cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prices

Where on gods green earth do some people come up with these prices. They have to be out of their minds. Either they think the buyers are stupid are they are. No reasonable person will pay $50 plus $20 shipping for something like an EMPTY Johnnie Walker Blue Liquor bottle.  People need a reality check.

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Re: Prices

"One man's trash is another man's treasure." - Unknown

Message 2 of 64
latest reply

A buyer with a budget  looking to impress his/her friends by having a " full" bottle of JW Blue may think it's worth it to pay that amount. They can fill it up with two- buck- chuck and no one's any the wiser. Until they try drinking it.

An actual full bottle of JW Blue will set you back between 230- 400 bucks.

Who knows what drives buyers to pay what they do sometimes. But if I had an empty bottle that is essentially trash  that I could sell and make a bit of coin on, why not? It is up to the buyer to decide what is worth buying and what isn't.

Message 3 of 64
latest reply

You may not like the prices sellers charge for their items. But there is always someone out there that will think it’s a great deal. 

Message 4 of 64
latest reply

Who is to say if a price is actually unreasonable? Collectors will pay top dollar to acquire something they need to complete a collection, which to others seems ludicrous. I have sold many items over the years for what I would consider an unreasonable price, yet they sold, and the buyers were thrilled to get it. To each their own. Best of luck to all of us....

Message 5 of 64
latest reply

@robbun_1511 

My grandmother had a very nondescript sugar bowl that another family member got. 
I paid above market value to have one of my own. 

I broke an item while at a BnB and paid above market value to replace it. 

Some sellers make typos. Maybe they meant to list it at $5. 

Shipping isn’t cheap. $20 is not out of line, if the seller is packaging it well. 
Shipping is the cost of shipping, but it can include handling fees as well. The packaging materials and time and ink and paper and gas and tape have to be accounted for somewhere. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 6 of 64
latest reply

Some sellers ask 2, 3, 4, 5, 10x what they hope to get for the item. They often have best offer enabled and will negotiate...

Message 7 of 64
latest reply

It is illegal to put alcohol from one bottle into another...but what's to say someone put a cheaper one in a bottle and sell it as Johnnie Walker Blue Liquor bottle. I don't think such bottles should be sold. But this is likely why it is being sold. Again...it is illegal.

Message 8 of 64
latest reply

@robbun_1511 wrote:

Where on gods green earth do some people come up with these prices. They have to be out of their minds. Either they think the buyers are stupid are they are. No reasonable person will pay $50 plus $20 shipping for something like an EMPTY Johnnie Walker Blue Liquor bottle.  People need a reality check.

You would be surprised what people will buy/pay for on ebay.

Every time I buy a bottle of Disaronno I look for a "limited edition" bottle.

When the bottle is empty I sell it on ebay, sometimes for almost as much as the full bottle cost.

Does that make me stupid or the buyer?

Not mine but here is an example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314572010339

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 9 of 64
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

It is illegal to put alcohol from one bottle into another...but what's to say someone put a cheaper one in a bottle and sell it as Johnnie Walker Blue Liquor bottle. I don't think such bottles should be sold. But this is likely why it is being sold. Again...it is illegal.

It would make sense for it to be illegal to sell, but I'd be surprised if it's illegal to do in your own house to try to impress your friends. 

Message 10 of 64
latest reply

@rosszonebricks wrote:

"One man's trash is another man's treasure." - Unknown

Wasn't that Fred G. Sanford?   😉

fredsanford.jpg

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 11 of 64
latest reply

I'm sure you can get quite a few bucks for your old iphone boxes, samsung too. I have sold Beats by Dre cartons. People that refurbish and/or scam love authentic packing materials. It allows them to mark up their prices even higher. It's all in the presentation.

Time to go list my iphone box now. Pro Tip: Save all of the plastic wrap, sleeves, manual, or anything else included from the factory to include in your future sale of the box.

Message 12 of 64
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

@robbun_1511 wrote:

You would be surprised what people will buy/pay for on ebay.

Every time I buy a bottle of Disaronno I look for a "limited edition" bottle.

When the bottle is empty I sell it on ebay, sometimes for almost as much as the full bottle cost.

Does that make me stupid or the buyer?

Not mine but here is an example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314572010339

That's a pretty cool looking bottle. I don't think we have Disaronno in Canada... if we do, it's probably at the big liquor stores that have all the international stuff. I can't really drink alcohol, so I don't shop there anymore.

C.

Message 13 of 64
latest reply

@the-hook-and-the-loop wrote:

I'm sure you can get quite a few bucks for your old iphone boxes, samsung too. I have sold Beats by Dre cartons. People that refurbish and/or scam love authentic packing materials. It allows them to mark up their prices even higher. It's all in the presentation.

Time to go list my iphone box now. Pro Tip: Save all of the plastic wrap, sleeves, manual, or anything else included from the factory to include in your future sale of the box.

If I know my empty packing materials are going to help people commit fraud, I'll just throw them in the dumpster.

I don't really buy hip and popular items for myself anyway, so I don't end up with any such leftover items.

C.

Message 14 of 64
latest reply

Perhaps the price is a "place holder" while they are in the process of finishing the current bottle, and will lower the price after they sober up 🙂

Did not even know there was a "blue". No longer a drinker.

When I was stationed in SEA, and went to town I would "brown bag" some JW Black in a local "rotgut" bottle, so that no one would desire to bum any from me 🙂

Message 15 of 64
latest reply