

The most important reason to have one come to your own email address is that ebay likes to yank messages from your ebay messages any time they feel like it.

Why didn't they just bring back the private listing for an individual instead of generating another gyration where a) the buyer can't send you a zip code(so you have to look up city/state), b) you can include something that has a minimal description(if any), c) no photos, and possibly d) including an item you have listed that will stay listed(or sold while you are doing the 'offer')?

Private Offer

jmb ran out of time,but when you send a offer to a interested buyer and you want to bundle do the items you want to bundle have to be listed on ebay? A example would be if I have a set of dinnerware I just list the dinner plates only can I offer all the other pieces from the set not listed in my bundle offer?

Message 10 of 104
latest reply

Private Offer

@bubbleman2010wrote:

jmb ran out of time,but when you send a offer to a interested buyer and you want to bundle do the items you want to bundle have to be listed on ebay? A example would be if I have a set of dinnerware I just list the dinner plates only can I offer all the other pieces from the set not listed in my bundle offer?

They said yes you can do this. Here's the post

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Community-Chat-Mar-21st-1pm-PDT-Private-Of...

Message 11 of 104
latest reply

Private Offer

I know thats what they said I'm just making sure jmb will be my go to guy when the wheels fall off that wagon....

Message 12 of 104
latest reply

Private Offer

Right now - a buyer will make an offer thru a pm. I'm sure this is very helpful to some - but I don't think in my category it will be helpful - now if it included unsold listings - then yes - it would be beneficial to me - Ebay would still get their cut and I wouldn't be wasting another listing or having to pay for one to relist it for the buyer. And many times - I relist it and they buyer doesn't end up buying it - that frustrates the heck out of me. 

Message 13 of 104
latest reply

Private Offer

bubbleman, Yes, you would be able to do that.

tunicsalot, Not sure this is a major hurdle. My impression is the "reply with offer" button won't appear in the buyer's message because the listing has ended, but couldn't you ask the buyer to send you a message in an active listing,then use the reply with offer button and sell the ended item same as you would sell an item that hasn't yet been listed?
Message 14 of 104
latest reply

Private Offer

I sure hope its true. A set of dinnerware breaks down to 12 listings. I can reduce that to one listing and pay for a subtitle and add to the decription to have them PM to bundle more pieces to the set..... A huge cost savings for a seller...

Message 15 of 104
latest reply