cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Check Your Variation Listings In Search

I was just doing a search for my ornaments, using the term  Recycled Can Ornaments.  My variation composite/stitched photos are not showing at all for any of my variation listings.  The images being returned are random single items from within the variation and not all items from the variation listings are shown as individuals.  

Is anyone else seeing this?  Do we know if this is an intentional change?

Message 1 of 78
latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

@savebuypost 

Yes, this a known issue to eBay.  Unfortunately, there has not been a date announced for a possible fix.  Sorry you are experiencing this, too. 

Yup. Looks like the glitch is still running amuck with my listings. And btw, I’ve relisted a few listings two days ago and yesterday and guess what... the glitch is still attacking those new listings. So @savebuypost @you can go tell any CS who tells you to relist to “SHUT UP, YOU DON’T KNOW ANYTHING!” Classic case of someone just saying anything to get you off the phone. I really get annoyed by people who do that... I respect them more when they admit they don’t know. I’m surprised they also didn’t tell you to clear your cache and cookies. Steering people/sellers wrong can have damaging effects... you would’ve lost all that sales history and watchers that many sellers value.

Don’t worry, I didn’t relist my items because of that recommendation. It did it for other reasons, with the added benefit to prove that lazy CS wrong.

Message 46 of 78
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

@savebuypost 

Yes, this a known issue to eBay.  Unfortunately, there has not been a date announced for a possible fix.  Sorry you are experiencing this, too. 

Yup. Looks like the glitch is still running amuck with my listings. And btw, I’ve relisted a few listings two days ago and yesterday and guess what... the glitch is still attacking those new listings. So @savebuypost @you can go tell any CS who tells you to relist to “SHUT UP, YOU DON’T KNOW ANYTHING!” Classic case of someone just saying anything to get you off the phone. I really get annoyed by people who do that... I respect them more when they admit they don’t know. I’m surprised they also didn’t tell you to clear your cache and cookies. Steering people/sellers wrong can have damaging effects... you would’ve lost all that sales history and watchers that many sellers value.

Don’t worry, I didn’t relist my items because of that recommendation. It did it for other reasons, with the added benefit to prove that lazy CS wrong.

I also did a relist and a new variation listing over the last couple of days and it made no difference...glitch still present.  

Message 47 of 78
latest reply

@mcdougle4248 

I'm sure you've thought of this crazy idea..........can you determine if it's a specific "picture position" i.e. 2/3/4, that's showing?.......and if so, have you tried swapping the gallery pic to that position?   Would be alot of work/rework when/if they fix it...but would be curious to know if it would work.........

Message 48 of 78
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

@mcdougle4248 

I'm sure you've thought of this crazy idea..........can you determine if it's a specific "picture position" i.e. 2/3/4, that's showing?.......and if so, have you tried swapping the gallery pic to that position?   Would be alot of work/rework when/if they fix it...but would be curious to know if it would work.........

I have swapped around some of the composite/stitched photos so that there is a different photo in the number 1 position and that does not do anything.  Is that what you mean? 

I have noticed the variation photo showing up in search is random and changes periodically during the day.  That could be because I search my own stuff so often and AI is just trying to get me to buy...I don't know.

Message 49 of 78
latest reply

@mcdougle4248 wrote:
...I have noticed the variation photo showing up in search is random and changes periodically during the day.  That could be because I search my own stuff so often and AI is just trying to get me to buy....

True. Searching your own items returns an array that is different than a customer's view.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 50 of 78
latest reply

@shipscript wrote:

@mcdougle4248 wrote:
...I have noticed the variation photo showing up in search is random and changes periodically during the day.  That could be because I search my own stuff so often and AI is just trying to get me to buy....

True. Searching your own items returns an array that is different than a customer's view.

Thank you for chiming in @shipscript .  I wish there were something I could do, other than ending the variation listings and putting them back up as single listings...oh that is sooo much work, I really don't even want to think about it.

Message 51 of 78
latest reply

Yes, I've tried this. I noticed that the image seemed to be the first one in the list where you enter the price and quantity. I chose a listing with only four colours, deleted the variations (I reckon eBay indexes these as you create them, so you have to re-create as new), then I put the main image in position one as 'Dummy Colour Do Not Buy'. This placed it at the top of the price/quantity list. I saved the listing, viewed it and … wait for it … the search image was still wrong. The search had brought back another variation-related image. I spent 25 years as an applications tech designer and I just can't figure out the logic that the search is using.
Message 52 of 78
latest reply

Sorry, What I meant was the main photo isn't showing on the search as the main photo like it used to, it just shows a random picture of one, instead of the whole group.

Message 53 of 78
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

@mcdougle4248 

@dhbookds 

For me it appears random.  Sometimes it is the 2nd pic, sometimes the 6th, sometimes the 4th, etc.  I don't see any logic to it.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 54 of 78
latest reply

@shipscript wrote:

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

@shipscript 

I agree, but in this case when I view her listings I see the same thing she does.  And I see it on lots of other sellers listings as well.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 55 of 78
latest reply

I hat and never use Best Match as the choices are ONLY what Ebay chooses you to buy.
Message 56 of 78
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

I'm sure you've thought of this crazy idea..........can you determine if it's a specific "picture position" i.e. 2/3/4, that's showing?.......and if so, have you tried swapping the gallery pic to that position?

It's always the first picture position, but the problem is that it's pulling a variation photo instead of the main listing photo.

Say you're selling t-shirts in various colors. The listing photos can show all color options in the first photo, size chart in second. Then the variation photos show only  that color - blue, black, etc. What's happening is instead of showing the main listing photo with all colors it's showing a random variation photo - like the blue t-shirt.  It's not about picture position, it's about listing photo versus variation photo.

The only way to force it is to make the lead photo for every variation the same as the listing's lead photo - and that's a giant blinking neon sign inviting SNADs.

I checked 50 listings of mine and other posters in this thread in active search view looking at choice order on the listing and quantities of each variation. 46 showed the photo of the variation sorted first in the drop down choices on the listing unless it was out of stock - then it showed the photo of the first variation in order that had stock. The other 4 listings showed photos of random variations. The sampling is too small to mean anything, especially since there's a percent that doesn't follow the rule of the majority.

In sold search view it's showing the photo of the variation that last sold and that looks consistent. The same listing can show different photos in active and sold search views.

Over a week of this and it has completely killed my sales since most of my listings use variations. Of all the bugs this year, this is the worst by far.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 57 of 78
latest reply

I was researching similar issues and the problem goes back to 2013!!!!!!

It is not fixed yet and is very annoying and definitely affects sales on my accounts!

Message 58 of 78
latest reply

Hi,

Here are some examples of items:

Message 59 of 78
latest reply

I'm still hounding eBay on all channels but so far no one has had the decency to actually give any information except the standard we will pass on your information and details. Why eBay does not provide customer service for their Sellers is beyond me.
Message 60 of 78
latest reply