cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Positive Sales since GTC started

We have all heard from the sellers claiming that GTC is hurting their sales and I can empathize. These seem to be the sellers who listed primarily with the short duration fixed price listings (less than 30 days). 

I would like to hear from the sellers who have always used GTC or 30 day FP listings that are seeing the positive side to this...

I have always used the 30 day option on my Fixed Price listings and track my numbers historically. My sales are up 27%, year over year, since GTC took effect on March 18th (thru today).

Any other sellers out there, who have always used 30 day FP listings and/or GTC prior to this change, that are seeing positive sales numbers since March 18th? 

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Re: Positive Sales since GTC started

@mcdougle4248 

Thanks for your feedback! I'm concentrating on diversifying my inventory and adding more fixed price as well. This online game is interesting to say the least!

My wife saw me looking at your ornaments and I would not be surprised if you get an order from her at some point.

You have very cool creations there! Love it!

Good luck!

Message 16 of 53
latest reply

@this*old*attic wrote:

No kidding!

I got home from work last night and my plumber told me my whole line is cracked and my Gardner showed me a bee hive has moved into my attic!

Where’s the screaming emoji?

screamscreamscream  So sorry, both of these situations sound terrible and expensive, too.

Message 17 of 53
latest reply

I peeked because of your comment.

Fun! Fun! Fun!

Message 18 of 53
latest reply

@rdj831 wrote:

@mcdougle4248 

Thanks for your feedback! I'm concentrating on diversifying my inventory and adding more fixed price as well. This online game is interesting to say the least!

My wife saw me looking at your ornaments and I would not be surprised if you get an order from her at some point.

You have very cool creations there! Love it!

Good luck!

You are welcome and thank you for your compliments.

Message 19 of 53
latest reply

I've been using 30 day fixed price listings for the past several years.  I'm a low volume seller in a niche market.  Once the items are sold out, that's usually it.  No way to replenish stock.

My sales have been down in the dumps.  Jan-Feb probably sold 7 or 8 items each month (I looked once, but not going to again).  For March I had 10 sales and 26 days into April I have sold 14 items.

Years ago all my listings were GTC, but many sellers said 30 days fixed price was better because you got a boost for newly listed and again for ending soonest, so I slowly changed over to 30 days fixed price, adding in 8 or 9 listings each day as others ended.  I understand for GTC you get the newly listed boost only for the first time, but you get the ending soonest each time it's about to roll-over.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 20 of 53
latest reply

@this*old*attic wrote:

No kidding!

I got home from work last night and my plumber told me my whole line is cracked and my Gardner showed me a bee hive has moved into my attic!

Where’s the screaming emoji?

Here you go!scream

That's a lot of bad news to get all at once.  I understand the scream!

Message 21 of 53
latest reply

My sales are definitely up so far!  I sell mostly one-offs rather than multi-quantity items and this month I've seen a significant jump in sales over last month.  I sold a bunch of things that had been listed in the past couple of months, but then I also sold a few things I'd had hanging around for over a year, which I'm taking as a good sign that GTC listings ARE in fact getting more search engine visibility.

Message 22 of 53
latest reply

I haven’t sold a thing since GTC. However I attribute it to several things: 1) I moved 300 of my 350 listings , 2) My items have always taken 30 -90 days to sell if not sold in the first week 3) To accommodate for the GTC I only list on the same day once a month instead of a few times a week, I’m sure that’s ranked me down in the algorithm, 4) I stopped using promotional listings, 5) I stopped offering free shipping, 6) I stopped offering free returns, 7) It’s close to summer,  😎 A few of my regulars have stated the big tax refund they thought they had didn’t happen. I just keep checking the boards to see if there is any positive changes for sellers. And then the email from PayPal stating when you refund they keep fees. 

Message 23 of 53
latest reply

If you feel this is good for your sales - than that's great. I tend to believe like Big deals that's it the time of year with many receiving income tax returns - but please stop trying to convince everyone it's right for them.

I've mistakenly in the past clicked GTC on a few of my clothing listings - none sold in 90 days. You miss the visibility increase that 30 day listings produce when you relist or sell similar. 

Right now - I've sold more items in a totally saturated category and earned more $$ than you in the past 90 days with 1/2 of the listings you have and yet this month I'm down. Each of us knows what's right for us and how much we need to say we're doing good or better than usual. There is no box that we all fit into as we are individuals.

If GTC was all that it's hyped to be  - your items would be flying out the door. The only thing that makes us equal now is the fact - we get a bump on visibility towards the end of the listing - period. It makes everything harder when it comes to varying your listing times and management of the accounts for those that rotate their listings. 

Message 24 of 53
latest reply

You must remember this is a whine and cry board. Positive statements are not allowed here. Only eBay is Evil statements are allowed. 

Message 25 of 53
latest reply

@tunicaslot 

I'm not trying to convince anyone that GTC is the way to go. The purpose behind my question was to give people a chance to share what is working for them. We have been hearing a lot about what doesn't work. Success in selling on the internet is about adapting to change. EBay isn't the only selling platform that has drastically changed the way people sell.

I totally agree that GTC isn't right for everyone. However, there are sellers who are having success with it and I wanted to hear their insights. I'm still learning myself.

There are many struggling sellers that can benefit from those insights. Some of them are the sellers who use one set business model as a path to success, thinking that it will never change, and the money will roll in forever. Well, guess what, it doesn't. They can adapt and overcome or fizzle out. That is their only choice.

As for comparing your sales and listing count to mine- so what. I am selling to a niche market. It is apples vs oranges. I do just fine in the world at large. This platform isn't my top selling venue and I don't have all of my inventory listed here. I would like it to be my top selling platform because this is where I started. Time will tell.

Message 26 of 53
latest reply

@slideshopper 

Yeah, no kidding… Lots of whine but no cheese...

Message 27 of 53
latest reply

You sell if people want your items. Period!

Behind all this "yeah! my sales increased! so I am a plant for Ebay" or "no way! My sales are down! so I hate Ebay"...…...lies the foundation of a method that has taken a certain rights from you, the right to decide to end your item in 30 days. 

Of course, I never had to deal with a quantity of 1 turned into 2 as I've noticed lately. Had I not caught that "gesture" from the famous glitches from Ebay, I would have been begging Ebay to not ding my seller's rating, thus making them take another 4% from my earnings. 

I repeat, you sell what people want, if you list it at a reasonable price. Or, as they say, "racing to the bottom". 

Ohhhh….I've sold items that I've had listed for a year or two. You never know when somebody needs them. 

latest reply

@slideshopper wrote:

You must remember this is a whine and cry board. Positive statements are not allowed here. Only eBay is Evil statements are allowed. 

You've been around long enough to know that I've been one of eBay's supporters as well as others here who now realize that many of the things we told the whiners were false or that the whiners actually had some merit as displayed in a post by Jason the other day as he has encountered the same problem he's said didn't exist to sellers in the past.

GTC is great for those with multiple variations and niche markets where there is a following - for the average run of the mill seller here - which are what most sellers are - it's not a good fit. 

Message 29 of 53
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

My sales are definitely up so far!  I sell mostly one-offs rather than multi-quantity items and this month I've seen a significant jump in sales over last month.  I sold a bunch of things that had been listed in the past couple of months, but then I also sold a few things I'd had hanging around for over a year, which I'm taking as a good sign that GTC listings ARE in fact getting more search engine visibility.

Congratulations, @yuzuha I'm very happy to hear your sales are up!  Hopefully that trend will continue; I wish you all the best!

Message 30 of 53
latest reply