cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People are nuts if they use ebay managed payments.

Does everyone realize they are going to charge 25 cents per item in any given transaction. For example if a buyer buys 10 different packs of seeds from me and checkouts with one payment in one transaction paypal charges me 2.9% plus 30 cents period!. If you use ebay managed payment for that same transaction ebay charges you 2.7% and 25 cents for each item so in other words 25 cents times 10 items whereas paypal only charges 30 cents one time no matter how many items are in a single transaction. That is outrageous. On a $1 item they are taking 1/4 of my items price just on the fee so with paypal that would cost me 59 cents for the fees just for the payment, Ebay would charge me $2.79 just for the fees on the payment of 10.00 in sales that had 10 items in it. That does not even include the 9.15% fee they will charge for the regular fees which would be 91 cents more. Are they nuts? That is facts people. You better read very carefully before you switch to it and when ebay makes it mandatory i will be leaving ebay for good. Ebay you have become nothing more than greedy thieves. Again those are the facts people. If you sell cheap small items it will destroy your business or you will have to raise your prices even higher and why would people want to pay even higher on ebay when they can get the same item from the same seller who are on better marketplaces with cheaper prices. Ebay this is the last nail in your coffin. Whoever is leading you with these new policies they are going to put you right out of business as other marketplaces are already putting a hurting on you. Ebay you better wise up. No way you will ever get 25 cents per item on a single transaction from me with multiple items in it that should be only one fee as it is one transaction. You want us to give good combined shipping prices to buyers and then  your going to try and pull this nonsense. Not with my business you will not.

Message 1 of 94
latest reply
93 REPLIES 93

Managed Payments will be mandatory for all sellers by the end of 2021.  Early optin sellers have a grandfathered clause that does not charge them the 0.25 per item number.   The per item fee starts in Oct. 2019

I am not sure how long it is for but right now anyone opted into MP before June 4th will not have the per item number fee.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 2 of 94
latest reply

"ebay charges you 2.7% and 25 cents for each item"

That doesn't sound right.

Message 3 of 94
latest reply

@toooldtorock wrote:

Here is a link to the payments terms of use policy.  Look under section 3 and then payment processing fees.

https://pages.ebay.com/payment/2.0/terms.html

Good Luck Selling!

Message 4 of 94
latest reply

I just received the offer to join managed payments today and carefully read the offer details. As the original poster has stated, you will be charged .25 per LISTING, not per transaction! It is very specific in the offer details that the .25 applies for each listing in the order. So if you combine listings for shipping, you will be charged .25 for each listing in your combined shipping.

Message 5 of 94
latest reply

@mvls1 wrote:

I just received the offer to join managed payments today and carefully read the offer details. As the original poster has stated, you will be charged .25 per ITEM not per transaction! It is very specific in the offer details that the .25 applies for each item in the order.

If the buyer buys several from the same listing and or a variation listing you will only get a 0.25 fee for the single item number not each purchase.

It really should be looked at as per transaction per item number fee.  Same item number purchases inside the same transaction will have the single 0.25 fee.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 6 of 94
latest reply

That works for some sellers with multiple item variation listings, but not for buyer who purchase from different listings a seller has and wants the seller to combine shipping. Then the seller is out of luck unless ebay amends the manage payments terms for some item categories.

Message 7 of 94
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

Managed Payments will be mandatory for all sellers by the end of 2021.  Early optin sellers have a grandfathered clause that does not charge them the 0.25 per item number.   The per item fee starts in Oct. 2019

I am not sure how long it is for but right now anyone opted into MP before June 4th will not have the per item number fee.

Good Luck Selling!

Well I at least know where I'll be at the end of 2021. Not here, that's for sure.

Message 8 of 94
latest reply

@mvls1 wrote:

That works for some sellers with multiple item variation listings, but not for buyer who purchase from different listings a seller has and wants the seller to combine shipping. Then the seller is out of luck unless ebay amends the manage payments terms for some item categories.

I doubt eBay would make any exceptions based on a buyer buying from two or more different listings. eBay staff has said that the occurrence of multi listing id's per transaction is not a very high number.

Sellers can add the extra 0.25 per extra item number to the discounted shipping rate.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 9 of 94
latest reply

@toooldtorock wrote:

@toooldtorock 

Unfortunately it is correct.  If a buyer purchases a few items off of one of your listings, then the transaction fee remains 25 cents.  But if the buyer purchases from several different listings, then they will be charging 25 cents PER listing transaction.

