cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal scam concern

Hi folks. Need some advice. I just had a buyer hit the "buy it now" price on a high value item that I have listed on ebay ($23.5k usd)

I log in to my paypal account and see the payment listed as "pending" which I would expect. But the name on the paypal account does not match the name of the ebay buyer and the namde on the paypal address does not match the name of the buyer OR the name on the paypal account and the listed email for this paypal account is yet again a different name.

I'm not shipping till I get a clear answer. Has anyone else been in this situation? What did you do?

thx!

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: PayPal scam concern

You need to call Pay Pal and get a definate answer on what may be going on with this. Be EXTREMELY careful with this transaction. That much money in one transaction is risky to the maximum.

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

I have a store so it is capped at $250 per item.

this ended fine. I cxld the sale, had PayPal refund and all is right w the world.

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

Of course it's insured for that situation where the buyer returns for not as described or doesn't work, and returns an old plastic Casio. Wait, would insurance work in that situation?

No offense, but I think you're nuts for listing this on ebay instead of selling this locally, one on one. Or maybe you have other plans...

Debby Downer

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 18 of 27
latest reply

All sorted. I cxld the buy, had PayPal refund and in my message to the buyer I left my phone number and asked him to call me if he wanted to talk.

somethin was “off” about this buyer. I’ve sold watches like this enough on other forums to know that if I’m not comfortable with a buyer or a seller to just walk away. 

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

Right? That was exactly what I was afraid would happen.
Message 20 of 27
latest reply

$250 (eBay store)
Message 21 of 27
latest reply

@jaugustine3993wrote:

All sorted. I cxld the buy, had PayPal refund and in my message to the buyer I left my phone number and asked him to call me if he wanted to talk.

Oy vey...

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

If you do not sell internationally, someone from that country can buy something and have it shipped to a friend, relative in this country. The problem here is that you do not want to be involved in a hacked account. You must call Pay Pal and be certain that this payment is coming from someone who is the rightful owner of the buying account. There are ways PP can check that. If the international buyer wants the item shipped to the US they can do that. Sometimes they do it to be able to obtain the merch and then the person in the US ships the item to them international. If an item is reshipped after you have sent it to the verified address that Pay Pal tells you to ship you are OK. There have been some forewarding scams going on where a buyer will foreward the package before it arrives to the PP destination address and this is problematic. Again, make sure this is checked out well by PP.

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

Another danger is putting your phone number in the description, and soliciting outside ebay sales. At least that's how it kind of looks. Ebay could pull the listing and even suspend you.

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 24 of 27
latest reply

@kensgiftshopwrote:

The payment is showing pending because the buyer probably used an Echeck to pay, 

Good lord, eBay still accepts e-checks?! 

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

@rainbowpearls2314wrote:

The payment is showing pending because the buyer probably used an Echeck to pay, 

Pay Pal does.

Have a great day
Message 26 of 27
latest reply

@kensgiftshopwrote:

@rainbowpearls2314wrote:

Pay Pal does.

Yes, and the seller has to. Ebay doesn't accept payment and doesn't care as long as it's Paypal. Why would e-checks be a thing of the past?

Side question> Can a seller pay their fees to ebay via e-check? I would think so, but that's a question that's never occured to me and I've never heard discussed.

Message 27 of 27
latest reply