cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prices

Where on gods green earth do some people come up with these prices. They have to be out of their minds. Either they think the buyers are stupid are they are. No reasonable person will pay $50 plus $20 shipping for something like an EMPTY Johnnie Walker Blue Liquor bottle.  People need a reality check.

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Prices

I've spent more than 50 years dealing with collectors of one thing or another.   I will never, ever,  

figure out the inner workings of the mind of a true collector.

Message 16 of 64
latest reply

Prices

Saying "no reasonable person" denotes that one knows ALL people, reasonable and unreasonable, or one is the arbiter of what is reasonable (or unreasonable).  Given the human race, deciding anything like that is not something I'd ever bet on.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 17 of 64
latest reply

Prices

Methinks you don't know very much about the wine and spirits industry. Yes, some people will absolutely pay that much for certain bottles of certain types/vintages of wine/spirits, because the bottles themselves have collector value even without the liquor inside them. My friend owns a liquor store so I get to hear many, many stories.

Did you know that there are a lot of spirits that are released with special collector's edition bottles?

Message 18 of 64
latest reply

Prices

I once saw a shoebox of dryer lint go for $32. No kidding.  I later found out that people buy dryer lint for bird bedding.  Go figure. So folks, don't throw out your dryer lint! Sell it instead on eBay. IDEA - someone should be going around to local laundrymats. They might be the next millionaire.

Message 19 of 64
latest reply

Prices

@robbun_1511 wrote:

Where on gods green earth do some people come up with these prices. They have to be out of their minds. Either they think the buyers are stupid are they are. No reasonable person will pay $50 plus $20 shipping for something like an EMPTY Johnnie Walker Blue Liquor bottle.  People need a reality check.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Why do you want to deny the beholder his bottle and the buyer his profit?

Sold $590 eBay 

Used Johnny Walker Blue Old Label 200th anniversary Empty Bottle set

s-l1200.jpg

Message 20 of 64
latest reply

Prices

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Saying "no reasonable person" denotes that one knows ALL people, reasonable and unreasonable, or one is the arbiter of what is reasonable (or unreasonable).  Given the human race, deciding anything like that is not something I'd ever bet on.

I consider myself reasonable.

Everyone else is unreasonable.   😉

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 21 of 64
latest reply

Prices

It is not illegal for an individual in their own home to put liquor in a bottle. They can put it in a bathtub if they want. It is illegal for bars or to sell to someone else.

Message 22 of 64
latest reply

Prices

Well,   Yeah.    

Message 23 of 64
latest reply

Prices

I was talking about bars and restaurants...cruise ship bars and so on for it to be illegal.

Message 24 of 64
latest reply

Prices

One can put anything in a bottle at home legally ....but what's to keep a bar owner taking it to his bar establishment...

Message 25 of 64
latest reply

Prices

Yep. Drink the booze and sell the bottle. 

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 26 of 64
latest reply

Prices

Good luck sealing that bottle up to look like it's unopened anyway.

Message 27 of 64
latest reply

Prices

Trust me, anyone willing to pay at a bar for JW Blue is going to know the difference, so not likely.

Empty Crystal Head vodka bottles go well at Halloween btw.

Message 28 of 64
latest reply

Prices

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

One can put anything in a bottle at home legally ....but what's to keep a bar owner taking it to his bar establishment...

I mean, what's to stop that same bar owner from buying a bottle of average-price booze at the store, drinking it, refilling it with super-cheap booze and then taking it to his bar?

Message 29 of 64
latest reply

Prices

@dnasilver wrote:

It is not illegal for an individual in their own home to put liquor in a bottle. They can put it in a bathtub if they want.

~*My preference, always.*~

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 30 of 64
latest reply