I have no idea why Ebay thinks this is a good idea other than it will make some serious money for them.  There isn't ANY other money processor that even comes close to charging fees like this.

Ebay once bragged that it's payment process would save sellers money to a process that has higher fees than ANY other processing service out there for sellers that typically deal with buyers of multiple items.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 94
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

@mvls1 wrote:

I just received the offer to join managed payments today and carefully read the offer details. As the original poster has stated, you will be charged .25 per ITEM not per transaction! It is very specific in the offer details that the .25 applies for each item in the order.

If the buyer buys several from the same listing and or a variation listing you will only get a 0.25 fee for the single item number not each purchase.

It really should be looked at as per transaction per item number fee.  Same item number purchases inside the same transaction will have the single 0.25 fee.

Good Luck Selling!

Yes you are absolutely correct.  But for some sellers this is going to be a huge fee to contend with.  At a minimum sellers will need to raise their pricing my at least 28 cents to cover the listing transaction fee and the selling fees since you need to raise your sales price.  By itself, it doesn't at all look like much.  But for sellers of low $$ items it is a huge issue.

For example.  I use to sell a line of Barbie Doll Crochet and Plastic Canvas patterns.  These patterns would average selling for under $2 each.  It was often that I would get buyers of multiple items.  So if I had a buyer purchase from 10 different listings, that would be $2.50 in transaction fees verses the current which is 30 cents.  That is a 833% increase on the money processors transaction fee.

It has been a long time since I've had enough purchases by one buyer to fill an Ebay invoice, but last time I did, the invoice maxes out at 40 different items.  That would be one hefty money processing transaction fee.

Certainly most sellers usually sell one offs.  I can agree with that.  But there are lots of sellers that multiple purchases are a regular thing for and something they promote.  This fee is a detriment to that and just plain ridiculously high.  Which is probably why NO OTHER site has any such fee.

Message 11 of 94
latest reply

Buyers purchase multiple items from different listings we have about 10% of the time. I think this can be a more common occurrence for sellers in certain categories, like seeds, postcards, slides, sports cards, flatware, dishes, glassware, clothing, cosmetics, etc., etc., etc. As this policy affects more sellers, I am sure it will become a hotter discussion topic.

Message 12 of 94
latest reply

@mvls1 wrote:

Buyers purchase multiple items from different listings we have about 10% of the time. I think this can be a more common occurrence for sellers in certain categories, like seeds, postcards, slides, sports cards, flatware, dishes, glassware, clothing, cosmetics, etc., etc., etc. As this policy affects more sellers, I am sure it will become a hotter discussion topic.

You can add crafting categories and books to that.  I sell craft books and supplies.  I often get buyers purchasing from multiple different listings.

Message 13 of 94
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

@mvls1 wrote:

Good Luck Selling!

Yes you are absolutely correct.  But for some sellers this is going to be a huge fee to contend with.  At a minimum sellers will need to raise their pricing my at least 28 cents to cover the listing transaction fee and the selling fees since you need to raise your sales price.  By itself, it doesn't at all look like much.  But for sellers of low $$ items it is a huge issue.

Yes I understand.   I am grandfathered into MP so I will not have this fee when it starts but I also am not for this policy.  I asked eBay staff (weekly chat) about it when it was added to the payment terms of use with a generic answer and I doubt they will answer any more about it in the weekly chat. 

My best guess is that these lower priced single item listings are not generating enough business?  Sellers will need to find a solution for these kinds of listings.  Sellers should consider smaller discounts for combined shipping to help cover these extra costs.

Maybe start adding a handling fee  to cover this cost?

Good Luck Selling!

Message 14 of 94
latest reply

@mvls1 wrote:

I think it's definitely a matter of categories, yes-- I would say I only get multi-item purchases about 5% or so of the time.  Most of the time my buyers purchase one thing and that's it.  And when I do get multi-item purchases, it's often of things I could technically have put into a single variation listing: for example, the last one I had was for two identical stuffed bunnies, just in different colors.  I could have set that up as a single variation listing for all three colors of the bunnies.  The one before that was for two keychains of different characters from the same series, which again could have been a variation listing.

I can foresee this being far more of an issue for sellers who sell in categories where multiple purchases of dissimilar items are a common thing.

Message 15 of 94
latest reply